Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where's "My Documents"

by Sch29 / October 17, 2006 4:21 PM PDT

Strange thing happened today. I went to My Documents (they are all listed)and clicked on one of them, but nothing happened. It will not open up. I wait and wait and finally I get a blank page with a WORD heading. Then I get a box that says it cannot find that document and that I should use Search to find it. I've tried several other documents and none of them will open and I get the same message.
I use Mailwasher, have Norton Anti-Virus, and Ad-Aware SE which should protect me, I thought. I have not added any new programs and never open emails from unknown senders.
Your help would be appreciated in finding out how to access all my 124 documents.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where's "My Documents"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where's "My Documents"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strange thing happened today...
by Papa Echo / October 17, 2006 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Where's "My Documents"

... well, run System Restore to roll back in time to yesterday when it worked. This is the quickest way to get back the use of your computer.

You probably have some file system corruption. You can try running chkdsk /r at ''Start>Run'', or at the command prompt, to check the file system and the surface of the disk if System Restore does not solve the problem.

Collapse -
If Papa's sugestions do not work,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 9:27 PM PDT

your next step is to try an access your My Documents in Safe Mode.

Instructions for entering Safe Mode here.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
Strange thing happened
by Sch29 / October 18, 2006 3:12 AM PDT

This morning I went to My Documents again to see if something magical had happened and my documents decided to return. Lo and below, they were all there where they belong. Thanks for your suggestions.

I've tried to think this problem out and seemed to remember that similiar things have occurred before. They occurred on a previous Tuesday night. Could this and other events happen because MS is sending their updates that night and they take over command my PC and prevent it from working as usual?

Collapse -
"Do not try to adjust your monitor"...
by Aivas / October 18, 2006 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange thing happened

"We control the vertical...
"We control the horizontal...
"We control whether you can use your computer,
"Or whether you can not...
"Welcome to...
"The MS Outer Limits"

Bob K

Collapse -
Good One! To Add Insult to Injury, MS Gave Itself Admin...
by tobeach / October 18, 2006 4:56 PM PDT

rights on your machine (included in EULA of a WMP security patch) this year. X-(.Out of Limits! Grin

Collapse -
I'm glad to see you got them back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 6:47 AM PDT

I don't think any MS updates could have done this. Whilst it's true that some updates will affect some settings in My Documents, I don't know of anything that could allow your folders and files to be listed but deny you access like that, not for a temporary period.

See how you get on, and hope it doesn't happen again.

By the way, now's a good time to review your back-up procedures. If id did happen again and you lost all the files, back-ups suddenly become worth their weight in gold.

Mark

Collapse -
Strange thing happened...
by Papa Echo / October 18, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

Some problems do sort themselves out at reboots. If your problems occur frequently, you may be having a Hard Disk failure. Think about backups.

Collapse -
Strange thing happened
by Sch29 / October 18, 2006 4:00 PM PDT

Thanks Mark and Papa for your help. I have a Maxtor 300 that backs up every day. I think that should be sufficient.

Collapse -
Bsckups to HD...
by Papa Echo / October 18, 2006 7:35 PM PDT

....even if external should be considered as 2nd or 3rd copies, not a backup. HDs fail. I would use Use something more permanent, e.g. CDs; though they are not absolutely 100% perfect, they are at the top of the list (IMHO).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.