Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Where are the "Human Rights" organizations...

by EdH / April 1, 2007 10:14 PM PDT

re: The British hostages in Iran? Haven't heard a peep.

Iran is violating the Geneva Conventions and as far as I know, no outside organization has been allowed to visit the captives. Where's the outrage?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are the "Human Rights" organizations...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are the "Human Rights" organizations...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Haven't heard a peep.
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

What's to hear?

Iran doesn't believe in human rights.

It's difficult to carry on discussions with a country that doesn't want to talk.

Bombing people, to bring them to the "human rights" table, doesn't seem right/practical.

Do you have any suggestions on how to rescue the hostages?

Do you have any suggestions on how to bring Human Rights to Iran?

Collapse -
Shouldn't AI, and the rest...
by EdH / April 2, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Haven't heard a peep.

at least be condemning this? Putting more pressure on Iran? It seems very hypocritical of them to criticize the US and the West endlessly and not say a word about Iran.

Make me wonder if they are on the side of the terrorists.

Why is no one insisting that the Red Cross visit the hostages? They demanded this very loudly in the case of Gitmo. Next time they complain about the US bear in mind that they seem to be taking sides rather than really supporting human rights. Where's their credibility?

Do you have any suggestions on how to rescue the hostages?

Do you have any suggestions on how to bring Human Rights to Iran?

International public opinion could help. What's right is right. Are these groups doing what's right?

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

Iran's actions were condemned, They don't care. (for now)

Criticism only works if the person/country being criticized cares. They don't. (for now)

Red Cross asked, they were told NO. End of that discussion.

I seem to recall the prisoners in Gitmo weren't seen by the Red Cross under the conditions the Red Cross wanted.

Human Rights groups can't physically "do anything", except report the facts and do what the parties permit.

The nations of the world will have to work together to make Iran "see the light"

Collapse -
(NT) rather see iran see the cloud
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
then
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

you could pick through the body parts and rescue the British troops.

Collapse -
duh no body
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: then

parts be left and few die so many live better the "iaranins than us

unless you feel you can go rescues them bye bye call us when your back

ps dont loose your head over it Happy

Collapse -
that's my point
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: duh no body

what if the few that die are the Brits that you are rescuing?

Collapse -
but iran wont do that again
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: that's my point

nor any other "muslum" country would make these country's who support terror think twice wouldnt it?

again few brits die for the the majority of those people whom support the bad people

Collapse -
You really believe that?
by Terry Browne / April 2, 2007 1:19 PM PDT

Wasn't Reagan very tough? Isn't GW showing the world who rules and who's in charge? Has it helped? That's all I am asking, has it helped?

Collapse -
regans dead but he did bring russia down
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 1:29 PM PDT

and the iranains did cave in and ?
if regan was in now iran would glow

and yes it has helped less of the fantical muslums alive

Collapse -
Despite that...
by Terry Browne / April 2, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

Iran didn't think twice. And won't do it ever.

Collapse -
and thats because they got lucky
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Despite that...

but ther luck might just go up in smoke

Collapse -
(NT) This sub-thread is closed.
by Angeline Booher / April 3, 2007 12:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Response
by EdH / April 2, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
Iran's actions were condemned, by whom? Amnesty International? I don't think so. They don't care. (for now) I doubt that's true, but even if it is, so what? Just walk away and make no protest? Ha!

Red Cross asked, they were told NO. End of that discussion. When? I didn't hear that. But that is NO reason to say "end of discussion". It needs to be condemned loudly, if true.

I seem to recall the prisoners in Gitmo weren't seen by the Red Cross under the conditions the Red Cross wanted. Yet, they were allowed to see them., And they complained about that too. Why don't they complain about this?

The reason is that they are hypocrites. It's indefensible.
Collapse -
Keep in mind as well...
by EdH / April 2, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

the government in Iran is not all that popular. There are many who oppose their policies, and I've heard it said that one of the reasons they may have done this is to stir up patriotic fervor and strengthen their support.

Also, the people who did tis are apparently just one faction of many amongst the "rulers". ANY and all condemnation and pointing out that they are violating International Law can only help to bolster the case of the opponents of the Revolutionary Guards.

Collapse -
Is this the jurisdiction of human rights groups?
by grimgraphix / April 2, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

It may be, for all I know, part of Amnesty International's very mission statement to look after military personnel being held by a foreign government.... but the crux of the issue is... is this part of their mission?

I had thought that groups like A.I. were specifically targeted with publicly outing governments who held civilians or civilians who were not formally part of another countries military and/or intelligence services.

I take it from your statements so far that you Ed, believe that military or not, A.I. should be protesting?

Collapse -
Their mission...
by EdH / April 2, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

is not specific to civilians.

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/aboutai-index-eng

I believe they have addressed the rights of soldiers of various kinds before. And when referring of Gitmo, these groups often cite the Geneva Conventions which are being violated here as well.

They should be doing the RIGHT THING. But, of course, they are NOT.

Wonder why?

Collapse -
Well, if their mission covers official military prisoners...
by grimgraphix / April 2, 2007 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Their mission...

... then they should step up and speak out. Get together a petition and I will gladly sign it.

However, if that is what we demand of them now... then we should not complain later, when they turn their lens back on us.

Collapse -
No fear of them doing the right thing any time soon...
by EdH / April 2, 2007 6:14 AM PDT

And we should complain about them any time we see fit, regardless of what they do in any one case. They don't get off the hook that easily.

Collapse -
No sympathy (on your part)
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 6:21 AM PDT

for people held for 5 years with no trial and AI complaining, and NOW you're complaining about AI NOT complaining?

Collapse -
Sympathy for terrorists...
by EdH / April 2, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

who are being coddled? No thanks.

I'll leave that to you.

Collapse -
(NT) terriosts have no rights
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2007 3:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) ai is so biased its a joke
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: ai is biased
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

and edH wants them to stand up for human rights?

Are you both on the same side?

Collapse -
So, are you saying...
by EdH / April 2, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: ai is biased

that they can't stand up for Human Rights? Hmmm.

I think their philosophy is, "some humans have more rights than others."

Collapse -
your right ed
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2007 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: So, are you saying...

especially if there not american, israli

Collapse -
I'm saying
by JP Bill / April 2, 2007 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: So, are you saying...

YOU think some humans have more rights than others.

You're against people being oppressed by dictators, yet you have no problem with people being jailed, not being tried, not having a fair hearing.

kinda' like what a dictator does.

Collapse -
Complete BS
by EdH / April 2, 2007 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm saying

The captives at Gitmo will be tried and their rights are being respected. Your attempt to paint me as a non-respecter of human rights is false and offensive...

You are defending the indefensible. Why?

Collapse -
defending the indefensible
by JP Bill / April 3, 2007 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Complete BS

Musta' caught it from you.

The captives at Gitmo will be tried and their rights are being respected.

5 years later?

I don't want to offend you any more, so I'll leave you to talk to yourself.

Collapse -
Poor babies!
by EdH / April 3, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Complete BS

A five year Caribbean vacation is what it is.

You have not managed to justify your defense of the indefensible. Wonder why you do it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?