Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where Did My Task Manager Go?

I have two items:

OK, I recently installed Windows 2000 Professional Edition as I got fed up with my Windows 2000 Server Station, which I want to erase (I earlier wrote in a previous message that I had difficulties staying connected to the internet using my server station, likely indicating a firewire that I could not locate after HOURS of work. Just a reminder, you can't install an antivirus program or other internet security programs on the 2000 server station, which was a big reason I'm converting). It could not "upgrade" but partitioned my C: drive and created a new D: drive, so I have two operating systems. As I've installed all my software and adjusted my settings on the new operating system (my internet connection works fine now), I was wondering how I would go about erasing the C: drive? I'm just nervous that this will disrupt my new operating system boot up eventhough it's now on a new drive. While I'm a little anxious, I have to admit a certain devilish excitement in the potentially cathartic experience of just eradicating my old . . . well, everything! Does anyone recommend a software program that is the most effective?

Second, I received a couple error messages during installation and now when I hit Cntr.+Alt.+Delete and select Task Manager, I return to my desktop but task manager does not open up. I have reinstalled the operating system several times, including running Microsoft's troubleshooter and help programs on this problem, but it has not resolved the issue. Of course, Task Manager is a very important application to be able to run. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate everyone's time, patience and consideration on this matter.

Best regards,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where Did My Task Manager Go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where Did My Task Manager Go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlikely.

In reply to: Where Did My Task Manager Go?

Windows doesn't respond to you removing the C: partiton and moving D: to C:.

Just bite the bullet and start over fresh.

-> About "Server" and antivirus software. Symantec, Mcafee and others have a version of such for Windows Server NT/2000/2003. It does exist, just pricey.

The Task Manager issue sounds like classic malware has damaged the OS. Did you go on the internet without protection?

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe the Registry?

In reply to: Unlikely.

It wasn't the internet as I wasn't even connected to the internet on this drive until a couple hours ago. What happened is the first few times I entered Windows 2000 Professional I received an error message "SNDSRVC.exe application error" . . ."failure to initialize properly", then a "spoolsv.exe has generated errors". I ran TweakNow RegCleaner and System Mechanic 5's registry cleaner and it deleted the dead links. After this I didn't receive the error messages during startup but I couldn't find the Task Manager either. Unfortunately I didn't have a backup to undo the registry cleaner if indeed this is what was responsible.

But I'm curious as to your comment on 'biting the bullet' and erasing the c: drive entirely. I launched and installed Microsoft 2000 professional from the server station operating system. Do I not need to be in Windows to launch it? If I completely clear the C: drive (and delete the D: drive as well I guess? Is this possible?), how would I have the opportunity to reinstall Windows 2000 Professional? Would I even have as much as a DOS prompt? Or could I use the CD as the boot disk itself and launch from that? I'd be really nervous doing that if my C: drive is wiped clean. Would the computer even recognize the CD drivers without windows?

Lastly, how would I erase the drive? Is there a program I could use that's recommended precisely for such a purpose?

Thanks!

Collapse -
That's an expert install.

In reply to: Maybe the Registry?

I can't help such installs. It's my choice to only offer tips on the straight and narrow methods of installing Windows 2000 Pro. i.e. boot the CD and install.

" I launched and installed Microsoft 2000 professional from the server station operating system. " would be some procedure I know not to use. You can try it and live with the results.

Best of luck in recovery.

-> How I wipe the drive.

I use one of two methods. The first method is all on the Windows 2000 CD. I boot the CD and during the install I use the partition tool (it's just a simple menu) to remove and create the new partitions. 2000 will format and install to such.

The second method is rarely used. I use KILLDISK to zerofill the hard disk in rare cases where the 2000 CD doesn't do the job.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Collapse -
What about the task manager though

In reply to: That's an expert install.

Yeah, I think I messed up by installing Windows 2000 professional from the 2000 Server station op. system. I was told by a neighbor that it would automatically uninstall, or overwrite, my old operating system (Again, you can't UPGRADE to 2000 professional from 2000 server station. This apparently was the problem). Of course it just made it more complicated. I think I did it this way because I'm simply more comfortable in the windows environment and didn't plan ahead.

I think your right in that its best to install 2000 professional off the CD boot drive itself. I believe there's a command prompt during bootup that asks to press any key to boot off the Windows CD (if in the CD drive), but it only lasts a couple seconds. Is this correct?

Also, as far as wiping the C: (and now D: drive that was created), if I decide to try it from the CD boot up itself, where would I locate this option to remove the partitions in the menu? This would completely erase the hard drive, I hope? Then I could create a new (and empty) C: drive? I assume to use KILLDISK I would have to access a Dos prompt? Or could I use it off of the Run command in the Start menu? Again, like you, I think its best to try it off of the Windows CD boot up first though.

Also, what about the drives to my hardware and peripherals? My concern is I don't have the drives for my CD and CD-R (although I do for my modem, sound card, etc.). Would Windows simply try to find a suitable, effective drive to use for these devices?

Lastly, I'm sure a complete new reinstall would resolve the Task Manager problem but in the meantime, any thoughts on how to resolve this issue (it doesn't open up)?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
How I'd resolve it.

In reply to: What about the task manager though

I'd install it proper. It's a fresh (bum) install. I don't waste time fixing bum installs with the repair option. I've seen this too many times and use the fastest repair methods. i.e a proper install.

If you feel it should be repairable, try a repair install, or call Microsoft support. One item you must remember is that Microsoft did get better in the repair options of Windows 2000 but it's never assured.

Bob

Collapse -
I think I'm slowing seeing it your way too

In reply to: How I'd resolve it.

Thanks again Bob. I really can't thank you enough for your help.

I think a fresh install is probably the way to go, even after all those hours spent trying to fix it. I ran Windows Professional repair program several times but it didn't seem to do anything. I guess it's difficult to do it knowing how much time (and patience) I'd loose reinstalling all the drivers and programs, but I think your right.

So I'd just put the Windows 2000 Professional CD in the drive and when prompted to boot from that CD I hit yes, then in the menu there's an option to remove the partitions on my harddrive (both C: and D:)? Will it automatically recreate and empty C: drive after it does this? At this point I reinstall Windows 2000 Pro fresh?

Sorry for asking about the details but its obviously a radical step to take and I'm a little anxious, although I would like to get this resolved (as you probably know by know I'm FAR from an expert on technical matters, which is precisely why I so appreciate your help and reassurance). Do you recommend copying any data to CD before erasing the hard drive and then reinstalling?

Thanks again Bob!

Collapse -
Yes, you can do that.

In reply to: I think I'm slowing seeing it your way too

In fact, that's the method I use all the time. I boot the 2000 CD, use it's tool/menu to delete what old partition(s), create anew and install. I add drivers, firewall and then I can update it with Windows update.

AUTOSTREAMER is a favorite tool of mine to create a Windows 2000 SP4 CD so I have less passes of Windows Update.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.