Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Where is Java Preferences on Windows 7?

I have been using a new Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 for almost 24 hrs. It feels as if it is going to be a slow uphill battle getting to make sense out of this OS.

Please help me find Sun Java's Preferences. Looked on Internet Options Advanced and can find nothing there.

My thanks......miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where is Java Preferences on Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where is Java Preferences on Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.

In reply to: Where is Java Preferences on Windows 7?

Oracle notes that it's still in the registry.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/preferences.html

"Applications require preference and configuration data to adapt to the needs of different users and environments. The java.util.prefs package provides a way for applications to store and retrieve user and system preference and configuration data. The data is stored persistently in an implementation-dependent backing store. There are two separate trees of preference nodes, one for user preferences and one for system preferences."http://www.java.com/en/download/help/javaconsole.xml

But I think you are really asking "Where is the Java Control Panel?"
Let's look for that -> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/javaconsole.xml

Bob

Collapse -
You're right! It was Java Control Panel

In reply to: Link, comment.

Thanks so much Bob -- it's where it always was in XP.....sort of...I had gone to Control Panel several times and what came up was the uninstall (Add/Remove) list. This time when I went to Control Panel, it opened with Computer Settings......Miki

Collapse -
Glad you found it.

In reply to: You're right! It was Java Control Panel

I left out that a friend couldn't find the Java Control Panel. After too much research it was something deleted by a registry cleaner.

Glad it was there for you!
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) You just gave me another reason not to use registry cleaner

In reply to: Glad you found it.

Collapse -
Miki, About the Windows 7 Control Panel

In reply to: You just gave me another reason not to use registry cleaner

I'm not sure exactly where you have progressed with Windows 7, but to see more than the basic "Category" icons in Control Panel, look in the upper right corner for the "View by" link. Use the drop down menu to select "Small icons" (instead of "Category") and you will automagically see a lot more icons, including the "Java" control panel icon such as you see in XP.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif..

In reply to: Miki, About the Windows 7 Control Panel

I am not sure where I have progressed in Windows 7 either Happy -- I began working with it late Saturday night. I actually found the Control Panel you describe about 2:00 AM Sunday. With every question I ask and every Google Search, I learn more and do not feel nearly as lost as I did Saturday night.

While I have your attention and because you guided me with the initial Java install on my old XP machine....where is the option on the Java console to uncheck the JRE cache?

I am happy to hear from you....thank you.

Miki
Dell Studio XPS 8100
Windows Home Premium 64-bit

Collapse -
Uncheck Java Cache

In reply to: Hi Grif..

Open the Java Console, then click on the "General" tab, then the "Settings" button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section.. Uncheck "Keep temporary files on my computer". (Or just click on the "Delete Files" button to delete the files currently stored.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif -- Miki iz a dizzy blonde!

In reply to: Uncheck Java Cache

How could I have missed that!!!!

I have IE 8 64-bit and IE 8 32-bit installed on my computer, and each has a different Java Update. The 64-bit has Update 6 ver 21 and 32-bit has Update 6 ver 23. The Java Console version is for 64-bit. I do not yet use the IE 8 64-bit because NIS 2011 Norton Safe-Search is not compatible with 64-bit

Kinda confusing don't you think?

Collapse -
Yep, I'd Stick With The 32 Bit Version As Well

In reply to: Grif -- Miki iz a dizzy blonde!

In my opinion, Internet Explorer doesn't benefit much when using the 64 bit version and there are quite a few issues with it regarding conflicts with add-ons, etc... Windows 7 64 bit comes with both installed but 32 bit is usually the default. I'd just stick with the 32 bit and move on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you, Grif, for your help

In reply to: Yep, I'd Stick With The 32 Bit Version As Well

Collapse -
(NT) End confusion simply, Dump IE altogether!

In reply to: Grif -- Miki iz a dizzy blonde!

Collapse -
(NT) Don't dump anything that has worked well for me for 12 yrs

In reply to: End confusion simply, Dump IE altogether!

Collapse -
(NT) Excuse me, ONE of the few people that can put the words

In reply to: Don't dump anything that has worked well for me for 12 yrs

Collapse -
ugh new laptop, let me continue,

In reply to: Excuse me, ONE of the few people that can put the words

the words "IE and works well in the same sentence"
Have never seen a reason to ask for more infections/viruses,etc, and that doesn't even start to consider the ethical issues, starting way back in the Netscape days.

Collapse -
Uncheck "Keep temporary files on my computer"

In reply to: Uncheck Java Cache

Does anybody know if the same could be done via Group Policy to apply on all computers in a domain?

Collapse -
Maybe but you'll have to decode what it changes.

In reply to: Uncheck "Keep temporary files on my computer"

Long ago I would use FILEMON and REGMON to learn what software toggled in registry and files when it wasn't documented.

However why would we do that when we could clean up on the log in and log out script?
Bob

Collapse -
There Is A Way To Originally Deploy It Correctly

In reply to: Uncheck "Keep temporary files on my computer"

Although I've not found those settings in the registry, it appears like they are saved on the local computer in a file called "deployment.properties", located on this Windows 7 computer at "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment". UNCHECKing the box next to "Keep temporary files on my computer" causes a line to be created and added to the "deployment.properties" file which says: "deployment.cache.enabled=false". You can open the file with a text editor and view the settings changes made.

It appears like it's also possible to to deploy the full Java, with correct settings, to each computer on the domain by deploying Java per the instructions in the link below.. Of course, you might be able to use the "deployment.properties" file in another way, but maybe all this information will help.

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php/topic/7575-sun-java-runtime-environment-6-update-19/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
There Is A Way To Originally Deploy It Correctly

In reply to: There Is A Way To Originally Deploy It Correctly

Thanks a lot! This will do the trick.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.