Mac OS forum

General discussion

Where did my hard drive go???

When I try to install os x onto my iMac it says basicaly that there is no hard drive to install it on. Before i tried installed the new os, i always had a hard drive(obviously) and i never had any problems with it. so what i did now was tried to install the old os 9 back into the computer, but my hard drive still isnt there. What do i do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where did my hard drive go???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where did my hard drive go???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard Drive

In reply to: Where did my hard drive go???

Which iMac are you trying to install OS X onto? How much RAM does it have?
Figuring out how you got into this position is the first step. I guess that the iMac was working correctly,running OS 9.x.x, before you decided to install OS X, is that correct?
What did you do from that point? Is the OS X installer the real thing or is it on a Restore Disk from somewhere?
The full installer for OS X requires that you boot from the CD and allow the installer to do its thing. This "should" have left you with OS X and OS 9.x.x living on the same HD without a problem. If this was the way you went, did you Format the HD (with the installer) and then install OS X? If so, your HD is probably formatted in a way that OS 9 can no longer "see" it. Can you Boot the machine from your OS X CD's and then use the Disk Utility to check out what is happening. What I don't understand is, what happened to the OS 9 that was on the working HD?

Let us know

P

Collapse -
Where did my hard drive go???

In reply to: Hard Drive

The original OS was 9.0.4. I went up to OS 10.2 and it was working fine for a while, but then I tried starting it up one day and it wouldnt start. So i tried booting it up from the OS 10.2 cd, but there was no drive preasent to install it on. I then tried the same thing with the OS 9.0.4 cd and here I am.

Collapse -
Hard Drive Missing

Sounds like you no longer have a hard drive, or at least a working one.
The first indication was that the machine failed to start up one day. However, it booted from a CD but there was not Hard Drive present.
Your next step is to replace the Hard Drive and start again. I have a horribly feeling that you have no backups. If this is the case, you have lost everything. Before you go find yourself a soft rope, do the following. Start up the machine from either one of the Installer CD's.
DO NOT go into the installer. On the CD you should find a Disk Utility program. Run it and see if it "sees" the Hard Drive. If it does, try to get it to fix it. Do you have any other utilities, Disk Warrior, Techtool Pro, etc.? Power down the machine and, with your ear close to the cd tray/slot, start the machine up. Listen for the sound of the HD spinning up. If it is spinning, a utility "might" save your data.
Worst case scenario, dead drive with all data lost. Best case, a HD will a badly corrupted directory that "may" be recoverable with Disk Warrior.

P

Collapse -
Hard Drive Missing

In reply to: Hard Drive Missing

P. Did this poor person hear a screaching sound when he booted up. Sometimes, an indication that your hard dive has bought the ranch and is dead. Morte!
But all is not lost. You could probably suggest how to recover data drom a dead hard drive. I have heard of this before. The I.R.S, F.B.I., C.I.A. and and the Feds. know how to do it also. :?)

Kevin

Collapse -
Hard Drive Missing

In reply to: Hard Drive Missing

P. Did this poor person hear a screaching sound when he booted up. Sometimes, an indication that your hard drive has bought the ranch and is dead. Morte!
But all is not lost. You could probably suggest how to recover data drom a dead hard drive. I have heard of this before. The I.R.S, F.B.I., C.I.A. and and the Feds. know how to do it also. :?)

Kevin

Collapse -
Is there any progress

on this problem.
It has been very quite for a while

P

Collapse -
Quiet Post

In reply to: Is there any progress

P, Our IT personnel will take a dead hard drive and put the original hard drive disk onto a working hard drive, transfer all the data to a new drive and all is not lost. How they do it? Not mine to question or how to figure it out. I an not IT.
How did the person send a post if his hard drive was dead? Just a question? :?)
Kevin

Collapse -
Hi there

I was wondering if after booting to the cd (either the 9.02 or the Jaguar one...did you try using drive setup? It could be you may just need to run it, then run disk first aid or maybe even try running Disk warrior via its cd to repair the hd.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.