Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

where do you get your music from ?

by Nitram_80 / December 13, 2006 3:38 AM PST

now that I just got an mp3 player , I have to think about where to get the music from. Now I dont spend alot of time or am I great with computers so help me out. What services are out there at a good price. Is there any sites where it's free? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where do you get your music from ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where do you get your music from ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good job
by wliang / December 13, 2006 6:52 AM PST

If you're not so great with computers, why get an mp3 player?? A big part of having and mp3 player is having a computer to sync the player. First off, what type of mp3 player did you get? What types of files does it play?? Do you know that info? Limewire is a good choice for downloading but you have to to careful when downloading as some files are corrupt and can damgage your player and computer. when downloading, make sure the song has a good rating and make sure you have virus protection and spyware protection. On second thought, I think I'm being too descriptive. Use the FAQ's in you manual and on the downloading program. Good Luck, you're gonna need it

Collapse -
Not a good idea...
by John.Wilkinson / December 13, 2006 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: Good job

Over 90% of the music available on Limewire and other P2P networks is pirated, and thus illegal. Considering the recent government and RIAA crackdowns on piracy, and the fines associated with such, there is yet another reason to avoid P2P networks, in addition to the security risks.

My suggestion: look into music subscriptions from napster, Rhapsody, and Yahoo! Music. You pay a base monthly fee and can download as much as you want. When you stop paying for the subscription, though, the music will cease to play within 30 days. This, of course, assumes that you did not purchase an iPod, which is incompatible with the WMA DRM format.

John

Collapse -
Don't use Limewire
by ktreb / December 13, 2006 8:21 AM PST

If you're going to try to get music for free, don't use Limewire or any peer to peer file sharing service. More than likely the music is pirated - you will be downloading an illegal copy, opening yourself up to a possible lawsuit.

You might be able to find some free downloads from Amazon.com and maybe even Download.com (a CNET site - click on the "downloads" tab and then "music" - some of it is streaming, some of it is available to download)

I buy almost all of my music. I have a large cd collection that I have put on my computer. I supplement this with tracks purchased from iTunes - I have an iPod. Every week, iTunes offers a couple of songs for free. Usually, they're from lesser known artists.

Since I don't know what kind of mp3 player you have, it's hard to help you. If you have a Plays For Sure device and it supports subscription services (such as Napster), you can pay a monthly fee and download all the songs you want. You won't own them, you won't be able to burn them to an audio cd, and if you stop paying you will no longer be able to play them. But it is relatively cheap if you don't have an extensive collection.

There are a couple of other subscription alternatives that will work with any player that plays mp3s - eMusic and Audio Lunchbox. You pay a monthly fee for a set number of downloads. Depending on your subscription level, songs cost as little as 33 cents each or even less (this is an eMusic claim). Audio Lunchbox works similarly. With both eMusic and Audio Lunchbox you get mp3s, you can burn them to cd, and you own these songs. They do come with a free trial.However, you won't be able to download all that you want and they tend to skew toward independent artists.

You don't need to be a computer expert to use an mp3 player, just a little motivated and be willing to spend a little bit of time on this. Whether you spend a little bit of time or a lot depends on how much music you want. It would help if we knew what kind of player you have and whether or not you already have some music - if it's on cd or your computer.

Collapse -
iPod or Zen V?
by ktreb / December 13, 2006 9:41 AM PST

I just realized you had another thread about which player to get. If you're keeping the Nano, then you need to use iTunes to transfer music to your player. iTunes/Nano doesn't support subscription services where you "rent" your songs or any other download service that sells protected wma files. eMusic and Audio Lunchbox will work with any player since you are getting unprotected mp3s. The Zen V does support subscriptions and can play protected wmas.

