Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Where Have All The Geese Gone?

Feb 22, 2004 5:54AM PST

I'm going to send up a dozen or so to these Folks. Our ballfield here in town is getting all crapped up by these Buzzards.

http://www.eagletribune.com/framesets/searcharch.htm
To get to the Geese Problem. Only links this way I guess.
Scroll down to calendar at bottom of page.
February 2004. Click on Sat. 21 date....3rd story down.
Silly
George

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Re:Where Have All The Geese Gone?
Feb 22, 2004 6:33AM PST

Hi. George,

Canadian geese used to stop for a rest on a reservoir in my neighborhood. About 4 years ago one was seen floating. It had been shot. They haven't been back.

Geese are now rarely seen.

I live on the river, and the water bird population is less than before. Last year a blue heron started hanging around a couple of blocks away, and raiding a goldfish pond. The homeowner covered the pond with chicken wire, and that did the trick. The heron was back this year, and the chicken wire again was placed.

Makes me wonder if something is wrong with the fish in the river. The waters are not as polluted as they have been. I haven't seen any water birds going after fish this year.

There has been construction of a new bridge a few blocks downriver, so maybe the noise has sent them to a quieter area.

Or, they have all settled in your area. Happy

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
Sounds like a good shotgun can work wonders.
Feb 22, 2004 6:51AM PST

Folks around here would be glad to send the geese your way if they could, but they won't use a shotgun. Oh well, It's their towns, not mine.

- Collapse -
Goose Hunting Hazards
Feb 22, 2004 7:10AM PST

Baxter Black had something to say about hunting geese
Click on the audio link Morning Edition audio

- Collapse -
Therein is the tale of another mystery! Global warming.
Feb 22, 2004 7:38AM PST

methane

- Collapse -
I once read that the surest sign of animal life on a planet was methane
Feb 22, 2004 7:46AM PST

since 90% of the methane in the Earth's atmosphere was cow farts.Wink

Chuckling, ok, so it was scifi, Fedrick Pohl, Gateway.

- Collapse -
I think there really was an EPA study on that subject.
Feb 22, 2004 10:31AM PST

Your government at work. Happy

- Collapse -
Re:I think there really was an EPA study on that subject.
Feb 22, 2004 10:35AM PST

I bet they took the money for the study out of SS

George

- Collapse -
Re More about this link Bill
Feb 22, 2004 9:48AM PST

Thanks for the link Bill. For the past few hours I have been really enjoying this fellow "Baxter Black"

Just for heck of it I typed "Geese" in the search bar on Your Link and came up with a few more interesting inputs on Canadian geese.

George

- Collapse -
I love to send everyone off my company work site
Feb 22, 2004 6:45AM PST

These stay here year round I believe, they've forgotten to migrate. Pooping machines, aren't afraid of cars, march across the road in a line and squawk at anyone that comes up.

Too bad that a past manager made it such a santuary, I'd like to see them all ran away. They've made me hate the sight of them anywhere. Seeing geese makes me want to buy a gun and a truckload of ammo.

roger

- Collapse -
Maybe someone on the crew knows how to cook'em. (NT)
Feb 22, 2004 6:53AM PST

- Collapse -
Everytime I see them I imagine one of them roasting in my oven.
Feb 22, 2004 2:33PM PST
Happy
- Collapse -
Big lawns and retention basins?
Feb 23, 2004 12:32AM PST

If that's the case suggest that the property managers plant trees and bushes instead of lawn. The geese will hate it.

Dan

- Collapse -
Re:Big lawns and retention basins?
Feb 23, 2004 5:00AM PST

Large water treatment ponds too, paper mill.

And a past practice of protecting them on site, stupid idea, now they don't even know what north/south is.

And the company use to pay someone to shoot pigions when they got too bad, now they live trap them and release elsewhere,, yeah, right, they'll never come back to somewhere that feeds them corn to walk into a cage, then get let go.

- Collapse -
That's a very good suggestion!
Feb 23, 2004 5:28AM PST

- Collapse -
Re:That's a very good suggestion!
Feb 23, 2004 5:38AM PST

Hi James

Well, Maybe it will cut down on food stamps. At least when I become one of the poor next fall, there will be food on the table.

If you have Real Player. " click on all things considered Audio" at the top for the whole story.

George

- Collapse -
Re:Thanks for all the offers Folks
Feb 22, 2004 7:35AM PST

Please Do Not send me your geese up here. They muliply like mad. No good to eat either, too tough, too greasy, and taste horrible. I'll take that cowboy that Bill mentioned. Maybe he can sing them to death.

Hope something gets rid of them. Call in the 82nd for an Airstrike I guess.

George

- Collapse -
Sounds like you just need the right cook!
Feb 22, 2004 7:41AM PST

I've heard that the boys on the north side of Chicago do a fabulous job with geese! Really!

- Collapse -
Re:Sounds like you just need the right cook!
Feb 22, 2004 8:18AM PST

I think you are pulling my tail feathers, but I'll bite. Would it be the "Saint Valentines Day Massacre"?

Did'nt Al Capone run all the Speakeasies out there at that time?

George

- Collapse -
Yes, he did, but he was 'out of town' when the massacre went down.
Feb 22, 2004 10:33AM PST

Naturally.

- Collapse -
Re: Say KP.. Kansas City Zoo has a way for cooking up the Geese
Feb 23, 2004 5:16AM PST
- Collapse -
Re:Re: {NT}Thanks again BILL for the link. I've Been reseaching it
Feb 23, 2004 5:27AM PST

- Collapse -
I get that from ducks
Feb 22, 2004 2:37PM PST

...even domesticated duck, worse for wild duck. For some reason they are too greasy for me to eat, or something in their meat makes me get a queasy feeling. If it's not one that's too gamey I love to eat it, but later I feel ill, so I gave up on duck.