Internet Service Providers forum

Question

where in the world is salesforce.com

We have a project that requires us to proxy some requests to salesforce.com on behalf of our users trying to access its original salesforce data center while traveling overseas.

The salesforce data center is located at 96.43.150.56, which according to ip2locaton.com is at San Francisco somewhere. However, when we ping that IP from Fremont, the ping RTT is over 80 ms. I need to find a hosting site that is as close to that IP as possible. This 80ms distance will not cut it.

I am not sure how to achieve this. Maybe a dumb way is to recruit you guys' help. If you can be so kind and do the following from where you are, and post the result with your own IP address noted: ping 96.43.150.56 That would be a great help.

I also tried to tracert to that IP address (from Shanghai), which indicates that the route indeed is from Tokyo directly jumped to San Francisco. But I failed to see how come Fremont to San Francisco can take more than 80 ms.

To summarize, I need to find a hosting site which can be as close to saleforce.com's data center at 96.43.150.56.

Help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where in the world is salesforce.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where in the world is salesforce.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's in many places.

In reply to: where in the world is salesforce.com

Collapse -
help

In reply to: It's in many places.

No, no, no, I am not offended, just regret that I didn't explain my question clearly enough. I am well ware of the fact the many locations of salesforce.com. We frequent its status reporting page at: https://trust.salesforce.com/trust/status/. It is quite obvious that they have many data centers throughout the world.

However, all salesforce customers are tied to a certain location, due to the difficulty of distributing their database to multiple locations, I guess. When they travel beyond their origin data center, or their colleagues want to access the same data center from a distant continent, the performance becomes very poor, sometimes unbearable or unable to complete.

We run a remote access service in Shanghai, China. Our customers frequently want us to speed up their salesforce access for them. For those service requests, we have developed an acceleration technique for them. For some customers whose origin data center is in the US, specifically California with the IP address: 96.43.150.56, we need to find a "proxy location" in the States which needs be as close to that location as possible. Only at a nearby location to the origin server our technology makes sense.

At first we thought this should be a piece of cake finding a hosting site close to that IP. We have a hosting site at Fremont. Ping 96.43.150.56 from our Fremont site gives us more than 80ms delay. This is where we are stuck. How could it be possible to get such a delay from Fremont to San Francisco, unless the actual location is somewhere else in Salesforce.com's cloud, distant from Fremont. The following is our traceroute:
traceroute to 96.43.150.56 (96.43.150.56), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 23.92.24.3 (23.92.24.3) 0.580 ms 0.720 ms 0.865 ms
2 10ge8-3.core3.fmt2.he.net (64.71.132.137) 6.063 ms 6.052 ms 6.026 ms
3 10ge10-1.core1.sjc2.he.net (184.105.222.14) 0.794 ms 11.989 ms 11.959 ms
4 edge2-sjl-ge1-0-0.net.sfdc.net (206.223.116.165) 1.070 ms 1.036 ms 1.065 ms
5 edge2-asg-xe-3-2-1.0.net.salesforce.com (204.14.237.104) 68.031 ms edge2-sfm-xe-1-2-1.0.net.salesforce.com (204.14.237.10Cool 2.044 ms edge2-asg-xe-3-2-1.0.net.salesforce.com (204.14.237.104) 68.016 ms
6 edge2-chi-xe-3-0-2.0.net.salesforce.com (204.14.237.46) 81.212 ms 81.200 ms 81.259 ms
7 edge2-was-xe-2-1-0.0.net.salesforce.com (204.14.237.32) 75.369 ms 75.353 ms *

All those 204.14.xx.xx IPs are reported to be in San Francisco, according to www.ip2location.com.

This is why we'd like to have your help. Please just do a ping and a traceroute from where you are, which will help us in finding out where in the world is salesforce.com's San Francisco data center.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Sorry no.

In reply to: help

"we have developed an acceleration technique for them."

This is your business and for such I will defer you to Salesforce and their contacts. Any one working with this area would know to not avoid working with them for very simple reasons.
Bob

Collapse -
Please

In reply to: Sorry no.

Yes, we have developed an technique for speeding up some salesforce access. For that to work, we need a hosting site as close to its data center as possible. Have a server smack inside of salesforce.com data center would be the ultimate solution. However, anyone with any business experience would know that working your way into salesforce.com is probably gonna be a lengthy process, if feasible at all, especially when this involves a foreign server in the midst of all salesforce's critical databases. We have no phobia against working with salesforce.com. We are just trying to find something simple and expedient to get our application up and running and tested. In the meantime we are also exploring ways of working directly with salesforce.com.

The reason I am publishing this question here is that in my opinion how salesforce.com architects its data centers is probably of interest to the general public or all people interested in SaaS technology. I have quite a bit a background in WAN networking but still find its deployment puzzling.

Well, how about a PING and a TRACEROUTE? You have spent 2 posts on this already after all Happy

Collapse -
Answer
please

Please, please. Don't just walk by. Do a ping and traceroute (or tracert on Windows) to 96.43.150.56, and post the following:

1. Your IP
2. Ping results
3. Traceroute results

Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Answer
Answer

I have discovered the answer for my own question, WITHOUT the help from any of you lot. Did not expect to be so difficult in recruiting the help for some simple ping/tracert data from members of this forum. With over 90 viewings of my post, not one offered any help, except a short response asking me to justify it.

It turns out, contrary to the report from some IP location site (like ip2location.com), the IP address for one of salesforce.com's data centers 96.43.150.56 is not located at San Francisco as alleged. It is actually in Ashburn, VA. We have hired a virtual hosting service near Ashburn and gotten about 7ms access time from there, WITHOUT contacting salesforce.com. Question answered and case closed.

Collapse -
Good to read.

In reply to: Answer

Good luck in your endeavors. Closing discussion.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.