Collapse -
you can choose one converter
by May13 / December 13, 2006 10:19 PM PST

you can choose one converter.If you have one,you can use any format music for your player.The converter can change mp3,avi,mpg,3pg and others. http://www.sharewareguide.net you can choose one you like

Collapse -
thanks to all
by Nitram_80 / December 14, 2006 4:54 AM PST

I just got the Ipod Nano for Xmas but I wanted the Zen V because it sounds less complicated. How much does Itunes cost? Someone mentioned to me that you can take files from Limewire and convert them to Itunes but you guys are saying thats too risky. I am not totally dumb with computers, I am not as savy as most of you thoug . thanks again

Collapse -
iTunes
by ktreb / December 14, 2006 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: thanks to all

The software itself is free. In fact, you don't even need to have an iPod. You can download it from the Apple website. Actually, if you keep the Nano that's what you're going to have to do since Apple no longer includes the cd with the program. It keeps the packaging small.

If you want to purchase songs, those cost 99 cents per song. Whole albums range from $7.49 on up, usually in the 9.99 - 11.99 range. You can also get a couple of free songs per week, but they're usually from unknowns and you'll have to have an account set up so you'll need to provide a credit card number.

You don't need to convert anything to iTunes. As long as your songs are in mp3 format you can play it in iTunes or any other music software and you can play it on any device.

I also want to clarify why downloading via Limewire is so risky. As John said, most of the songs offered are almost always pirated, thus illegal. And the RIAA (The Recording Industry Association of America) is litigation happy. They will try to sue anyone they can find who is distributing or getting music illegally. They start off suing for damanges in excess of $10,000 per song. Lots of $$$$$$!!!! The RIAA, with their big bad lawyers, have endless amounts of money. The poor schmuck they're suing doesn't. So rather than fight the endless fight, they end up settling for thousands. Also, you never know who you're getting these files from and you might end up with something nasty. And you'll have to reciprocate. If you take something, you'll have to give something.

And FYI, I'm no computer expert. I consider myself a novice. If I can figure out this music stuff anyone can.

Collapse -
what about other services?
by Nitram_80 / December 15, 2006 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes

ok so I get the whole limewire thing but 99 cent for a song , I think its not so cheap at least for the poor that is. Can I use any other service like Yahoo or Rhapsody on my Ipod Nano? you guys been very helpful. thanks

Collapse -
Nope...
by John.Wilkinson / December 15, 2006 10:18 AM PST

The iPod is only compatible with songs downloaded through iTunes and regular MP3s. Almost every song offered through Yahoo! Music, Rhapsody, Napster, Walmart Music, etc. is in WMA DRM format, which is not compatible with the iPod. Yahoo! and a few others are experimenting with DRM-free songs, which could be converted and transfered to the iPod, but that is just a handful of titles. Those that offer DRM-free music are either pirated as well or, in the case of eMusic.com, limited in selection, mostly to Indian artists and little-known groups.

In short, if you have an ipod you are mostly limited to the iTunes music store and ripping songs from CD.

John

Collapse -
Have you tried ripping your CDs in iTunes?
by daveworld / December 16, 2006 5:20 AM PST

Would be a good place to start filling your iPod. Like others said, you will need iTunes installed. There are other software you could use if you don't like iTunes, but for a newbie I strongly recommend iTunes. It works well with the iPod, and you can buy songs and albums from the "iTunes Store".

Collapse -
I dont have a big cd library
by Nitram_80 / December 18, 2006 2:56 AM PST

so because I dont have alot of music in my library , I want to be able to download a good amount of music. If I trade in my Ipod for an mp3 player , what services are cheaper then Itunes ? I have heard that some of these services you dont actually buy the songs but rent them only? What's a good service for none Ipod players ? Thanks

Collapse -
Subscription Services
by ktreb / December 18, 2006 8:34 AM PST

Here's a link to the "Plays For Sure" website.
Find the player you want, then find the service. None of these work with Apple iPod/iTunes, so you'll want to exchange your player. You wanted the Zen V (or Zen V plus), right? Both will work with "Plays for Sure".

http://www.playsforsure.com/default.aspx?id=17

Collapse -
Use emusic
by scottwb555 / December 19, 2006 5:32 AM PST

Although it doesn't have the biggest labels, emusic is a great choice for anyone, as long as they browse through the catalog. get a free trial, they are everywhere, and if you find music you like, go for a subscription plan. It's the cheapest LEGAL site out there, and it is compatible with all mp3 players, because they sell unDRM'ed MP3's. You are not bound to any contract, but if you don't like the music, make SURE you cancel, or they will keep charging you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.