Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Where did my thread go?

I have recently been monitoring a thread and as of late last night it dropped from 60+ posts to 13. I believe these posts were removed by moderator Robert Proffitt because he couldn't admit that he was wrong. Any unbiased reader following the thread would agree that he could be wrong. But instead of accepting that truth he went in last night and removed all references to his folly.

The forum in question is:

Windows Vista: Vista Won't Boot (Black Screen) After Bad Windows Update
by ByronGman - 9/2/07 9:05 AM

Since I tracked the thread I have a dozen emails that now point to nothing. And I still haven't solved my issue. I just want my thread back so we can fix our problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where did my thread go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where did my thread go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've seen no activity...

In reply to: Where did my thread go?

I see three points of confusion. First, I read the latest post to that thread yesterday evening and, at that time, there were only 13 posts in the thread. Therefore, unless at least fifty replies were posted in the course of less than 24 hours that tally is false. Second, you are a new member and this post, in fact, was your first on Cnet. Bob has not been a participant in that thread and you have had no previous interaction with him as far as I can tell, so I see absolutely no reason why you have chosen to single him out as the purported perpetrator. And third, The thread was started by ByronGman, not climberpete1, so I do not see how it is 'your thread.' Feel free to post the links to the reportedly deleted posts, bt at this time I see absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing.

John

Collapse -
There was plenty of activity

In reply to: I've seen no activity...

First: As of Jan 18th mid day there were 60+, if you checked it Jan 18th eve you must have checked it after the posts were removed.

Second: This was not my first post on cnet, I have posted 5 or 6 times, but all on that thread and all have since been removed. Bob also posted many times on that thread, but all have since been removed.

Third: You are correct, I did not start the thread. I do not claim it as mine in that regard. But I was using that thread to try to solve a similar problem that I was experiencing. There were at least 10 other people responding to that thread for the same purpose.

Luckily I subscribed to thread updates so I have all the emails, here are a few links, they now come back as "message can not be found in the database":

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=262632&messageID=2956375#2956375

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=262632&messageID=2956331#2956331

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=262632&messageID=2955829#2955829

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=262632&messageID=2954573#2954573

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=262632&messageID=2954455#2954455

At least one of those was posted by bob himself, but since the emails don't list the poster I don't know which.

Collapse -
Google cache

In reply to: There was plenty of activity

Collapse -
Indeed you are correct...

In reply to: Google cache

My apologies--evidently I was remembering that thread's previous post count incorrectly. I feel it would be premature to jump to conclusions regarding what happened to those posts, but have asked that their disappearance be looked into tomorrow.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Indeed you are correct...

Thank you, and I do hope that my conclusion was premature and that the thread can be restored.

Collapse -
Yup I removed my posts.

I shared what I'm encountering and rather than help it appeared to irritate the original poster.

My replies are removed and will not respond to this post since my experiences in this matter are not acceptable discussion. A little one sided but I'll respect this member's post and let them carry on without me.
Bob

Collapse -
The rest?

In reply to: Yup I removed my posts.

So what about the other 40 posts? You removed them too?

Collapse -
I only deleted mine.

In reply to: The rest?

Due to the nature of the forum software what was below my reply would vanish.

Again, it appeared that my experiences in this area was deemed unacceptable input. To make the discussion a more peaceful my posts were best removed.

Feel free to post what you feel is going on with that subject of Windows Update.
Bob

Collapse -
REstore teh thread please

I dont have any idea why a moderator would take it upon themselves to remove so many posts from a thread and then say its a hardware issue, when it isnt. I know this to be true because my motherboard and Video card have been replaced twice and the issue is still not resolved. it would be nice if the moderators knew what they were talking about before they even post anything. I have a tech in my house replacing my motherboard for a 3rd time now. and he says IT"S NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. and agrees with me on the fact it has to be a software issue in reguards to a windows update. The only reason the tech is replacing my motherboard is because Dell Tech support refuses to help me until he changes it out. Please restore the posts to this thread. it was wrong to delete them. thanks................

Collapse -
There are solid reasons why

In reply to: REstore teh thread please

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.