Computer Help forum

General discussion

Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files

by Here4hlp / April 21, 2004 1:52 AM PDT

I am having problems with my Desktop and having managed to get to the hard drive in DOS mode, I am trying to copy some of my data files to another computer.

Where on the system can I find my earlier e-mail files?

I use MSOE 5.5.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files
by jconner / April 21, 2004 6:59 AM PDT

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{96FE7FCD-8BC0-46DE-84F8-0D1E7F5F19B6}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Probably or something similar. Depends on the OS you are running. They will be named inbox.dbx, sent.dbx,outbox.dbx etc..

Collapse -
Re:Re:Oh and about DOS filenames
by jconner / April 21, 2004 7:01 AM PDT

remember you can only use 8 character folder names so use the tilde (~).

Collapse -
Re:Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files...depends
by TONI H / April 21, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

I believe that conner gave you the location in case you are using XP; however, if you have W98, the location will be:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Mail folder

Collapse -
You have received a couple of answers...
by Edward ODaniel / April 21, 2004 10:57 AM PDT

which may or may not be correct depending on how your specific computer is set up regardless of which Windows version.

If you are able to boot to DOS try these commands:

C: (this places you on the C: drive)

CD \ (this places you in the root of the partition)

DIR *.dbx /s /p (That will provide a directory listing of ALL dbx suffix files on the C: partition and all of its subdirectories)

All that is left is to navigate to the proper directory provided and copy all the files to other media.

Collapse -
Re:Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files
by Here4hlp / April 21, 2004 5:32 PM PDT

Thanks to all of you.

I am sure tconner's would have given the appropriate reply had I mentioned the OS in use just as TONI H did. Sorry for omitting the OS in use.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Where Can I Find My E-Mail Files
by jconner / April 21, 2004 11:59 PM PDT

Don't forget your address book - *.WAB

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?