Rant

Where's the Online Support for Samsung Galaxy Tab?

The support section of Samsung's website is the worst I have ever encountered. I can't even log in to send them a query because I don't know what category is appropriate to this gadget. It isn't a pc and it can't be a phone because it doesn't take a sim card. Apart from a pain in the butt, can someone tell me what this Galaxy Tab is meant to be?

I'm trying to download Samsung Kies to get apps, but a search of their website for GT-P1010 produces many results without a single precise match. I would gladly bin their precious Tab if it were mine, but it was a birthday present for my special needs niece so this forum is my last resort.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Where's the Online Support for Samsung Galaxy Tab?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Where's the Online Support for Samsung Galaxy Tab?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I bet many will be upset with Android devices.

I am porting some apps to the Android and while I like what I see, there is a problem. Given all we can do with the Android there are some that will be far better off with something a little more "under control" like an iPad. Your post sounds like you need the kind of support you get in an Apple store. These android systems are upsetting to many and the support is as you found (lacking.)

However I have found some good support albeit it at 120USD and up per hour. This can upset some that don't understand how support is no longer bundled with the products.

Did you call 1800SAMSUNG and see if they could help?

Do you have friends with Android phones that will help?
Bob

- Collapse -
Maybe the Galaxy Tab is just for Nerds

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Thank you for your response to my post. No, this being the weekend, I haven't yet phoned Samsung.......will probably do so on Monday. I'm afraid I don't know anyone with an android phone. My niece has an iphone touch which she can manage quite well. This Tab seemed ideal for her because it is more lightweight and portable than a computer. Not ideal, however, if Samsung's tech wizards aren't capable of writing straightforward step-by-step instructions for their website - a link from the Galaxy Tab promotion to the support page would be a step in the right direction. Foolishly, we thought that downloading apps to the Tab would be as easy as downloading to the iphone.

According to the booklet that came with the Tab, to download apps we need to install Samsung Kies on a pc, and Kies can be downloaded from the Samsungmobile website. Seems straighforward enough until you visit the website, read their disclaimer and then try to find the correct download for the Galaxy GT-P1010. I expect that we will also have a problem installing some favourite apps that don't appear to be available on Samsung's app store. Suppose we should have deferred buying an android until there was a wider choice and from companies that are capable of providing easily accessible online user support.

Thanks again for your reply. This has been my first, and definitely my last, experience of Samsung products.

- Collapse -
How I install an Android "app".

Here I open the Android Market and find the app.

Installing apps via a PC is going to be upsetting as I've yet to encounter one PC that works like the next. This is almost true with the android phones as I can customize almost anything on the screens.

Since no one machine must look like the next, how could a step by step be written? All we can hope for are "guides." That is, if some owner didn't want "Market" on the home screen that carefully written step by step would fail at step 1.

Hope this helps,
Bob

CNET Forums