The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Where did you buy your latest digital camera?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 22, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Where did you buy your latest digital camera?

-- Classified ad (How did it work out?)
-- Family/friend
-- Local camera store
-- Local electronics store
-- Online store (How did it work out?)
-- Online auction (How did it work out?)
-- Phone order (How did it work out?)
-- Swap meet/garage sale (How did it work out?)
-- TV shopping channel (How did it work out?)
-- Other (Where?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where did you buy your latest digital camera?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where did you buy your latest digital camera?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I didn't - I found it on the street. It's a nice Sony, too
by ChuckT / March 23, 2007 6:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
online store

I could use the small cameras, Nikon 4300 and Canon A80,but I used them a lot and they eventually broke.
I can not use a large camera, as my right-hand is paralyzed.Larger cameras, with 'battery-bulge' were impossible to handle, and some cameras were too small, like the Elph series.
I found a camera online that was just the right size, Panasonic DMC-TZ1.
It's no bigger than my other digitals, while providing me with 10x optical, while giving a decent print, on those rare occasions when I choose to print a picture.

Collapse -
CircuitCity.com
by tompbl / March 23, 2007 10:00 AM PDT

I purchased my latest Digital camera from CircuitCity.com and it worked out great. Fast delivery, and my Exilm EZ-Z850 works great. I tried beating that price on-line in many search engines like Pricewatch, StreetDeals, Pricegraber, and so many other search engines, but the price CircuitCity had that day was so much better. Luck of the draw, or day.
I use Cnet's reviews and also their price checking to find the stores with the best price. I then compare this with all the above search results.
C/net is one heck of a good place for reviews and price comparisons.

Collapse -
Amazon.com
by jbaccarat / March 23, 2007 10:11 AM PDT

Great! I got fee shipping & it took a few days but in the meantime the price dropped almost $20. When I brought it to Amazon's attention, they credited the difference to my credit card.

Collapse -
Office Depot, so, at an office supply store

I bought my Sony Mavica FD-73 several years ago at Office Depot. The selling point for me was using floppy disks to store the photo's temporarily, and the price.

Still works like a champ and I love it.

Collapse -
walked into the camera store
by coffeecan / March 23, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

Walked to wolf camera store. talked to "camera" guy that has been there for years. Got what I wanted and walked out with it and some goodies that they gave me. The price was the same as anybody else.
works great.

Collapse -
forgot to mention
by coffeecan / March 23, 2007 10:31 AM PDT

forgot to mention - immediately took it to several european countries
and took some great shots. everything worked great. the canon elph sd
600 is perfect for travel and packs and carries well. Also have film type eplh and love it too.

Collapse -
Costco
by richchrono / March 23, 2007 10:53 AM PDT

I bought a Nikon D80 starter package (body, 18-55 and 55-200 lens, bag, and 1 GB SD card) at Costco a couple of months ago for $1,299.

It was the 30 day no-risk trial that tipped the scales for me.

Collapse -
where to buy a digital camera/camcorder? - Online at Amazon
by triplet grandmom / March 23, 2007 10:58 AM PDT

checked cameras out at electronics chain stores, read all the C-net reviews, etc., then ordered from Amazon with no sales tax and free shipping which arrives quickly.They are good about returns too (had a bad experience with a leather BBQ mitt. They issued credit immediately.

Collapse -
Bought online at B & H Photo
by GadgetPro2 / March 23, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

I bought a Canon Rebel Xti from B & H Photo and received amazing service, follow-up support and great pricing! I've gone back for accessories a few times since!

Collapse -
Buying from B&H online -
by hmcedk / March 23, 2007 11:30 AM PDT

I have been buying professional camera gear from B&H in NYC for many years and recently switched over to all digital which I ordered from B&H. The trick, as always, is to do your homework with diligence, know what you want, learn to ask the right questions, compare prices with other legitimate suppliers who stand by their products and then, and only then, make your purchase. While a $50 or $100 saving on an item may seem worth pursuing the headaches if something goes awry with a fly-by-night dealer may cost you much more if in no other way than time and aggravation. B&H personnel know what they are talking about and are willing to help in any way they can without the hard sell. I have found Amazon.com, Best Buy, and Willoughby's to be good sources for certain things as well

Collapse -
B&H
by jean harrington / March 23, 2007 11:39 AM PDT

I believe B&H was dealer I bought from, too.

