Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where can I download Winsock Files?

by leojbramble / December 11, 2003 7:28 AM PST

My girlfriend and I have been going through a nightmare with her Win98 laptop ever since I deleted some spyware programs a few days ago. Basically, we can still connect to the Internet, but can't view any webpages, and she can't download any email from Earthlink. Earthlink tech support's been no help. After much trial and error, it seems that at least part of the problem is that her winsock files have vanished. According to the Win98 troubleshooter there are 8 files (if memory serves) that she should be able to update from some directory or another on her hard drive (winsock.dll, winsock32.dll...), but they're not there. And they don't seem to be on the Win98 2nd Edition CD (is that possible?). Anyway, does anyone know where I can go to download all the relevant files? I've been Googling and have had no luck so far...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where can I download Winsock Files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where can I download Winsock Files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try the LSPFIX?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2003 7:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Where can I download Winsock Files?
by Kees Bakker / December 11, 2003 4:32 PM PST

If the LSPFIX doesn't help, try uninstalling TCP/IP from Control Panel/Network, and reinstalling it again. This should get all the missing files.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Where can I download Winsock Files?
by leojbramble / March 30, 2004 10:55 PM PST

Oh geez, forgot I had even posted this question here. Thanks so much for the replies.

It turns out we were on the phone with Microsoft forever, and finally got web pages to view again, only to find that we started getting the "page not found" error again a few weeks later, though we'd changed NOTHING on her system except downloading the spyware they'd recommended.

Again, we were on the phone endlessly with MS, uninstalling and re-installing TCP/IP and the winsocks, and still no luck. Finally, the tech said the only thing left to try is uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 98, so we'll have to try that when we're up to it...

Collapse -
Looks like a LSP problem to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2004 12:19 AM PST

LSP or "Layered Service Provider" is written up at the web site you find with GOOGLE and the word LSPFIX.

In short the MALWARE installs it's own tcpip layer to do the redirects and ads. Since it does this via a registry setting and a few additional files, NO removal or reinstalling of TCPIP will fix it.

That's why we use LSPFIX.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Where can I download Winsock Files?
by Master Green / June 13, 2004 8:56 PM PDT

Hi,
I work on alot of computers removing spyware, etc, etc and the same problem happened to me twice. Certain programs can download them selves to Winsock. Go to the following article from Microsoft and follow the instructions on page 3 under "How to recover from Winsock2 Corruption. Go to www.microsoft.com and type in on the upper right side 811259. The title to this page should read "How to determine and recover from Winsock2 Corruption"...For it not to have been corrected before when you spoke to Micorsoft, then my guess is the TCP/IP protocol was not re-installed right after the Winsock removal as you will see in the directions I highly suggest you follow. Keep us posted.

Collapse -
Re: Where can I download Winsock Files?
by robertjsandor / July 24, 2004 3:00 PM PDT

Here is the info I used to recover from an accidentally deleted Winsock 32dll. It is from a Windows help page.

Tips & Tricks
Checking your system files for problems
System files are the hardest working files in your computer: they literally "drive" the computer and house the "drivers" for your mouse, printer, and monitor, among others. Every application you install has its own set of system files, so when an application stops working or won't open, there is a strong possibility that something could be wrong with its system files. These files reside in the C:\windows\system directory and usually have extensions such as .386, .COM, .DLL, .DRV, and .VXD, among others.

The Windows 98 System File Checker scans all the system files searching for any that may have been modified or corrupted by a recently installed program. If it finds a problem file, it prompts you to restore the original file from the manufacturer's install disk. If you ignore the prompt, you'll be asked about it again the next time you run System File Checker.

To run System File Checker:

Click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then point to Select System Tools.
Click System Information.
On the menu bar, click Tools.
Click System File Checker.
Choose either Scan for altered files or Extract one file from installation disk.
If you choose to scan for altered files, Windows 98 will prompt you if it finds any corrupt or modified files. Follow the instructions on screen. However, if you know the file name, you can extract the file yourself.

Here's how to do it:

Select Extract one file from installation disk.
Either type the file name or click the Browse button to find the file.
When a file name is entered, click Start
In the Extract File dialog box, type the path from where the file will be restored, or click Browse to find the folder that contains the file. If Windows does not recognize the file you wish to back up, you may have to manually enter the path in Save file in to where the restored file should go, or click Browse to locate the folder where it should go.

Click OK.
Note: You may not see the file you need on your install disks because it may have to be "extracted" from a compressed file.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.