HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Where's the important info?

by spinner76 / May 12, 2009 2:54 AM PDT

First off i respect Cnet and what they do for us. I think it's great that they have so many reviews on items we are considering to purchase in a time when wallets are tight.

My only grumble is...where's the real information? I recently searched out LCD TV's and there were no options to search for LCD's via refresh rate (60Hz, 120Hz, 240Hz) or even Pixel Response Times (2 - ??ms). How about an "anti-judder" (a term i've read in many of the reviews to relate both the Refresh and Response rate) selection.

THESE are the primary items that help an LCD look good and they should be among the other selections available, such as aspect ratio and Display Format so that Cnet users can narrow down the choices of LCD's they are interested in purchasing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where's the important info?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where's the important info?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It would be nice to sort all the LCD sets by any criteria,
by NM_Bill / May 12, 2009 11:44 AM PDT

but you will have to dig for the information.

Collapse -
Mass marketing
by Pepe7 / May 13, 2009 12:35 AM PDT

The problem is, the vast majority of folks buying LCDs aren't looking for what you're asking for. They simply don't know enough about the technologies involved and what's significant under the hood, especially how it might relate to what they want to watch on their HDTVs. It's a shame, really, that people still only shop mostly by price/size with maybe a little 1080p ;(.

-Pedro

Collapse -
yes this is so true
by gabereyes / May 13, 2009 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Mass marketing

and if people knew what to look for in a TV, they wouldnt buy LCD's as much.

Collapse -
120Hz
by ben_cline / May 15, 2009 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: yes this is so true

Unless you're willing to cough up the money for a Pioneer Kuro, I recommend LCD.

Some of the better websites will have that info, Crutchfield and Vanns have that as an option.

I recommend Sony and Samsung if you're looking for an LCD with 120Hz (Sony V series in their new 5100 lineup, W for their old 4100 lineup; Samsung on Series 6 and up). Toshiba and LG if you wanna be cheap.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.