How To forum

Question

where can I use or enter a MIB generator software code??

by sajee3a / February 5, 2014 3:50 AM PST

I have downloaded a MIB generator software.
I opened the file and there is a word pad file with the code.
I don't know where to run it !!!
I'm not familiar with programming!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where can I use or enter a MIB generator software code??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where can I use or enter a MIB generator software code??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
SMNP ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 4:06 AM PST
Collapse -
snmp mibs
by sajee3a / February 5, 2014 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: SMNP ?
Collapse -
OK, let's say you have a MIB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: snmp mibs

What good is that without a device and all the other trappings. Back to the beginning. It's as if you decided you want to use SNMP to do something but maybe we can find another way that you can use.
Bob

Collapse -
What good is that without a device and all the other trappin
by sajee3a / February 6, 2014 12:20 AM PST

That's my question, where can i run the mib code?
what setup should i have or create to work with it?

Collapse -
You run the MIB code on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 12:35 AM PST

Well, there are some million devices that do SNMP reporting and accept a MIB. Creating a MIB is akin to creating a custom sized lug nut and then trying to find a car to put it on.

Totally backwards.

Let's go to the beginning here. What lead to think you want to use SMNP?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: mibs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 6:02 PM PST
In reply to: snmp mibs

The readme in the downloaded zip should be clear for the developer. It's
"A Python script that parses an SNMP MIB text file and generates a skeleton C source code
file that can be used with the LWIP-SNMP to implement a private mib.

So it seems you need Python and C and the LWIP-SNMP. If this as abracadabra for you, you might not have the right experience to do what you want.

Kees

Collapse -
you might not have the right experience to do what you want!
by sajee3a / February 6, 2014 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: mibs

That's why I'm asking !!
If you have these files, where and how you run them? what kind of device or setup you might use?
I'm just learning, if you can help please go ahead.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's recap. You don't run a MIB file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 2:53 AM PST
http://sourceforge.net/projects/snmpb/

"SnmpB can browse/edit/load/add MIB files and can query SNMP agents. It also supports agent discovery, trap events, and graph plotting."

So there it is, no where do you "run" a MIB file.

-> All these posts and you never reveal what lead you to look at MIB files. I wonder if you find a GAME SAVE FILE with the .MIB extension and was looking to play the game?
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?