HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Where do I find Java Runtime

by 45-09843560-98245w-0wefpo / November 23, 2010 3:11 AM PST

I am trying to use Open office, it keeps asking for JRE.
Where do I find this(JRE) to show open office where it's located.
I installed the 10.6 java update #3 today.
Mac o/s 10.6.4 on MAC Pro with dual intel chips(2007 early version)

Thanks for any help Steve in SE Pennsylvania

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where do I find Java Runtime
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where do I find Java Runtime
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Java Runtime
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 8:49 AM PST

is not actually somewhere that you can point to.

If you have it installed, like you say you do, then Open Office should find it automatically.

If you have run all the current updates, JRE is installed.

P

Collapse -
I hesitate to ask, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 8:52 AM PST

are you sure you downloaded the correct version of Open Office?

I note that there is a version for Windows and one for Mac

P

Collapse -
REI hesitate to ask, but
by 45-09843560-98245w-0wefpo / November 23, 2010 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: I hesitate to ask, but

Mac O/S 10.6.4 with latest security update - still waiting on 10.6.5 to settle
10.6 Java V#3 update
Open Office for ""MAC"" V3.2.1 5/20/2010
NO JRE on machine only 1.6.0 vdk in system Library

Still asks for JRE and dies when attempting to register or to look for updates!!

I have nine fingers, so I know I make mistakes!!

Collapse -
Something of a pet peeve
by Jimmy Greystone / November 23, 2010 10:05 PM PST

Something of a pet peeve I suppose you could say, are people who say they're waiting for some update or another to settle or bugs to be worked out, etc.

The update that is released on day 1 is the same update that will be available a year from now. There is no "settling" or working out of bugs, or whatever else.

Yes, sometimes there are odd interactions that were not expected, like the issue with 10.6.5 and PGP disk encryption, which is the fault of the PGP developers for not testing their product with pre-release builds of 10.6.5 that Apple releases to developers. Outside of that, there is no reason to wait more than 1-2 days, unless you are using an afflicted program, and are waiting on an update.

To not do so is to put your system at unnecessary risk of compromise. Just because you're using a Mac doesn't give you license to do something stupid with impunity. The consequences may not be as immediate on a Mac as Windows, but there ARE consequences. Using a Mac does not grant you some kind of special immunity.

Collapse -
I had a similar (?) problem
by froggy56 / November 23, 2010 5:33 PM PST

I downloaded what, I still believe) was the Mac OS X version of Open Office. It runs fine, but when I try to register, it tells me that JRE isn't installed.

I've just given up trying to register!

Collapse -
RE: I had similar problem
by 45-09843560-98245w-0wefpo / November 23, 2010 9:24 PM PST

Mine dies on registration and updates after giving NO JRE error message.
Thanks

Collapse -
This is a Bug
by rbircher / December 4, 2010 2:36 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.