Question

Where to buy new laptop battery

I need a new battery for my HP Laptop.
The price from HP is over $100, but online I can find batteries for half that price. My question is whether it is advisable to use an OEM type battery rather than an HP one; is there any danger of damaging the Laptop?
All comments appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Where to buy new laptop battery
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Where to buy new laptop battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Be sure to tell the full story.

Sometimes it is too late to replace the battery. If the battery degrades to a condition that is overtaxing the laptop charging circuit then the circuit fails and a new battery is not going to cure the problem. Since most systems have this circuit on the motherboard, the cost is usually more than acceptable.

Sorry with all the battery fires and issues over the years I can only think of the maker and companies like Eveready. There is a lot of "OEM type" sales but I can't vouch for them.
Bob

- Collapse -
That was the full story.

The battery has not degraded to any great extent, but I wanted to avoid the problems you alluded to by replacing it earlier rather than later.
I was hoping to receive empirical advice regarding 'cheap' batteries.

- Collapse -
For empirical try this.

Head to amazon.com and find a battery. Read the reviews there. For me I have to stick with the maker's battery since I can't afford what happens with the nonames. It's well published so I don't duplicate the story here.

Good to hear this is pre-failure. I didn't read that above.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Where NOT to buy a Laptop Battery

Buyers need to be very careful not to buy batteries from Laptop battery Co, I made that mistake $89.00 + $9.99 shipping, the battery took three weeks to arrive was DOA (dead on arrival) and also damaged. The packaging was great so the battery was sent damaged, not damaged in transit. I was told how to send it back which I complied with, I paid a further almost $12.00 for return shipping, every time I asked for status I was told not to worry. I thought as I had paid through PayPal I was safe, However, they delayed and delayed until I was paid the 45 day period need to file a claim with PayPal and then they simply stopped responding to my status requests. My suggestion would be to file the claim with PayPal "immediately" there is an issue, it most likely would be the only way they would respond. this assuming of course you decide to even buy from them which I never will. there are so many good companies but it only takes one with bad practices to tarnish online shopping.
Beware

CNET Forums