Computer Help forum

General discussion

Where did my arrow thing go in my taskbar?

by phattferd / February 27, 2005 2:59 AM PST

All of a sudden the arrow thing that minimizes all the icons in the taskbar disappeared and with I right click in there a message pops up that says something about "the 16 bit application" is doing something dont remember exactly, it freezes up when I do this.

I ran Nortons last night when I went to bed and nothing came up then when I closed nortons or closed the window, its always enabled, my arrow thing was missing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where did my arrow thing go in my taskbar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where did my arrow thing go in my taskbar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info?
by caktus / February 27, 2005 3:59 AM PST

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Also, what browser are you using? Where should this arrow be (are you refering to Quick Launch)? Where are you clicking and what are you expecting to see with this click? Knowing the error messages would probably help a lot. Have you scanned for spyware n" such?

Collapse -
Yes did all of that
by phattferd / February 27, 2005 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: More info?

Its Windows SP2, I don't see why it matters what browser I use? Its the taskbar down by the clock. I have an Emachines I cant think of the model number, but it is the Athlon 3200.

Collapse -
Just trying to make sure I understand...
by caktus / February 27, 2005 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yes did all of that

the problem you are experiencing.

Are you refering to the Desktop Toolbar that allows you to access Desktop icons w/o actually going to the Desktop?

Can you reproduce the error so you can provide the error messages. Knowing the error messages would probably help a lot.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did the problem occur after installing SP2?
by caktus / February 27, 2005 6:22 AM PST
Collapse -
No the system came with SP2
by phattferd / February 27, 2005 7:01 AM PST

It wont happen anymore, but I am talking about the area around the clock. There shuold be a thing that looks like this "<" and turn around when you click on it to access all the icons. I have about 8 icons open down there adn the arrow wont appear. I just want to hide most of them, its taking away the area for minimized windows on the rest of the bar.

Collapse -
Download the DOS Application Patch for Windows XP SP 2
by caktus / February 27, 2005 8:16 AM PST
Collapse -
A buddy fixed it for me
by phattferd / February 28, 2005 8:39 AM PST

Thanks for the help. I don't know what he did, but he was over the other day and checked it out and its back. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Where did my arrow thing go in my taskbar?
by Tufenuf / February 27, 2005 8:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Assuming an 'arrow thing' is a chevron...
by Edward ODaniel / February 28, 2005 6:26 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?