HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Where has all my CPU gone?!

by Ishkuk / January 24, 2008 12:51 AM PST

I have an AMD Athlon64 6000+ (3GHz) X2 with 4GB RAM, and 8600GT etc. with Vista Home Premium. When running NOTHING WHATSOEVER except for start-up programs (PCTools ThreatFire, avast! antivirus, Google Talk, Skype, Windows Sidebar, Atomic clock sync, ObjectDock) and on a fresh boot with no-one else logged on, my computer is using *at least* 55% of the CPU power.

I've checked in Task Manager (in admin mode) and System Idle Process is using most of the CPU power. This would be all OK, as you would expect Sys Idle Process to surrender that power when a program asked for it, but it seems not.

When I have WMP11 open (and I'll usually have Firefox open too), the CPU randomly peaks, causing the music to jump. I check in Task Manager - Sys Idle Process is still top, but the Microsoft music decoder (I can't remember the exe name) is on about 10% CPU - not explaining the 45% hike!

I am temporarily using RealPlayer, but I do prefer the interface and OS integration of WMP, and it has all my playlists! I have tried suspending ThreatFire and closing Object Dock with no result.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Isaac

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where has all my CPU gone?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where has all my CPU gone?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I did...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 12:55 AM PST

Turned off Aero, turfed the sidebar and UAC. Much better.

Collapse -
It worked before though!
by Ishkuk / January 24, 2008 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: What I did...

I've had this for a few months now, and it's only just started doing this, and I've had Aero all the time. I could cope without the Sidebar, but UAC is a neat security feature that I could do with and Aero is why I got Vista instead of XP!

I'll try it anyway though.

Isaac

Collapse -
Nope
by Ishkuk / January 24, 2008 2:01 AM PST

It might have reduced the problem slightly - 50% CPU instead of 55% - still a big problem though!

Thanks anyway,

Isaac

Collapse -
Use task manager to find what it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Nope

Also, put the desktop background to a solid color to avoid "an issue."

Collapse -
Nope
by Ishkuk / January 25, 2008 12:47 AM PST

As I say in my original message, I have tried to use Task Manager to find out what it is (Show processes from all users is ticked!) and it simply shows that System Idle process is using 80-90% of the CPU!

I have changed the background colour to black, but no avail.

Thanks again,

Isaac

Collapse -
"System Idle process is using 80-90% of the CPU!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Nope

System Idle should use that much when the machine is idle. Let's hope you are not asking to reduce this.

-> Gloves off!!! I won't rewrite this. System Idle is where all "spare" cpu cycles go. It's proper and let's not waste time discussing this?

Gloves on...

Hope this helps you understand it.

Bob

Collapse -
I know
by Ishkuk / January 25, 2008 12:58 AM PST

The trouble is, it doesn't seem to drop when a real program wants to do something, so it uses around 50% of the CPU power even when some other program really needs that power!

I don't mind System Idle Process using every last Hz of my processing power so long as it stops using it when I'm starting Photoshop!

Isaac

Collapse -
AHA!!! Now I see more clearly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: I know

You have one of the nice DUAL CORE CPUs. Most software will only task or suck the life out of one of the COREs.

-> Here I have a nice Core 2 Duo and the only time I max it out is during video rendering to DVD. The rest of the time I enjoy the nice smooth operation since the "spare" CPU can handle the other chores.

Bob

Collapse -
What's changed then?
by Ishkuk / January 25, 2008 1:09 AM PST

Trouble is, I've had this PC for several months now, and it's only in the last week or so that it's started doing this...

I'm going to try using the System Restore utility to go back to before installing TweakVI which I think *may* have *slowed down* as opposed to *speed up* my PC as it was meant to Grin

I'll keep you posted on if it works...

Collapse -
That's a new clue. ....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: What's changed then?

There are some gamers that CLAIM that setting the affinity or disabling the dual core back to single improves some game play. I won't debate this but we do need to keep track of what we tweak in case we let too much air out of the tires.

Bob

Collapse -
TweakVI is not to blame
by Ishkuk / January 25, 2008 2:52 AM PST

I've System Restore-d back to before the TweakVI install to no change. However, this has de-indexed (or maybe added some files?), so not really an accurate test - yet! On the other hand, this indexing doesn't seem to take up more than a few % CPU, so overall there is not much difference.

By the way, I am now using Resource Monitor to monitor the performance. It seems much better, but is it just a bit of eye candy (the kind of thing that I fall for - aaah! Aero).

Thank

Isaac

Collapse -
What the hell?!
by Ishkuk / January 30, 2008 6:17 AM PST

Thanks for all the help guys, but it seems to have fixed itself! Touch wood!

Isaac

Collapse -
Try this.
by dhrwfan / January 30, 2008 6:23 AM PST

Take out 1 GB of ram and see what happens...

I'll bet anything it runs as fast as lightning on 3 GB's of ram..

Let me know...

Good luck.

Collapse -
OK, but...
by Ishkuk / January 30, 2008 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

I'll try it when it's out of warranty

Thanks anyway

Isaac

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.