Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where can I download windows 98 upgrade edition for free?

by bri17213 / April 27, 2006 3:41 PM PDT

I have Window 98 and have a Window 98SE edition CD but when I try to install, it say I have to use Window 98 upgrade.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where can I download windows 98 upgrade edition for free?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where can I download windows 98 upgrade edition for free?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: download Windows 98
by Kees Bakker / April 27, 2006 5:49 PM PDT

You can't. It ain't free.

But what you can do: rename win.com in the windows folder to (say) win.old and use the CD you have. Worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
Very easy,reformat and install W98 SE
by unbent55 / June 23, 2006 7:54 AM PDT

Thats like having Windows XP and instead of using a Windows XP Professional upgrade disc you try to install a full retail version over XP.You want W98SE format and install SE. Help here is not so good here..

Collapse -
SAME OLD STORY......................
by Scrotes4Life / June 24, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

Your installation CD is worn out.
There is no such thing as a Windows 98 Upgrade anyway. An Upgrade is something that makes your system and programs better.
Microsoft stopped supporting W98 this month. Didn't they?
Dump Windows 98 - make a fresh start.

Collapse -
That's if you are RICH enough to do that
by skycatcher / June 25, 2006 7:52 PM PDT

So many people out there are just saying 'Dump 98 and Upgrade to XP'. Well I'm so glad that you are rich enough to do that. I can't afford a PC capable of running XP let alone buy XP and all the other software to go with it.

98se will still be running in years to come. If you are running Anti Virus and a Spy Zapper and a Firewall and possibly a Spam Killer then 98se will still serve you well. I am running a P1, 166Mhz with 64 Meg memory on 8 Meg broadband and it works perfectly. I could use a better video card but apart from that it's fine and it boots up faster than most XP machines.

If you still run 98se don't forget to use the Unofficial 98se SP2 it's brilliant.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Unofficial-Windows--SE-Service-Pack--Final-Download-9065.html

Collapse -
If all advice you have to offer on Windows 98 ...
by Kees Bakker / June 26, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

is to stop using it and switch to another OS (like XP, Vista or Linux) you might better visit other forums than this one, that's dedicated to supporting Windows 98 users.

Kees

Collapse -
MY ADVICE ABOUT WINDOWS 98 IS..............................
by Scrotes4Life / June 26, 2006 2:05 PM PDT

I apologize for that. Seriously. At work today I realized that the W98 forum is for those who are looking for help, not opinions.
I have a lot of experience with W98.
From now on, if I can help somebody with a W98 problem, I will most certainly offer unopinionated assistance.
I have a feeling yours will not be last feedback I receive like that.

Collapse -
Thanks. Now please turn off caps lock in subject line.
by Kees Bakker / June 26, 2006 7:15 PM PDT

And you'll become a much appreciated member.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.