HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Where can I find CRT TVs?

by twilight_venom-21319849265944750704290252728062 / March 31, 2010 4:10 PM PDT

I own a Wii, the only current-gen console that isn't HD-capable, which means it looks terrible on my 32" 720p LCD TV. I also plan on buying an original SNES or SNES/NES clone in the near future, but that too would look terrible on my LCD TV, and the NES Zapper apparently only works with CRT TVs.

It's for those reasons that I'd like to buy a new CRT TV, but I don't know where to get one, so I was hoping some of you could help me out with this problem. Any recommendations?

P.S. It has to be available in Canada one way or another.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where can I find CRT TVs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where can I find CRT TVs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Local swap meet or...
by ahtoi / April 1, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

maybe a surplus stores. I have seen them available. Don't get it on ebay; the freight will kill you, hehe.

Collapse -
Good grief
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2010 5:41 AM PDT

If you are in a major canadian city look in the newsaper classifieds, or adverts in a local weekly shopper or grocery store. People are still unloading their not so old CRTs for HDTVs. If you rent an apartment ask the property manager if they know of anyone trying to unload a CRT.

Collapse -
Where can I find *NEW* CRT TVs?
by twilight_venom-21319849265944750704290252728062 / April 1, 2010 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Good grief

I neglected to mention that I'm looking for a CRT TV in brand new or mint condition. The following is a stub on Wikipedia about the resurgence of CRT TVs.

"Resurgence in specialized markets

In the first quarter of 2008, CRTs retook the #2 technology position in North America from plasma, due to the decline and consolidation of plasma display manufacturers. DisplaySearch has reported that although in the 4Q of 2007 LCDs surpassed CRTs in worldwide sales, CRTs then outsold LCDs in the 1Q of 2008.[36][37]

CRTs can be useful for displaying photos with high pixels per unit area and correct color balance. LCDs, as currently the most common flatscreen technology, have generally inferior color rendition (despite having greater overall brightness) due to the fluorescent lights commonly used as a backlight.[38]

CRTs are still popular in the printing and broadcasting industries as well as in the professional video, photography, and graphics fields due to their greater color fidelity, contrast and better viewing from off-axis (wider viewing angle). CRTs also still find adherents in video gaming because of their higher resolution per initial cost, fast response time, and multiple native resolutions.[39]"

The article doesn't mention the companies that are still selling CRT TVs, so if you know anything, please let me know.

Collapse -
OT Limits of viewing digital photos on CRT
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

Wow, it has been awhile since I've discussed that one ;). You do realize that 'resurgence' in sales was over two years ago(?)

Keep in mind the typical resolution of a digital photo from a very basic point and shoot is in the neighborhood of 4 megapixels, which exceeds the native resolution of any CRT by a longshot. Bottom line? Use a device which better matches the native resolution of the digital photos, e.g. a LCD (which can really be tweaked superbly for this, btw). Viewing some of my photoshopped work on a plasma HDTV is even better IME, once you get the colors correct ;).

Collapse -
Mint condition
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2010 12:35 PM PDT

If you want new try froogle.com for sellers that ship to or sell in Canada. Also try a warehouse type store (like Costco) up there to see if they have any stragglers to sell.

To be honest, if you don't want to pay through the nose for a new 36" Sony Trinitron (~$500-700 US), I'd shoot for a private seller wanting to unload a relatively new CRT. More bang for the buck, basically.

Collapse -
Try FREECYCLE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2010 5:54 AM PDT

I see CRT TVs gifted away weekly it seems on FREECYCLE.

Google FREECYCLE and see if you have one local.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.