Cameras forum

General discussion

Where is the best place to repair digital cameras?

by martinmarie / December 15, 2008 5:41 AM PST

I dropped my new Canon PowerShot SX100 IS and now the lens will not retract. The retail value is $250. It seems to be a simple repair to the front of the lens to push it back into place.

Where can I go that can do quality repair work, but not cost too much?

I've seen info that Best Buy and Circuit City do some repairs, and the Canon send-off facility from what I hear charges over $100 to do the repair, which seems to be too much. Any advice??
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where is the best place to repair digital cameras?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where is the best place to repair digital cameras?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Camera Repair
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 10:32 AM PST

If the lens will not retract, it usually means that something is bent or distorted.
The repair usually consists of replacing the lens assembly.

Anyone repairing the camera will have to buy the parts from Canon, so you are not likely to save any money by having someone else do the repair.

Collapse -
Camera repair
by martinmarie / December 15, 2008 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: Camera Repair

Thanks snapshot2 for bringing that to my attention. Good point.

Collapse -
check ebay
by tinman1275 / December 19, 2008 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: Camera repair

I have fixed my own and a few friends cameras fairly cheaply by buying a dead or damaged on from ebay for parts. They are quite easy to take apart, and if you get stuck, one can usually find instructions online for most models.

Collapse -
mavica mvc-cd400
by kittikat21 / December 19, 2008 3:46 PM PST
In reply to: check ebay

i have a sony camera where the lense won't retract. can you help me?sony wants over 200 to fix it.

Collapse -
fujifinepix j10
by whiteoak56 / July 13, 2009 6:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Camera Repair

hi
i just got my fujifinepix from my camera bag and noticed the glass at the back where view images befor taking them is cracked from underneath.
the glass from outside is not cracked but it seems that that there is another interal glass is cracked. it looks exactly as some one pocked it with a sharp object. a point in the middle and the crack lines ray out of it to the outside.
please advise, is it possible to open the camera take the damaged part out and replace with a new one. also , where do i order fuji parts.
kind regards
whiteoak56

Collapse -
Fujifilm J10
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: fujifinepix j10

The only place to get the correct replacement LCD screen is from Fujifilm.

If you open the camera you will find they have stuffed that little camera full with parts. Unless you are an accomplished mechanical watch repair person, you should not even attempt to take it apart.

Just about any digital camera repair charge will exceed $100.

You can find used or refurbished J10 cameras for about $75.

Collapse -
finepix j10
by whiteoak56 / July 14, 2009 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Fujifilm J10

Thank u very much for that , i assumed the same thing.

Collapse -
don't repair it.
by bherrmann / December 19, 2008 10:15 PM PST

old pro say's..the mfg. wants you to buy a new one.It is not worth it to repair.Sorry for the mistake of dropping it.

Collapse -
mavica mvc-cd400
by kittikat21 / December 20, 2008 5:03 PM PST
In reply to: don't repair it.

DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND OUT HOW TO TRY AND REPAIR IT MYSELF? IT WASN'T DROPPED. THE LENSE JUST TRIES TO COME OUT AND OT WON'T. SO THE CAMERA TELLS ME TO TURN IT ON AND OFF AGAIN.

Collapse -
Sony Mavica CD400
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: mavica mvc-cd400

The most likely cause of that problem is the battery.
Batteries do wear out or go bad.
If you send it to a repair shop, the first thing they will do is install a new battery to see if that fixes the problem.

To troubleshoot the problem you need to try a new battery first.

I know, it has a special battery.
I know, a new battery may not fix the problem
But you have to eliminate the battery as a suspect.
If that means buying a new battery ... so be it.
You bite the bullet, buy a battery and hope it fixes the problem.
If it does not, you have wasted money.

No. I don't know of any place that repairs cameras.
Some camera store chains have service centers where they send cameras for repair.
Camera Stores such as Ritz and Wolfe.
You could check with a local camera store.

Collapse -
two great ideas above
by porsche10x / December 21, 2008 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Mavica CD400

Buying a new battery isn't a total waste. As long as you get the camera fixed, you'll have a spare battery, even if it wasn't the problem. Spare batteries are very useful items, especially if you camera takes a proprietary battery.

PS - the post above, about buying a dead camera cheap on Ebay is a great idea!

Collapse -
mavica mvc-cd400
by kittikat21 / December 21, 2008 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Mavica CD400

i dont think that is the problem. because i have had it connected to the charger and it still wont go in. thanks though.

Collapse -
Sorta too late, sorry, but how to lessen..
by MichieS / December 20, 2008 1:01 AM PST

the chance of dropping small items like cameras, cell phones, etc.

I use a product put out by Egrips (www.egrips.com), and probably others.

They are small 'space-age' pads for applying to your vulnerable items. Put several on in spaces located where your fingers hold item. They *really* do cling to your fingers, enabling you to hold such items much more securely.

Yes, they are a bit expensive (about $10.00 for a 2.5" x 5" 'card'). But they are cut into several different size/shapes (or, you can cut up to size needed). I 'fixed up' two digital cameras and two cellphones, and still have some left.

I got mine at CompUSA (long time ago), had seen them at Radio Shack too.

Check Egrips site, they sell too (used to, anyway). Also, they come in several colors available on their website.

Small cost for the great job they do.

[No, I am not affiliated with Egrips.]

Collapse -
Just simple change it.
by vijendrasnv / July 14, 2009 8:57 PM PDT

Hi,
In my view,if the lenses are not retract,then the only solution is just change the lens which is really costly.
So i think repairing the camera is just a waste of money and also you know the repair expense is above $100 so its better to get a fresh piece rather than any thing else.
Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.