Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Where do I begin to figure out what Camcorder to buy?

I had a Sony for the last 7 years and we lost it. I used High 8 tape-so now what should i look for in a camcorder. I want to be able to EASILY burn them to a CD or DVD...

Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where do I begin to figure out what Camcorder to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where do I begin to figure out what Camcorder to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where do I begin to figure out what Camcorder

In reply to: Where do I begin to figure out what Camcorder to buy?

Do you have a lot of hi8mm tapes that you want to still want to play??
If so good news, you can get a Sony D8mm camera this will play your hi8 tapes and all new recorings will be digital. Since it has a firewire port you can import ALL you videos in to your PC and edit them and burn them to a DVD. The best one is this DCR-TRV480.

Now for the bad news.
Digital 8mm is on the WAY OUT. MiniDV is IN!! DON'T bother with DVD cameras!! Hard drive cameras are starting to appear.
If I were in your position I would get an inexpensive hi8mm ($200) and a good miniDV($450 &up) that has the analog to digitial pass throught feature. Here are some links. John
http://reviews.cnet.com/Camcorders/2001-6500_7-0.html?tag=dir.camc
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Collapse -
Sony DVD handycams

In reply to: Where do I begin to figure out what Camcorder

We have just bought a sony DCR-DVD703E which records to DVD-R and DVD-RW discs. This works well and I'm not so sure that this format is destined for the scrapheap yet. The -RW double sided 8cm disc holds 60mins of recording time and is easily compatible with our Dell PC. So far I'm pleased with the camera although it is early days.
The 8cm DVD recording format appears superior to MiniDV tapes due to the ease of transfer to PC which I'm sure most camcorder users will use to edit/download and finally burn to DVD for archival purposes.
As to the hard drive format that is appearing, I cannot comment, other than to observe that transfer to a PC will still entail a pipeline albeit it firewire or usb 2.0. The 8cm DVD format seems convenient and quick in enabling transfer and indeed instant playing in DVD player to TV display. Sony is obviously promoting this format with TV advertising and I would be suprised if they had got their strategy wrong! At this point I would just offer the opinion that the DVD format is worthy of consideration and to my mind may well be the shape of camcorders to come.

Collapse -
Before you dive into DVD cams

In reply to: Sony DVD handycams

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!