Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Where are the temp files in Win 7?

by paulpingpong / July 31, 2010 6:49 PM PDT

With Win XP I can go to the temporary internet folder and find the latest file I recently OPENed from email.
I can just copy it and save it some where else for later use without going back and SAVE it from the email again. This saves download time, especially for large files.
With the Win 7 of my new laptop, I just cannot find it. Where is it now?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are the temp files in Win 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are the temp files in Win 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
%Temp%
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 9:03 PM PDT

If you use the Search box in the Start bubble, type in %Temp% and that should find the Temp folder.

But I don't do that. If you are talking about email attachments I never open them directly from the email as I can't be sure they are virus free. Instead I right click the attachment, select "Save as", then save it to some convenient temporary location, (I use my Desktop). I then right click that file and scan it with my anti-virus. Only then do I open it if it comes up clean. That way I have a clean file already saved.

Mark

Collapse -
Disagree
by make_or_break / August 1, 2010 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: %Temp%

Temporary Internet Files is one of those folders that Microsoft won't let you see through normal channels, even when you change setting for Windows to allow you to see hidden files and folders.

This started back in XP, with one of the service pack updates (I think). After that update, Windows File Explorer would no longer 'see' or 'find' the TempIntFiles folder. I ended up using a 3rd-party file browser to circumvent the File Explorer 'blind eye'. I didn't use Vista long enough to look if it was the same there, but I suspect it was. After upgrading to Win7 from Vista File Explorer too behaves in much the same way as my later XP builds do; in other words, I can't use File Explorer to show the TempIntFiles folder. My XP SP3 box sitting next to this Win7 desktop is exactly like this, where I use a 3rd-party file browser (Gyula) to see what's in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

HOWEVER, there IS a workaround that doesn't require a 3rd-party app. In Win7 (and likely XP and Vista as well) if you start up IE8, you can select Tools/Internet Options. A new window will open showing you the various IE settings. Go to the General tab and then go to the Browsing History section and select Settings. A new window titled Temporary Internet Files and History Settings will open up. From here click on the View Files button and a Explorer window will open up WITHIN Temporary Internet Files folder. But if you back up out of there, you WON'T see the TempIntFiles folder again. Sneaky MSFT...

Collapse -
I see all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: %Temp%

I use two methods to look around at all files and folders save one I need to test.

1. Boot up Ubuntu off a Live CD. No install, and no linux skills required. Just clicky clicky on the drive, folders and there it is.

2. Go get Gyula's Navigator. No funny business like explorer and you see it all.

What I haven't tested for is how to check files for ALTERNATE DATA STREAMS. Noted at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/105763 ADS is still here and a minor concern or a major one for some.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.