PC Hardware forum

General discussion

where did my dvdrom & cdrom go???

hi guys, i don't see my dvd drive and my cd drive in My Computer anymore! the funny thing is, the Bios still recognizes them.

i reinstalled windows last night, but no use. i tried the regedit, no use either. please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where did my dvdrom & cdrom go???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where did my dvdrom & cdrom go???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What OS?

In reply to: where did my dvdrom & cdrom go???

Many versions of Windows do that if...

1. The motherboard drivers are not installed.
2. The owner installs Roxio or other CDR recording software.

The clues are not in your post but you can guess the cure for item 1. For item 2 type REMOVE UPPERFILTERS LOWERFILTERS into google.com

Bob

Collapse -
motherboard driver

In reply to: What OS?

where would i find the right motherboard driver?

thank you for your reply in advance.

Collapse -
Can't tell you.

In reply to: motherboard driver

Without the make and model I can't look for you but I look at the maker's web sites...

Bob

Collapse -
make & model

In reply to: Can't tell you.

it's an Emachines T6212, but I can't seem to find anything on their website...

Collapse -
For those you use the restore CDs and it puts the drivers

In reply to: make & model

Collapse -
no use after recovery

In reply to: For those you use the restore CDs and it puts the drivers

i've done the system recovery (back-up AND destructive) 3 times already, still no use. is this still a windows issue? i can't find any trace of my dvdrom or cdrom in windows...not in my computer, not in device manager, etc...

Collapse -
Since it's not working after a recovery.

In reply to: no use after recovery

Then that points to "other" issues. Since we use the CD during restore it's possible but unlikely the hardware is at fault.

Then again it could be "something" that you loaded such as Roxio or other. Please tell more.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Since it's not working after a recovery.

to give you the "full" story as much as i can remember,
i bought the t6212 from best buy a little over a year ago.
the original DVD-ROM would sometimes disappear from my computer, and reappear, and never happened again. i replaced my OEM lite-on dvd-rom with a pioneer unit about 6 months ago because i felt like the lite-on unit wasn't burning correctly (messed up too many blank dvd's). never had a problem with the pioneer unit after the install.

i put in a new video card (nvidia 128mb fx 5500) prior to replacing my dvd-rom. on-board video is disabled in the bios.

well, just recently, i tried to install some extra RAM which i failed to do because it wouldn't recognize all of the memory. i have 4 memory slots, 2 of which are being used with RAM from factory (2x256 ddr pc3200 400mhz). tried to install a single 512mb (Ultra brand, same spec) and would only recognize 768mb. took it out, i'm back to my original 512mb now. i'm waiting to get another 512mb memory so i can try installing in pairs.

computer came with Nero DVD-Burning software, and i never use anything else (like Roxio).

after the System Restore last night, i tried to upgrade to Windows XP Pro (i have Home Edition from factory), but after the CD reads all of the drivers from the blue windows setup screen, i get the blue screen error saying that i need to restart my computer, but doesn't really tell me what error it is...don't know if it's a bad CD?

that's it as far as what i've done to my computer. just realized that both my dvd-rom and cd-rom disappeared from My Computer, and i can't get them to reappear even after a complete system restore.

is this something i need to take to a computer repair shop (like Geeksquad?) i'd hate to pay for something like this...seems like it's something i can fix myself, but i feel like i've done everything i could...

Collapse -
Maybe it's not a "complete" restore. Here's why.

In reply to: ...

The clue in that CD burning software is telling. There are WELL KNOWN issues with a registry entry and missing drives but the drives function for booting the restore CDs. Here's the magic words for your next google.

REMOVE UPPERFILTERS LOWERFILTERS

The CDGONE utility from aumha's web site also does this for you but I prefer the manual method. Also the tool TWEAKUI can hide drive letters as well as unhide them. Some pests hide the drive letters to torture the unfortunate.

Bob

Collapse -
UPPERFILTER/LOWERFILTER

In reply to: Maybe it's not a "complete" restore. Here's why.

i've tried this method prior to the system restore, and didn't work.

i went in to the registry after the system restore, and i don't see the Upperfilter nor the Lowerfilter keys anymore.

i'm really sorry to keep bugging you about this...i saw somewhere that i should try to run the "dougknox" software to restore CD/DVD drives to Windows Explorer?

Collapse -
Please do that.

In reply to: UPPERFILTER/LOWERFILTER

Also tell about TWEAKUI and hidden drive letters.

"i went in to the registry after the system restore, and i don't see the Upperfilter nor the Lowerfilter keys anymore."

One owner wrote me about this but they didn't SEARCH the registry. They had gone to where they expected it.

Also, any CD/DVD emulator? Any P2P use? Tell me if you tried a new IDE cable.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Oops, sorry. Any NETWORKING involved?

In reply to: Please do that.

Collapse -
IDE CABLE / NETWORKING

In reply to: where did my dvdrom & cdrom go???

i have not tried a new ide cable, but felt like i didn't need to because the drives are still recognized by the bios, just not by windows.

i do have wireless network setup with another laptop that i use.

Collapse -
Any MAPPED DRIVES?

In reply to: IDE CABLE / NETWORKING

Unmap till then...

Also, in the device manager. Got drives?

Bob

Collapse -
device manager

In reply to: Any MAPPED DRIVES?

doesn't show CD/DVD roms at all.

Collapse -
Thats a clue.

In reply to: device manager

If the drives show in the BIOS but not XP's device manager I look at MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS.

To help me help you find this, tell me the CHIPSET used in your machine.

Bob

Collapse -
chipset

In reply to: Thats a clue.

MS-7093 Chipset BIOS

i found this motherboard driver from emachines web site...haven't had a chance to install it yet, i will when i go home from work today.

Collapse -
AKA MSI RX480M-ILS [MS-7093]

In reply to: chipset

Collapse -
so i'm looking for...

In reply to: AKA MSI RX480M-ILS [MS-7093]

ATI SATA RAID Driver (For floppy install)?

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: so i'm looking for...

I can't connect that one liner with an answer.

Collapse -
sorry

In reply to: Sorry.

Collapse -
Do you use RAID? If no, then no. If yes, yes.

In reply to: sorry

But this is the one I'd target as a for sure.

ATI System Drivers for RS480/RS482/RC410/SB600

There are other notables too, but that's the one for me.

The RAID driver might be required if you connected to the RAID connection. Again I can't know how you have the machine configured.

Bob

Collapse -
RAID

In reply to: Do you use RAID? If no, then no. If yes, yes.

how would i know if i have RAID configured or not?

Collapse -
It's like your car.

In reply to: RAID

Eventually you gotta know. Since it's an option and I didn't configure the machine I can't know this.

Sorry,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.