Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Where in the Word are My Bookmark Files: Netscape & Firefox?

I had an infortunate incident of trying (sadly) a product that I read was okay to try, but that's besides the point. Anyway, the software was horrid and before I could get rid of it and run spyware which showed me how, it ate icons and wiped out all my documents (sadly I hadn't backed those up for too many months. That won't happene again). But it also ate all my bookmarks in Netscape (which had a ton) and Firefox, which also had all my Explorer ones in there. I rarely use IE because it was hijacked.

Anyway, I used to back up my bookmarks every few days. Now I haven't been able to because I can't find them. I go under both programs and Profiles, etc., and I find Bookmarks.html, but they are not my bookmarks. I'd be ever so greatful if you could tell me how in the world to find them.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where in the Word are My Bookmark Files: Netscape & Firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where in the Word are My Bookmark Files: Netscape & Firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried, No Help

In reply to: Try...

I tried and tried. I cannot find them and nothing is helping me find them. I can't understand why they are hidden so well.

Collapse -
Try...

In reply to: Tried, No Help

A command prompt. Here's mine.

C:\>dir bookmarks.* /s/a/p
Volume in drive C is BPXP
Volume Serial Number is BCD1-C61D

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ovrh5bme.slt

12/14/2004 08:03 AM 3,616 bookmarks.html
1 File(s) 3,616 bytes

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\proffitt\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\dmlhsgug.slt

05/14/2005 08:55 AM 119,504 bookmarks.html

Not hidden at all. Look for yours.

Bob

Collapse -
Tried, Found. But Strange

In reply to: Try...

I tried that as well, but I have odd things going on. I have Netscape bookmarks listed under Firefox. I have different bookmarks being used for Firefox, but zero record of a list! I'm perplexed.

Lori

Collapse -
If you have XP

These are usually not found in Program Files but associated with your login profile. You need to look in Documents and Settings/(your login name)/Application Data/.
The application will be Netscape, Mozilla or such. You can try a search from using Search Assistant by pressing F3 at the desktop and searching the boot drive for "bookmarks.*" (without quotes). I can tell you of one bad Netscape habit. If something has changed it or taken away it's status as your default browser, when you later go to use, reinstall, or upgrade it, it brings up a profile box with some default settings. If you accept these, your old bookmarks may be overwritten by the Netscape defaults and they are gone. When you get this profile box and it does not show your name, you need to close it instead of accepting it. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Found and Then One Missing

In reply to: If you have XP

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I read and read last night and found some command to put in on RUN and found them under Application Data/.., like you said. I copied the Nescape ones to a disc, but it was odd that Firefox wasn't in the list.

I closed it and re-did the search and this time Firefox was in it but Nescape was not on the list! And Firefox had my Netscape bookmarks listed in it. However, Firefox is showing my correct bookmarks an so is Netscape. I have never seen anything so weird.

Any advice? Thanks so far.

Collapse -
When you install a browser

In reply to: Found and Then One Missing

you are often prompted (but maybe not always) to allow it to import bookmarks from other browsers it finds. I suspect this is what may have happened. Netscape, Mozilla, and Firefox have a similar heritage but browsers also compete to be your # 1 choice. Not all they do is explainable. Trying a new browser comes with risks. Always back up what's important and watch the installation screens carefully. There are tricks and traps.

Collapse -
Yeah, But... I have NO bookmark file for Firefox

In reply to: When you install a browser

I got Firfox many months ago and I did import Nescape bookmarks into it. However, Wednesday ALL my browses (after a piece of junk sotware caused it) opened like they were brand new and had no bookmarks in them at all. I had no place to look to back them up, so I had nothing to replace and I just began doing new ones.

I now have bookmarks in Netscape and I have them in Firefox, but they are NOT the same. I have absolutely NO recored of Firefox bookmarks except in the browser itself. How can that be? And when I enter the command to find on Run and it finds the hidden folders, it doesn't even show Netscape anymore.

I'm very perplexed.

Why is Netscape not showing under Application Date? And only Mozilla is, but with the bookmarks that Netscape is using? And where in the word is the bookmark folder for Firefox?

This is just too insane for me. And I'm computer literate.

Lori

Collapse -
A couple of things

In reply to: Yeah, But... I have NO bookmark file for Firefox

My wife uses Netscape but I use Firefox. Under "Application Data" either NS and FF will show under Mozilla and not a folder by their own browser name. To my knowledge, the bookmark files that both use are compatible. You copy one into the appropriate folder of the other and they will work. You might also find a file called "bookmarks.bak". My Firefox has this and it's a backup created when I change the bookmarks.html file. I can delete or move the .html file and rename the .bak file which will restore it as the bookmark file the browser will use. You can look for one that's called bookmarks.bak on your machine and check the file creation date (the last time it was modified) to see if this might be your missing file or contain the majority of the bookmarks you had made. Good luck again.

Collapse -
Finally, I Got It (and More!)

In reply to: A couple of things

Thanks for the info, I finally figured that out earlier today. I have two folders under Mozilla - One that says Firefox and the other says Profiles. The Profiles is for Netscape and then when I got to the Firefox ones, I then have a Profile folder and found my Firefox bookmarks.

Sadly for me, I have no bookmarks.bak (other then for the ones I have. It's like my old ones were blasted off my computer.

I also learned an incredible thing. Saving bookmarks is simple! All I have to do is for Firevox is choose Bookmarks, and then Manage Bookarks and choose Export and then save them. Simple. For Netscape, you Choose the same fist two things, but then you go to TOOL and choose Export. I'll never not have backed-up bookmarks again!

Lori

Collapse -
It sounds like your persistance has paid off

In reply to: Finally, I Got It (and More!)

though your bookmarks need to be recreated. Such is how we learn about computers and applications. For myself, I learn more by banging my head against something until I figure it out than by someone instructing me. You stuck with it and took your bumps and bruises. Good for you.:)

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: It sounds like your persistance has paid off

You did help me too. I never knew about some of the other things, and now I'm thrilled to learn I can just export bookmarks from *both* browsers each night to my small jump drive.

I'm very persistand as well, and I was up until 3am two of the night/mornings trying to figure this out. It was nice to sleep last night.

Thanks for your help.

Lori

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.