by harry_boyne / April 27, 2006 4:08 PM PDT

First of all, this is what I've got:
Trust 100-v2 wireless tablet
Compaq Evo N410
Intel Pentium 3 Processor
Microsoft Windows XP
Compaq Easy Access buttons
Compaq Docking Station
Cable and Wireless 11g ADSL Router (Plugged in via. ethernet and sometimes wireless).
BT Voyager 1060 (Wireless Card)
256MB Ram.

In my only hard drive on my laptop, it only has 413 MB (The hard drive size is 18.6 GB).

It only has one user account, and my documents are not even stored on that laptop.

Here is the space on my hard drive for folders over 2.5 GB:

Documents and settings - Size: 16.1 GB, Size on disk: 8.21 GB.
WINDOWS - Size: 5.69 GB, Size on disk: 5.59 GB.

What can I do?

Thanks (No too risky posts please)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where's all my hard disk space?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where's all my hard disk space?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Done cleanup?
by Coryphaeus / April 27, 2006 10:38 PM PDT

Have you done a disk cleanup? Open Explorer and right click the hard drive, and click Properties. Click Cleanup. After this, in Explorer, click the Windows folder, scroll down to the Temp folder. Delete everything there. Close Explorer and open IE. In Tools, Internet Options, in the Temporary Internet files, click Delete files, this will clear your cache.

Collapse -
More Cleanup Procedures...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 4:54 AM PDT

In addition to Wayne's good suggestion, there are other locations to clean out the junk:

Now clean out the junk files:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

IF you're using Service Pack 2 on Windows XP, use the instructions in this link to tidy up a little more:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

IF the computer is running well, you can also eliminate all of the backup "uninstall" files that reside in the C\Windows folder.. The files will have file names like: "$NTUninstallKBXXXXXXX$". (IF YOU REMOVE THEM YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO UNINSTALL FROM THE "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" SECTION IN THE CONTROL PANEL) But as long as you're computer is running fine, you won't need to use them anyway. It WILL gain quite a bit of space for you.)DO NOT REMOVE the first file named similar to: "$hf_mig$".

After following all the procedures above, please run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.