Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Where are the records?

Bush's Military Past

At issue is whether Bush was, technically at least, a deserter in his fourth year of National Guard service, when he requested a transfer to Guard duties in Alabama so he could assist a Republican senatorial campaign there.

Bush asserts that he turned up and did his duty. However, no one on the base remembers seeing him, including the commanding officer and several other officers who say they were actively looking to network with the hot-shot Texan with the influential father--but waited in vain.

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040816&s=williams

More details here.

http://www.awolbush.com/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are the records?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are the records?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something about the records has always puzzled me ...

In reply to: Where are the records?

I've read in several places, including your link, a statement that Lt Bush specified he should not be sent to Vietnam as part of his paperwork for the Guard.

What's that about?

I would have thought that when somebody signed up for the Guard he/she went wherever they sent him. Certainly that appears to be the case these days. Can anybody shed any light on this situation?

Collapse -
Re: Something about the records has always puzzled me ...

Hi, Dr. Bill.

As I understand it (purely from reading earlier news reports), at the time there was a box on the form saying that one did/did not request overseas assignment (which at the time essentially meant Vietnam) and Bush checked that he did not. I believe that if you checked that you did, you'd be transferred to a unit scheduled to go overseas, but that doesn't mean that checking "no" made you immune from such an assignment. The key point here is that box contradicts Bush's claim that he requested Vietnam service but the request wasn;t honored.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: Something about the records has always puzzled me ...

In reply to: Re: Something about the records has always puzzled me ...

I don't recall any speeches made by Bush or any articles about him stating that he actually requested VietNam and not had that request honored. He was just in an interview yesterday (can't recall who did the interview but it was aired on CNN since that's what I had on all day long so it's the only station I would have seen it on), and he specifically said that "Kerry served in VietNam....I wasn't told to go or I would have".

There were lots of military during the VietNam war/conflict who were never assigned there, but that doesn't make their time of service any less important...just luckier than most. I personally knew of three of my classmates who were assigned to Germany but over half of my classmates who were drafted or signed up went to Nam (eight came home in bodybags and sixteen or so were wounded, some severely and lost limbs). My own husband signed up for the Navy and never got to VietNam but was on the Enterprise when it went to Korea over the Pueblo incident. He was on that ship when that horrendous fire broke out and had just left the bunk area below deck when the entire area blew up. They use that film for fire fighting training now (Derek just went through that training and they are still using it according to him to show everybody what NOT to do).

I'm just saying that just because Bush never went doesn't mean that he wouldn't have, and he readily admits to never having been there. I feel pity for Kerry that he's attempted to make such a personal big deal out of his own Nam military experience in order to complete his own agenda that he's had for a very long time just to have his own history, words, and actions come back to haunt him....but I didn't like the man as a Presidential candidate long before I knew more about his military history. I didn't like him because of his POLITICAL history, but when you don't have much to brag about, you grasp at anything, I guess.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) on the shelf marked 33, 45 and 78 rpm?

Collapse -
Interesting point

officers who say they were actively looking to network with the hot-shot Texan with the influential father

So the ones who don't remember him are saying they remember because they wanted to use him to reach his father to try to gain influence? influence for what I wonder?

Interesting though that the ones that say they never saw him remember it because they didn't get to use him and his family for a personal agenda.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
Re: Where are the records?

So he had a rather unremarkable National Guard career and made himself difficult to find by people wanting to "network." Not to mention that he was often exempt from his commitment and was occupied elsewhere with business/politics, just like many others from similar outfits had exemptions.
But of course, fulfilling the necessary requirements and nothing more is nothing compared to being a "war hero" who has numerous witnesses saying he lied and betrayed his brothers in arms and country by speaking out against them.
Oh, and who tried to run on their Vietnam service?

Collapse -
Where are Kerry's records? Last I heard he has refused

to release them. Bush has released his. Why doesn't Kerry?

The DNC wants to shift the focus back to Bush?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.