Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where have all the IE6 gone?

Long time waiting.

I was having a problem with PeoplePC, which i had just installed, so I contacted their installation support phone line. Without going into gory detail, my stomach wouldn't take it, the tech had me do a large number of settings changes, goiing into Run commands I never heard of and which have now disappeared, I presume because I reset Windows 98 in hopes that might restore IE6; at the time, I wondered why the tech was having me make such extensive changes, seemingly in places I did not think were relevant to the problem. I really can't rememver what all places and changes were involved, though we did fool around with the window that lists TCP etc and make various changes. Anyhow, after we were through, I was supposed to see if PeoplePC was working okay. No, it wasn't. But, worse, much worse, when I did get connected online via another ISP, NetZero, I found that I couldn't go to any websites--I keep getting the Page Not Available screen.

But wait! It gets worse. So I used my daughter's computer, or meant to.
But, alas, it has the same problem. When I try to go to a website on it, I also get the Page Not Available screen.

The PeoplePC people won't acknowledge that they did anything wrong. And maybe it was just coincidence, but I didn't do anything that they didn't instruct me to.

So, perhaps I need to have a guru take over, but first I thought I'd see if someone has any thoughts about my problem.

If you don't catch me here, try the nut house. I think that is where my computer wants to drive me.

grandpaw

P.S. I'm relegated to the computers at Kinko's, so I'll be back here later today to check for replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where have all the IE6 gone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where have all the IE6 gone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I guess I should mention

In reply to: Where have all the IE6 gone?

that both my computer and my daugher's, both on the same phone line, were surfing ok before the above scenario. I have no idea how I could have messed up my daugher's computer by changing settings on mine. Maybe someone has an idea about that. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: I guess I should mention

In reply to: I guess I should mention

did you check that outlet? new phone cord? try different one

Collapse -
Yep, phone connection's good on both computers

In reply to: Re: I guess I should mention

Thanks, Mark, for the suggestion. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Where have all the IE6 gone?

In reply to: Where have all the IE6 gone?

Grandpaw,

It's unlikely indeed that your daughters PC shouldn't work anymore after you messed around with your own. So search for a common factor, which is everything from the telephone line to a problem with your ISP or with the website you want to visit.

One of the pleasant things of having two computers at hand is that it helps doing diagnostics. Say your printer or your mouse doesn't work and you don't know if it's caused by a problem in the printer/mouse or in your PC, then you can easily swap it to the other one and find out.

One of the rules of good systems management: always change one thing at a time, so you can go back easily if it fails. So never mess around on two computers at the same time, or you might find yourself in a situation where none of the two works, and you can't use the one to check the other. If I understand you correctly, you followed this rule. Good.

But it seems you violated the most important rule: ALWAYS be able to go back after a change. Don't change anything if you don't know how to undo it, and keep track of changes.

To go back to your current situation:
If it's a problem on your computer (far from sure as long as your daughters doesn't work either, in my opinion) and depending on what they let you do, you can try to go a few days back with the registry (scanreg /restore), but if it's a change outside the registry that won't help, or course. Then it might be time to reformat and reinstall Windows (as you planned already). The best thing to do after that: NOTHING. Just keep your hands off a machine when it works. Stick to your ISP, stick to your applications, stick to everything and don't download anything you don't trust for 110%. Which include anti-virus updates and security patches for IE (if you prefer IE above alternatives), but not much more.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Problem canceled via ATT

In reply to: Re: Where have all the IE6 gone?

Well, this morning I decided to try ATT, fully expecting it to not work either. But, lo and behold, it works fine. ATT had me highlight a COM port other than the one which has my modem. I don't understand that but that, but then I've about given up on understanding anything computer related. I'm just thankful for ATT.

Hopefully, Kees, when I get changed over to XP I will have been sufficiently imbued with the dangers of fooling around with computers that I will follow your advice. It took me years and years to finally learn not to fool around with women, and I'm still learning.

The rest of this is just therapeutic.

I'm canceling PeoplePC and NetZero. NetZero had a button to click for cancelation. PeoplePC doesn't but I emailed them to cancel. They wrote back, thanking me for writing and saying they would have someone contact me. They later responded asking me to use different access numbers. They apparently have deleted the word "cancel" from their dictionary.

Thanks again, Kees, for you wonderful willingness to help. grandpaw

Collapse -
Keeping track of changes

In reply to: Problem canceled via ATT

Kees, it sure makes obvious sense to do this. But for a guy like me, when I've got a so-called support tech on the line and he call for various changes, it's difficult to keep a record. Especially for a guy whose memory would have to improve for him to get Alzheimers, and whose handwriting makes great chicken scratching. (While I've recorded conversations at times, when I'm using my cell phone so that I can also be online I can't do that.) But hopefully I'll do a better job of this in the future when occasion arises to make changes. It likely would have save me a good deal of stress, strain and time if I had done better on this this go-round. Thanks for the reminder. grandpaw

Collapse -
People PC

In reply to: Keeping track of changes

My sister in Cleveland also had PeoplePC and for the first couple of months, all was well....all of a sudden out of the blue, she couldn't connect either. They also had her changing things in her registry and changes made at the run command, and she immediately lost her modem with a reboot. Sound familiar?

Turns out that PeoplePC had been removing access numbers like crazy at their end and replacing them with others, and never bothered to tell people anything about it. By the time they were done with my sister, she had over twenty-five numbers to try every time she tried to connect.

It took me four hours on the phone with her to wipe out everything in the registry to do with PeoplePC and convince her to go back to the original ISP she had a year ago with no problems ever. She had been trying to save a lousy $5 per month and I told her it just wasn't worth the aggravation when she's spending a fortune on long distance calls to me to keep fixing the mess PeoplePC kept creating for her.

Her old ISP hooked her up within five minutes by flipping a switch at their end (I still had all of her dial up information written down here from before and walked through entering it into a new dial up connection including the username and password she had used before). She's been up and running the net ever since without even a hiccup.

I try to steer users away from PeoplePC and NetZero every chance I get. It's just not worth the crap and troubleshooting.

TONI

Collapse -
I wish I had a sister like you

In reply to: People PC

Your sister and I are twins in our experience with PeoplePC. Your experience reminds me of why, as I was canceling PeoplePC, they emailed me to use different connection numbers.

My experience with NetZero was no better. Being a little childish, I spent some time emailing NetZero about their incompetence and receiveing their reply that they were doing a fine job. I may have used stronger terms than that at times. It was a good way to relieve my frustration.

I have ATT now and it seems to work fine. It connects me in a little over twenty seconds. I woould like to find a reliable and stable ISP that just did the business of, and just charged for, connecting, without any bells and whistles, which I don't use, but to make money these days an outfit has to have a lot of bells and whistles.

grandpaw

Collapse -
That would make you about Toni's age. Who wouldn't want so?

In reply to: I wish I had a sister like you

Collapse -
Re: People PC

In reply to: People PC

I also have a friend who uses PeoplePC. And yet, with all the problems she has had with their terrible service and mostly ignorant tech service, I still can't convice her to leave them ... as someone else stated, she's saving a lousy $5 a month. So, I finally stopped helping her for as long as she is with PeoplePC.

If you look around a bit, you'll find that NetZero also supplies (or did) the services (?) for Kmart, WalMart, etc internet ... should you elect to get an internet connection "on the cheap" that way.

Don't Do It!

Collapse -
Good advice, CharleyO

In reply to: Re: People PC

Your friend must consider her own time as totally unimportant. If my time is worth only five bucks an hour, I'm better off staying away from those time guzzling ISPs like PeoplePC. Now, that I've shed it, I'm back with my family. grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.