MacBooks forum

Question

Where is my "popup blocker?"

by LolaAngell33 / June 4, 2012 3:07 AM PDT

I need to turn off my "popup blocker" before I can enter a website. I can't seem to find it using Spotlight. And what is the reason for it anyway? I thought it might be used to trap unwanted junk, but I'm trying to get to a site to retrieve my user name or password. Geeze Louise...........

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where is my "popup blocker?"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where is my "popup blocker?"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on the browser
by Jimmy Greystone / June 4, 2012 5:43 AM PDT

Depends on the browser, but if you're using Safari, under one of the menus (I forget which off the top of my head) you'll see a "Disable pop-ups" option or something very similar to that, with a check mark next to it. Select it, and if you check the menu again, the check mark is gone.

HOWEVER, a lot of sites say to disable popup blockers just as a kind of cover your **** sort of thing. By and large it's really not necessary, because after Firefox came up with the idea of only blocking popups not initiated by the user (like by clicking on a link), shortly after everyone else copied the idea. So, I would try the site with the popup blocker enabled, see how things go. If it doesn't work, then you can go and disable it and try again. I say this in large part because IIRC, with Safari the popup blocker is either on or off, there's no whitelisting like you can get with Firefox and Chrome. So you have to remember to turn it back on again every time you turn it off for some site. Now maybe my info is out of date, as I haven't used Safari for more than maybe 10 minutes in a stretch for years. So there may well have been improvements I'm not aware of, and I would expect someone to come along and say as much shortly if that is the case.

If you're using some other browser, you'll have to name names.

Collapse -
Popup blocker won't let me in
by LolaAngell33 / June 5, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on the browser

I guess I'll have to go through all of the menus to find it. Or do without that site. NOT. It's the Quicken site and I need to know how to get the program to stop automatically entering my scheduled transactions. Not a good idea. I want to be reminded of them, but if they're auto entered in my computer I sometimes forget to enter them into my paper ledger. GRRRRRRowl.

Thanka,
Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Popup blocker
by LolaAngell33 / June 6, 2012 1:32 AM PDT

I found it, disabled it and got into the site. Wrote to the Quicken people to ask why I needed to do that. Very simply put my question was, "why do I need to disable my popup blocker in order to enter your site?" Got a reply back that I had not provided enough info..... Don't think I want to get into a debate with them at this time..... I might just lose my cool. And, I thought I was dense. Thanks, Jimmy.

Old Granny Lola

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!