Collapse -
Stick with B & H
by GadgetPro2 / March 23, 2007 11:41 AM PDT

hmcedk is right -- I bought some equipment from Butterfly Photo and was not as pleased as I was with B & H. With the high-end tripods, ballheads, etc., I shop at Really Right Stuff in CA. They offer exceptional products, really patient sales people who go the extra mile, and they even shipped some items to me at no cost for me to try without paying for them right away! That's unheard of! But...you will pay richly for their stuff -- it's pricey. But...so is getting "taken" by a no-name online store.

Collapse -
Where I purchased my last digital camera
by leelaw33 / March 23, 2007 11:58 AM PDT

I recently purchased my Kodak Z740 digital camera on eBay. This is the 6th Kodak refurbished camera that I have won in auctions and have had excellent luck with all of them. I have bought that number as I keep updating the quality and MP of them. So far so good.

Collapse -
Cameta Cameras
by MargoJH / March 23, 2007 12:03 PM PDT

Excellent service. Bought the Evolt 330 double lens kit & had it shipped to New Zealand It Arrived in 7 days & I saved about US$500 over purchasing the same in New Zealand

Collapse -
where I puchased my last digital camera
by jean harrington / March 23, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Cameta Cameras

This is not to say that REAL camera stores are bad.
All the advice and know-how,
I picked up from real camera stores.
They just didn't carry Panasonic.
I finally went back to them when B&H camera strap was impossible to use.
If I had my to choose,
I'd prefer to buy from a real camera store.

Collapse -
NEWEGG!!!!!!!
by scottls2 / March 23, 2007 12:22 PM PDT

I am not an employee or affiliated in any way with the online store, but MAN! I love this store! I bought a Canon A530 from Newegg.com and a TON more junk there I can't begin to list!
I know I sound like an advertisement for the place but to get the kind of service and unbeatable SPEED of shipping, ya just can't go wrong!
So few do I know that have had a bad buying experience but so many have said just the opposite and agree with me. Newegg is da bomb!
As for the canon powershot camera, well all I can say is, I will have hundreds of memories captured on my digital memory banks and many printed up and residing in my quickly growing family albums, thankfully not fading into forgotten moments of my past because of this little tech toy.
Both the camera and the Online store are GREATLY recommended by me!

Collapse -
Where else----------------------
by gobellz5 / March 23, 2007 12:40 PM PDT

Where else would I go but to WALMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Circuit City
by jhedelin / March 23, 2007 2:05 PM PDT

I tried several times to buy a Sony DSLR A-100k on line to find the "cheapest" deal. They always do not have what they advertise and want you to buy more and the final price is always a lot more (century31electonics is one of them).

Collapse -
NIKON D200
by MYVISTA / March 23, 2007 2:48 PM PDT

B&H CAMERA THE BEST OUT THERE, LAST TIME I GOT A D70. VANNS IS ALSO GOOD. FOTOMAN

Collapse -
Where did I buy my latest digital camera?
by davidwheeler / March 23, 2007 7:23 PM PDT

Online from Hyperfi Electrical Superstore via Amazon. It wis a Panasonic DMC-FZ7, "factory reconditioned" at

Collapse -
EBAY
by phxmark123 / March 23, 2007 7:33 PM PDT

With some time and patience EBAY is the way to go.

Do your research. I prefer DPreviews.com. There is no better camera review website.

Be aware! Check feedback. If it is a store do a google search for a store review and find out what others think about the store. I almost got bit by not doing this but at the last second before buying I searched a review to find out that this store did the ol low price to suck you in and then charge outrageous prices for batteries and memory.

