TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

WHERE DID CUSTOMER SERVICE GO???

by techfiend / January 24, 2006 4:53 AM PST

I read the posts on this forum often enough to see a huge patern in the industry we all follow. Their is absolutley no customer service. Especially for the guys who buy plasmas, specifically; the hitachi with the giant pink 4:3 burn in, and the HP with the infared shut down(two posts that come to mind). But it goes farther than that, I've spent well over 3,000 dollars in best buy over the past 3 months. But everytime I walk in their Im like a ghost, I thought it might be because of my age(20's). But I watched as dozens of customers were avoided by the employees. One guy left a sale and didnt come back for over 10 min. Then when you buy the item, and need some support things go from bad to just plain ugly. autmation is ok for certain aspects of support. but even when you get an actual person on the phone, they are clueless, rude, or an unfortunate combination of the two. Which brings me to what the consumer can do...shop anywhere else! I just bought some nice equipment from an online vendor for half the price, no shipping, and great follow up info. I try very hard not to go to Best Buy for anything, circuit city is better, with the employee treatment of customers. Not great but better. As always tell me what you think

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHERE DID CUSTOMER SERVICE GO???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHERE DID CUSTOMER SERVICE GO???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The world is self-service
by Dan Filice / January 24, 2006 6:10 AM PST

At one time, I did my HT shopping in a smaller independent store where they knew your name (kinda like Cheers) and they really knew their stuff. Dealing with the upper 1/3 of quality HT products, it cost a bit more but I felt like the money I spent was at least going in the right direction. Unfortunately, small speciality stores can't make it now with big-box store selling away the markups. BB and CC have only some of the higher-end stuff, but it's basically self-serve there. I just go to look and I try to educate myself. If you look at many posts here, a lot of people do the "impulse buy" thing. They go into Costco or Walmart or Sams or...and they buy on impulse based on nothing but a big bright picture that looks better than the 20" TV they've had for 15 years. Then, we shop ourselves to death until we save every last dime, regardless of product quality or customer service, and worse, we ***** when the crud we buy has problems. But, this is exactly what the manufacturers count on to help pay for their R&D to build better products. In a way, we consumers have shot ourselves in our own foot. Is this why I'm limping?

Collapse -
You get what you pay for...
by sirroundsound / January 24, 2006 9:37 AM PST

Customer service is alive and well, just not enjoyed by the average consumer.
Somewhere some how competition took over. Someone out there decided that most people want to shop based on price. We live in a world where all the information you could want is at your finger tips, so why would you want any help?
If you really believe you are getting a deal then good for you. BB and CC and others make money, and alot of it. They live on better margins than most independant shops do. The little guy doesn't have the buying power, plus he still has to be some what competitive in his pricing or no one would shop with him.
Small shops actually have a staff that knows what they are talking about, and they know how to install what they sell. Which means very, very few $10.00hr kids working for them. They have to pay for a staff that knows, which can cost alot.
If you want someone to actually help you, go to a small retail shop, they may even ask you enough questions to help you make the right choice for your purchase, and it really won't cost you alot more. (unless your looking for the 200.00 home theater, in which case I would say don't waste your time or money)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/sirroundsound

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?