HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where can i get a legit copy of windows xp Pro cheap?

by mementh / January 23, 2008 6:36 PM PST

Basicaly thats the question.. I plan on building a new computer but i need a copy of windows XP and I know there should be upgrade versions i can use since i have older copies of 2k and 95.
but where can i find legit ones?

I don't want to pay $140 for xp on newegg, are there other sites that sell cheaper? (and are legit)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where can i get a legit copy of windows xp Pro cheap?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where can i get a legit copy of windows xp Pro cheap?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope
by Jimmy Greystone / January 23, 2008 7:07 PM PST

Nope, Microsoft tends to set a price floor on what you can sell XP for, so the prices will be pretty universal no matter where you go. If you do find a copy for significantly less, it's unlikely to be legal.

Collapse -
what about upgrading?
by mementh / January 23, 2008 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Nope

there should be upgrade disks.. and they should work.. but where can i get one

Collapse -
Re: XP upgrade
by Kees Bakker / January 23, 2008 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: what about upgrading?
Collapse -
You can purchase an OEM version ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2008 9:18 AM PST

of XP Pro with SP2 for $112.00 from this link -
http://www.bmem.net/miwixpsp2pro.html

It is legal and comes with the CoA but you should understand that unlike retail versions an OEM version license is tied to the computer it was installed on and any support comes through the people you buy it from.

An OEM version also does not allow "upgrades" to earlier versions.

Collapse -
why is oem oem?
by mementh / January 24, 2008 4:57 PM PST

? if a build a computer today and a year form now build a new computer to replace the original and wipe that one clean.. am i within the rules? ( i know its one license so i can't use it on both)

or do i need to carry over some piece of equipment from the original? (nic card? mouse?)

what makes OEM different then non OME?

Collapse -
additional question
by mementh / January 24, 2008 5:05 PM PST
In reply to: why is oem oem?

The computer i bought has a "OEM copy" for ZT computers.. If i plan on making this a gateway or linux machine..

and build a new one.. could I not just install onto the new machine

the disk seems to be a regular install disk that already has the Winxp Key built in (like a corperation would use)
It also uses standard hardwear so i don't there there is anything special that could be looked for.

But as in the first question.. is that legal within the rules or is it a loophole with the hardwear question.

Collapse -
As I understand it
by Steven Haninger / January 25, 2008 9:53 AM PST

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copies of Windows are tied to the motherboard of the machine it was first installed on and you cannot move it from PC to PC as you upgrade unless that motherboard goes with it. Obviously motherboards do go belly up and need to be replaced. Perhaps a real OEM (VAR) builder knows a workaround when this happens to a system they build. Retail version are twice as much money but more portable. Hope I got that mostly right.

Collapse -
thanks
by mementh / January 25, 2008 2:41 PM PST
In reply to: As I understand it

i will wait for a someone with more OEM knowlage cause the reason this computers being redone is because something is messing up the data stack so it could be the CPU or the motherboard as i see it..

Collapse -
Steven explained it pretty well but ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 26, 2008 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

to clarify, if you build a computer you can use an OEM installation. If you sell or retire that computer the OEM OS goes with that computer. If you have to REPLACE the motherboard because of damage but can't get the same motherboard for replacement you can get a different one as long as it is essentially the same computer - if it had a P III processor you cannot change to a socket 775 board with a core 2 duo because that is NOT a repair it is a replacement or upgrade.

From the System Builder License:

Component Upgrades/Replacements and the System Builder End-User License
The motherboard is the component that determines whether or not a new
Windows license is required.
? Motherboard upgrades or replacements, for reasons other than a defect replacement with an identical series motherboard, require a new operating system license.
? If you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical motherboard, a new operating system license is not required.
? If transferring a refurbished PC to a new user, the software license, media, COA and manuals must all be transferred together.
End-User License Agreements
End-user rights and obligations defined by the EULA cover such things as transferability of the software and downgrade rights.
Transfer of License
Once an OEM system builder software program has been installed, it may not be transferred to, or installed on another PC, even if the PC is no longer in use. The end-user license is permanently tied to the original computer system on which it was first installed.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

This link too might be what you are looking for:
http://www.microsoft.com/india/originalsoftware/business/adopt_standards/sam_faqs.aspx
(Fifth question under Licensing)

Collapse -
thanks
by mementh / January 26, 2008 7:30 AM PST

In this issue i think i can squeak by under the motherboard replacement since its not moving classes really... diffrent mobo and cpu yes but same generation (this current mobo could support the new cpu)

thanks Happy

Collapse -
Talk to M$ about this issue
by john3347 / January 25, 2008 2:35 PM PST

You need to contact Micro$oft through their technet website and explain to them that you are removing the OS from the original computer and want to install it on the replacement. I have never done this my self, so I cannot give you full details. Somewhere in most EULA's is a provision to do exactly what you want to do. If it is a provision in the EULA for your specific product, they will give you a new product CD Key for the new installation using the CD that you already have. The new CD key will then be tied to the new motherboard, of course. Call them, or email them through technet, you got nothing to lose.

Collapse -
here is a question addition
by mementh / January 25, 2008 9:29 PM PST

Whats the main difference between XP Pro and XP Media Center

Collapse -
Microsoft's answer about differences
by Steven Haninger / January 25, 2008 10:18 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.