Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Where Did Icon Legends Go?

by dcmorris / April 6, 2005 12:55 PM PDT

All posts are showing "read" and I no longer get "Mark all messages read". Is this a problem on my end? I tried a search and found no mention of anyone else having a problem. Have I missed something?

DC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where Did Icon Legends Go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where Did Icon Legends Go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dana, I Haven't Experienced It Recently...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 1:28 PM PDT

...but the issue was a problem a while back.....All the forums are listed correctly as "read" or "unread" here..

You might try loggin out, then logging back in again. (Use the "Log Out" link in the upper left...Of course, maybe your's says: "Log In" which means your need to do so...Maybe you deleted your cookies.) Frequently that is the cause.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still Not Working
by dcmorris / April 7, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

Grif, I have tried every conceivable combination and still no go. I even cleared all of my cookies and started from scratch. I am experiencing no other problems on this or any other site.
Maybe I should re-register? Can I do that maintaining the same user name?

DC

Collapse -
DC, I Don't Think It Will Come To That...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Still Not Working

First, you can't re-register with the same name..And if you changed it, heck, we wouldn't know who you were...LOL

Have you tried logging on from another computer? If it works on another computer then it's an issue with your machine.

In addition, in a week or so, there is going to be a forum redesign. Currently, there are some "language filter" changes going on and that could be the cause of your issue now...I'd wait it out for a while.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by dcmorris / April 7, 2005 5:51 AM PDT

I'll wait as you suggest. Meantime if I get the opportunity I will log in on another computer. In any event I will report back.

DC

Collapse -
Grif, I Tried Another Computer
by dcmorris / April 11, 2005 11:13 PM PDT

and I got the "Mark as read" message and the first few posts showed the "not read" icon.
I will now just wait until the redesign is complete but it is beginning to look like the problem is on my end.
I'll update here in any event.

DC

Collapse -
Correction
by dcmorris / April 11, 2005 11:17 PM PDT

I did not get "not read" (or "unread"). I got the "new posts" icon on the first few posts.

DC

Collapse -
A New Wrinkle
by dcmorris / April 11, 2005 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Correction

Just for the heck of it, I logged on using the Firefox browswer (I used IE before) and the "Mark All Read" message is where it should be and the first post shows the "unread"icon.
I think I might get to like Firefox even better.

DC

Collapse -
Yep, I Use Both Browsers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: A New Wrinkle

...Internet Explorer and Firefox serve my needs just fine..

You may need to "repair" Internet Explorer from "Add/Remove Programs". It might fix the issue...Or maybe running the IEFix utility from the link below will do it...

IEFix Utility
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Then again, you might wait until the forum "redesign" is over. It could be the root cause of your issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The Thought Plickens
by dcmorris / April 12, 2005 1:49 AM PDT

Wouldn't you know, Grif, et al, It now works ok in IE without me lifting a finger except to type these posts.
As an MD once told me,"we are going to treat this with skillful but benign neglect". I guess that applies to computers too.

DC

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL, That's Excellent Computer Repair Work...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2005 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: The Thought Plickens
Collapse -
Problem Has Reared Its Ugly Head Again
by dcmorris / April 23, 2005 7:52 AM PDT

I have waited a few days to post this as I wanted to wait until the new changes had settled in.
I am not getting any legend icons nor am I getting "Mark all messages read". (Again)
Are you there, Grif?

DC

Collapse -
DC, It's Probably The Result Of The Forum 'Reversion'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2005 8:34 AM PDT

Did you visit during our recent forum redesign test period? The redesign took place for about 12 hours, then Lee Koo needed to revert back to the "old" forum format. I'm guessing that the reversion took us back to a format where you had problems.

The redesigned format will be coming back soon, but I can't tell you when, maybe Monday. Here's a link to Lee's discussion about it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=99822&messageID=1145433

If you read Cetin Denislam's post, it refers to some problems similar to your's.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif
by dcmorris / April 25, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

I will wait a couple of more days.
In any event, I will post back here.

DC

Collapse -
Grif, Struck Out On Forum Feedback
by dcmorris / May 1, 2005 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Grif

Posted over there April 28 and received no replies. Now that I have visited that forum I can see why. They are not very responsive.
I would think someone in the hierarchy would want to find the cause of the problem.
Is there a court of last resort or should I just accept the fact there is no solution and live with it?
Am I the only one experiencing this problem?
As I pointed out, the problem only exists in the Newbies Forum but this is the only forum of interest to me.
Is there a forum more appropriate?
By definition I would think "Feedback" would be appropriate but I guess they have other fish to fry.

DC

Collapse -
DC, Are You The Only One Experiencing It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 1, 2005 4:12 AM PDT

Maybe...So far, and I've checked around some, you're the only one that I see...that is having the problem. The really strange part is that it's ONLY happening on the Newbies forum.. As far as I know, they all are coded the same so I'm not sure why this one would be different than the others.

At this point, I'd try repairing Internet Explorer...Delete ALL cookies and Temporary Internet Files, etc.

You mentioned earlier that Firefox works fine..If that's still the case, then maybe you need to use that browser while you try to get Internet Explorer working correctly.

In regards to Forum Feedback, it is the right forum but you may need to BUMP your topic once in a while..No telling, you might get Lee to respond.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
An Update
by dcmorris / April 28, 2005 6:20 AM PDT

The icon legends are now showing but they are not indicated on the list of posts. All post indicate "read".
There is no provision for marking all discussions read.
Here is a new wrinkle: on other forums everything is OK.
Is there something different with "Computer newbies" forum?

DC

Collapse -
Dana, The Link For Marking 'All Discussions Read'..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: An Update

..is way down in the lower right corner of each forum's main page, just beneath the last thread's listing.

Hopefully you'll notice that we've got a new format now and that should have solved most of your problems. If you continue to experience issues, then you probably should report them to Lee in "Forum Feedback".

It still sounds like you're not entirely logged on. Tell me this....When you access the forum, in the upper left, just below the light green section with the words "CNET FORUMS", looking in the dark green area, do you see "Welcome, DC" or does it say something else? Just below that, does it say: "Log out" and "Edit Profile"?

Just curious.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by dcmorris / April 28, 2005 10:47 AM PDT

There is no"All Discussions Read" anywhere when I am logged onto "Computer Newbies". Also, all discussions indicate they have been read whether I have read them or not.
This is not the case when I log onto the other cnet forums. They have the dicussions properly marked as they should be. The "All Discussions read" is also there in the lower right corner of the forum pages.
The problem only exists on the "Computer Newbies" forum page.
When I log on "Computer Newbies" I see "Welcome dcmorris" and just below that it says "Log Out" and "Edit Profile".
At your suggestion I will report this to "Forum Feedback".

DC

Collapse -
That IS Strange...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif

I have no idea why "Newbies" would be any different than any other forum.

I'm stumped.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, Per Your Suggestion I
by dcmorris / April 28, 2005 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: That IS Strange...
Collapse -
Grif, My Earlier Reply Today
by dcmorris / May 1, 2005 6:01 AM PDT

was out of synch with the thread. I will get down here at the bottom of the thread.
For a couple of days it was working OK in Firefox but no more.
I'll bump the Feedback post occasionally and maybe some help will come forward.

DC

Collapse -
Grif, etal, Final Chapter
by dcmorris / May 8, 2005 2:31 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.