Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Where can I learn how to read source code?

I have a microsoft windws computer, and I am trying to find out how to read source code. I've tried surfing the web, but all the sites I've found assume that anyone who knows what source code is knows how to read it. Could someone please point me in the right direction: where can I fnd out how to read source code?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where can I learn how to read source code?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where can I learn how to read source code?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: source code

In reply to: Where can I learn how to read source code?

Any introductory book on a programming language will enable you to read a program written in that language. So go and find the public library or the bookshop and start learning.
It's not really different from learning to read French or Swahili or Spanish or Russian.

Let me give one example of a program. You'll get the idea.

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

This is a full and complete program in a programming language called GWBASIC. All it does (when run) is to put HELLO WORLD on the screen (that's what PRINT does in this language).

The same program in well formed html:
<html><body>hello world</body></html>
and in not so well formed html (a real life example from http://www.bita.nl, and it's the full contents of their site, to be exact)
hello world

Note there are many different programming languages. You don't tell which one you are interested in, and why. If you tell more on what purpose you want to reach, we might be able to give a few more hints.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Source code

In reply to: Re: source code

Thanks for answering.

I'm actually trying to find out how I can view the source code of a website. I'm also trying to learn how to read a simple computer language like Python, but at the moment all I really need to do is find out how to view the source code of a website.

Collapse -
Just found out

In reply to: Re:Re:Source code

Just found out how to view the source code, so that's my problem solved. Thanks again for answering..

Collapse -
Minor clarification...

In reply to: Just found out

You can view the source of a web page, yes. However, this isn't necessarily the code that was used to generate the page, merely the result. There is a bit of a difference here which I'm not sure you understand.

For example if a web server had a page that contained the following ASP code:

<% Response.write("Hello World!") %>

Your page would simply contain the string, "Hello World!" as the other parts processed the command and not the rest of it.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
for the basics

In reply to: Re:Re:Source code

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.