Laptops forum

General discussion

where is Sager

by akloner / April 17, 2010 3:03 AM PDT

I have been doing my research and find nothing on the Sager NP8690 on CNET. How can that be? I concluded that it was a fine gaming lap top especially after configuring it with an i7 720, a 500gb hard drive, the new ATI card 5870,, Blueray Reader Writer, 1080 screen,6gb of ram and intel n 6300 wireless. What more could you ask for other than a cnet review.
I priced it out at about $2200 with Window 7 proffessional and a car adaptor at Xotic. Is service and tech support a question?
Looking for advice on buying high end with much potential but not wasting money I don't have in these hard economic times.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where is Sager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where is Sager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2010 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: where is Sager

Look at reviews about that seller and I wouldn't go there.

Why Windows 7 Pro? And to share, my wife got the hp i7 powered 17 inch laptop with nvidia 230m 1GB video for under 900 bucks. Seems pretty nice and what a bargain. Yes I'm planning on a 2 year life span since it has all that in a laptop but what a price.

Collapse -
What reviews are you reading
by akloner / April 18, 2010 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Xotic

I just went back and found myself rereading reviews on Xotic and had a hard time finding any reviews that set off alarms. I also found a lot of positive. Unfortunately no CNET reviews. I found it positive that Xotic sells both Asus and Sager so easy comparing the machines. I wouldn't have much faith in a Costco HP but then I don't plan on buying another PC in two years if I can avoid it. In the past I have been successful with buying state of the art and making it last well over 5 years. Cost benifit is obvious. I actually have a functioning desk top that is single core but because I made sure at the time it was the fastest one out there I have experience little to no draw backs in the dual and quad core world. Must be nice to beable to aford a new computer every 2 years.

As far as Xotic goes my bigest concern would be there Tech support and I have yet to see negitives other than a few customer service bumps on the purchase end. I'll keep looking since I'm in no hurry to replace what I have since I paid a little extra for the dream machine on my last purchase. Oh, it was tech support that was the nightmare on that purchase over 5 years ago from Cyberpower. I would never consider those guys again, but that's a different story.

Why Window 7 pro, because it lets me use everything XP or so they say.

Collapse -
Just one of many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

I leave it to YOU to find these reviews and only warn people once. I want to discuss issues like gamer laptop life spans which many are in full denial about.

About 7 Pro. The office uses 7 Pro and the XP MODE is nice but we have yet to need it. It looks like something we can pass up on future purchases and save some bucks.

Having said that, we went ahead with a HP i7 based laptop, 1GB video ram and it was under 1K bucks. I think you were considering twice that dollar?
Collapse -
Gaming laptop life also
by akloner / April 18, 2010 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one of many.

I also am interested in the discussion of life expectancy of a gaming laptop but maintain my view even after reading a year old example of a customer service exchange with Xotic. My experience with keeping up with gaming requirements has been a life expectancy of as much as 5 years if you buy with the future in mind. An HP for under a thousand is a great bargain but certainly not a state of the art lap top.

Both processor and graphics cards make for good considerations and with going to a laptop it becomes limited to what is offered compared to that that you can find in a tower. That said, the options on these new high end lap tops are impressive although expensive.

My original question still remains unanswered "where are the CNET reviews on Sager". Sager seems to have an impressive line of gaming laptops and I was looking to hear more from 3rd parties on those.

Collapse -
What would be state of the art?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 3:38 AM PDT

Let's see, it has the core i7, 1GB video with the nvidia gt230m and all the rest. Can be found under 1k.

The stories of 2 year gaming laptops are easy to find. I'm only finding those that are new to this area to think these will last 5 years.

-> Let's tackle this head on. Let's see what warranty we are getting on these machines. I'm seeing 1 year. If they are indeed 5 year machines wouldn't you see 3 year warranties?

-> As to why laptops get limited video chips and more the reasons are very simple. Those over hundred watt video cards can't get the heat out in laptop designs.

About the lack of reviews. You may have to find a Cnet reviewer and email them that question.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?