PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Where should I buy my new PC?

by ITnewb / March 18, 2005 2:53 AM PST

Everyone here seems to be well versed in the online persuit of computer hardware, so here is my question:

Where is the best place to buy a complete system online? My concerns in order of importance are price, customization, and customer service. I'm a casual gamer, at least moderate performance is a must.

I have shopped around at various places, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal I can.

Thank you in advance for any info/ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where should I buy my new PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where should I buy my new PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
But what budget...$1200 or $7000? CRT or LED monitor?
by John Robie / March 18, 2005 3:07 AM PST

Casual gaming leads to more gaming, leads to more money for better computer and/or graphics. Wink

Collapse -
No kidding!
by ITnewb / March 18, 2005 3:18 AM PST

Yeah, the casual gaming is mostly World of Warcraft- It eats up some time, but I'm definitely not too hardcore. Thankfully Blizzard had the insight to make WOW playable on some lower-end machines.
If I could get a machine- no moniter, I have a 17" LCD which I love- for 800 bucks or less, that would be super.
(Don't laugh- I know its possible.)
Any ideas here? The cheaper the better- I just don't want garbage, either.

Collapse -
by John Robie / March 18, 2005 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: No kidding!
Collapse -
by ITnewb / March 18, 2005 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Opps........

I wasn't sure which forum would be best so I figured I would save myself the trouble and use both!

Collapse -
I hopethat you realize that when
by Ray Harinec / March 18, 2005 3:21 AM PST

you make price first priority that is exactly why when you buy a case with a power supply, the supply is usually crap. it's known as low bidding.

Try http://www.monarchcomputer.com at least you are dealing with competent people and know how to build a gaming system.

Collapse -
I agree
by ITnewb / March 18, 2005 3:31 AM PST

The power supply w/ most boxes i have seen is 420w (sometimes 350w). I would rather spend the extra 50-80 bucks to go to a 500w from a decent manufacturer. You are right, though, "price first" is a dangerous mindframe.

Where would you think I could cut my cost a little bit? I don't need dual DVD/CD drives, media card readers, zip drives, blah blah blah, so thats a start. But where else can I save money?

Collapse -
Other than building your
by Ray Harinec / March 18, 2005 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

own, I gave you one good link. They will put in only those items that you want and check it out completely. You are doing the design.

There are more that will do that. I personally don't buy from Tiger Direct because so much of their stuff is bought from mfrs unsold/overstock stuff. I once bought a bunch of Creative Labs CD-ROM's from them. Little did I know that those drives were crap and Creative unloaded them. Threw them all away. But if you know the specific items you can get some good deals from Tiger.

I buy virtually exclusively from newegg, they and their shipping is great. Just don't buy little stuff from them, the way they price shipping on each item can really hurt if you want to buy like 10 ribbon cables or such. [$1.80 per cable, 3.70 each to ship, maybe tapers to 3.00 per cable for 10 LOL]

Collapse -
by chuckieu / March 19, 2005 6:06 AM PST

That's been my only complaint with Newegg. I buy 98% of
my online stuff there and the shipping can be irritating.
I needed multiple items once but cancelled the order because they wanted to charge shipping for each little
item and not on the whole order like most suppliers. Just
venting!!!! chuck

Collapse -
Yep, I go to cyberguys or geeks
by Ray Harinec / March 19, 2005 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Ray,

for that other stuff. I had a big order [lots of small stuff] with cyber and had to call about a credit card question sending to a different address. While checking to correct the problem the girl noticed the shipping cost and said "we can do a lot better than that" and reduced it substantially. I appreciated that.

Collapse -
Build It
by drno / March 18, 2005 8:03 PM PST

I'd suggestyou build your own. Right now there's a free course forming on CNET that covers building your own computer. It's for a high powered gaming system, but the principles are all the same; only the components would be different for a slower system. You can get MOBO and processor combinations pretty cheap. If you have a Micro Center near by, you can go look at the MOBO and decide what you want; need. Shop online for the operating system.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?