General discussion

Where does a 100 mph bald eagle stoop to?

May 28, 2019 1:39PM PDT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Where does a 100 mph bald eagle stoop to?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Where does a 100 mph bald eagle stoop to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sometimes it has to swim too.
May 28, 2019 1:42PM PDT
- Collapse -
I was surprised to see the wingtips touching.
May 28, 2019 1:51PM PDT

Can't be accidental, they're too good at flying. That must have been 'extreme approach' mode. Succeeded. The human moved. Happy
I thought the bird folks here would appreciate it.

- Collapse -
Had a glitch, just now got your vid opened.
May 28, 2019 1:53PM PDT

Excellent! I know they catch fish near the surface, but didn't know they go in.

- Collapse -
They don't go in intentionally
May 29, 2019 1:22PM PDT

That would be osprey but eagles often steal from them. Osprey can take off from water but bald eagles aren't good at it. I've watched osprey dive into the ocean or large ponds. It's quite a site. I believe their success rate per dive isn't that great. Eagles will also hang out near fishermen and try to swipe their catch. Many get tangled in fishing line and some don't survive the attempted heist. There are videos of eagle rescues after this happens. Of course the kings of the stoop are the peregrines which can stun or kill their prey in the process but, since fish don't normally fly, peregrines go after birds. Nature can get ugly but we mustn't intervene.

- Collapse -
Ospreys.
May 29, 2019 1:34PM PDT

3 eggs this year at Dyfi Osprey Project Steven.
Dafydd.

- Collapse -
(NT) I remembered there were osprey guys here.
May 29, 2019 1:40PM PDT
- Collapse -
I did see that
May 29, 2019 2:52PM PDT

Your time zone difference allows very early morning viewing. I had followed the osprey at Hellsgate in Montana on the Cornell site here for years but the past few haven't worked out. Iris lost her mate and her new mate has turned out to be unfaithful this year. There's a Savanna Ga. site with a successful osprey nest. The Cornell site is great one and has helped me learn a lot about the importance of keeping these critters around.

- Collapse -
There was a viral vid of an eagle grabbing
May 29, 2019 1:42PM PDT

fish from anglers. Had his perch, his victims, his plan. Never missed. Happy

- Collapse -
And, a "peregrination" is a long trip.
May 29, 2019 1:48PM PDT

Speed:
"Jehovah turned his attention to certain other birds. (Job 39:26-30) Falcons ‘soar up and spread their wings to the wind.’ Citing the peregrine falcon as the fastest-flying bird, The Guinness Book of Records says that it “reaches record speed levels when swooping from great heights during territorial displays, or when catching prey in midair.” This bird has reached a speed of 217 miles per hour [349 km/hr] at a 45-degree angle of descent!"
From "Animal Creation Magnifies Jehovah"
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20060115/Animal-Creation-Magnifies-Jehovah/?stage=Stage#?insight[search_id]=b44e5ffa-1947-436c-8d90-66831874993f&insight[search_result_index]=1

- Collapse -
Only a very slight quibble
May 30, 2019 4:40AM PDT

It's more a taxonomy thing as species names for the same bird types differ from continent to continent. Actually, falcons aren't considered to be soaring birds like hawks, eagles, etc. They are dense and compact with shorter wings. The difference between these and soaring species wouldn't be unlike the difference between sprinters and long distance runners in the world of human athletes. What we call "hawks" are usually called "buzzards" in Europe. Our buzzards in the US are actually vultures.

I've noted the Cornell site which is my "go-to" for information on raptors and other feathered creatures. There's plenty to learn there for those with an interest or would like to impress or bore their friends. They'll gladly take your money as well.

- Collapse -
I see your point. Dealing with ancient word
May 30, 2019 9:07AM PDT

usages is always a problem, especially for things that were in common use. ("The Eskimo have a gazillion words for ice ...")
Someone's objection to choosing the eagle as the US symbol was 'that it's just a buzzard'. Happy

- Collapse -
Acually, the word "falconry" covers all
May 30, 2019 1:43PM PDT

birds of prey in regards to training the various species for show or hunting purposes. If you train hawks, you're a falconer. If you train falcons, you're still a falconer. Apparently, falconry is thousands of years old and one of the "royal" sports in some places. If you wanted a duck dinner, your trusty peregrine would down it for you. You did need to allow it to have the first bites but didn't need to deal with that nasty lead buckshot.

- Collapse -
Agreed on falconry.
May 30, 2019 4:45PM PDT

That's why language is uncertain at times when we want certainty.

Has lots of interesting, specialized vocabulary, lost to most of us.
Except moi- got three general dictionaries and a Britannica, all on paper. And the 'net.
But not Wikipedia. Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info