Look for someone selling your camera within a hundred miles or so and ask to pick it up personally. Save on shipping and handling, plus you can check the item out personally. I did this. My girlfriend and I drove a couple hours to Oklahoma City, met the guy (nice guy), checked out the camera (Olympus E-500 DSLR with two lenes), stopped and had a nice lunch and then tried out the camera while siteseeing on the way back. It was a great day.

I got a camera that was used a few times, still under warantee and saved a couple hundred dollars off the local electronic store price. Ive been happy ever since.

Collapse -
MY LATEST DIGITAL CAMERA
by J RUIZ / March 23, 2007 10:12 PM PDT

I bought my latest camera in the Valencia store of FNAC.
It?s a SONY CIBER-SHOT DSC-W30 with 6,0 mega pixels. It has got a Vario- Tessar objective F 2,8-5,2 and Zoom fx3;6,3-18,9 by Zeiss.
Inner memory 32 MB. I use it with a 128 MB stick purchased apart.
Price 249

Collapse -
Great Price/Performance Combination
by tlnh / March 24, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

I have purchased 4 Kodak, EasyShare cameras directly from Kodak's Web site. All four were delivered as promised. All four are still in use by various family members. I basicaly upgrade my camera whenever one of my children needs a camera for a school class, club or extended trip. I have researched extensively & clearly Kodak won the JD Powers Award for developing a competative, reliable, easy to use, full featured line of cameras. I bought 2 new & 2 refurbished. All 4 have performed flawlessly!

Collapse -
Local office superstore
by winslowkr / March 24, 2007 9:25 AM PDT

I did a lot of online research, butfound my local Staples (with taxes) came within a few bucks of online stores (with shipping).

Collapse -
MY FUJI 9600
by nickbreaux / March 24, 2007 10:23 PM PDT

On line firect from Fuji service was excellent!

Collapse -
eBay
by StinkyCheeseMan / March 24, 2007 10:35 PM PDT

I bought my Canon 300D on eBay. No problems. I was interested in a EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens so I searched ebay. Someone was selling the lens with a 20D body, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM, a hard carrying case, 2 spare batteries, 2 extra CF cards and several filters. The buy it now price was 2300 so I jumped. The only problem was with the 28-135. It needs to be realigned. I've also bought an EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS on ebay. For other supplies I prefer UniquePhoto. Very helpful and knowledgeable staff. Ditto for B&H. For servicing: Mack Camera. It also helps that I work near B&H and live near UniquePhoto and Mack.

Collapse -
Local is better
by texnavydoc / March 24, 2007 11:13 PM PDT

I Bought an Olympus E-1 (used) from Precision Camera in Austin Texas. They spent a lot of time with me finding out just exactly what I was going to use the camera for. They said I needed the USED camera, not the new E-500. Can't get that from the internet or big-box stores. I have since looked on E-Bay for lenses and such. Cameta camera's "bids" always seem to end up at the SAME HIGH PRICE if I have a low bid....HMMMMM

Collapse -
Read User Reviews First
by gkear1974 / March 25, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

I puchased my Canon Rebel on ebay not only for the low price, but because I could read reviews of each camera by actual ebay purchasers. here's an example. camera review

Collapse -
BOUGHT ONLINE AT WALMART.COM
by svomike / March 25, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

I GOT WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A GREAT BARGAIN BY BEING PATIENT, I BOUGHT A
KONICA MINOLTA 7D FOR $699 WITH 18-70 MM LENS AFTER WAITING A YEAR AFTER
CONSIDERING PAYING $1699 FOR JUST THE BODY. I KNEW ABOUT THE MINOLTA DEMISE, BUT I AM A TRUE MINOLTA FAN, AND ALL MY EQUIPMENT WAS MINOLTA. I LEARNED OVER THE YEARS THAT PATIENCE AND RESEARCH PAYS OFF AND WALMART ONLINE CARRIES ITEMS THEY WILL NOT CARRY AT THEIR STORES. I SAY BOTTOM LINE IS DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND YOU WILL MOST OF THE TIME GET WHAT YOU WANT
AND A GREAT BARGAIN. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY 7D, I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE BEST AMONG THE 6MP DIGITAL SLRS, HAPPY HUNTING.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!