Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Where are the bad sectors ?

by christy / July 9, 2004 10:14 AM PDT

I ran scandisk to check for bad sectors. None found. Good, I thought. Then my computer with Win Me ran slower than normal - e.g. some folders opened slower, took about two to three seconds. I ran scandisk again to check disk surface, and it found some 16,000 bad sectors on my sole 20G HD. My question: How do I find out where the bad sectors are, i.e. which folders and files are affected, without opening each file to see whether it can be accessed ? TIA,

christy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are the bad sectors ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are the bad sectors ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Where are the bad sectors ? On the hard drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 1:19 PM PDT

A 20 GB drive may be years old and at least with my neighbor's screensaver which is titled "Disk Defragmenting" they tend to chew up a drive every other year.

It's your data. You may be revealing that you are not ready for the drive to die since I get to ask this question.

Where's the backup of files you can't lose.

Let me close by telling you that hard disks give "signs" they are on the verge of failure. You've been given the sign and it's always interesting to see what happens next.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Where are the bad sectors ? On the hard drive.
by christy / July 9, 2004 2:05 PM PDT

The HD is three years old. I knew something was amiss- that was way I checked for bad sectors. My files were backed up regularly and weekly unto ffordable CDs. Three copies each of two generations, in fact. One I keep in the Office, the 2nd at home, the third is kept in a Bank's safe deposit box. The back ups were tested and they worked. What is interesting now is to try to find out which files are affected. Maybe that is not relevant ? The HD is still working and will fail full scale anytime. In the meantime, I would like to replace the affected files at the HD while waiting for the replacement to arrive.
Thanks for your interest !

christy

Collapse -
Finding bad files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 10:35 PM PDT

What may upset some is that there is no OS function to find such and no commercial software that does this that is wide use.

There are ways to track file CHECKSUMS and maintain a database of such files and checksums in a system, but today no one seems to want to pay for such software in either time or money it would take. Just so you know that such software exists, let me share a link.

http://www.secinf.net/intrusion_detection/Intrusion_Detection_FAQ/Intrusion_Detection_FAQ__What_is_the_role_of_a_file_integrity_checker_like_Tripwire_in_intrusion_detection.html

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Finding bad files.
by christy / July 10, 2004 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Finding bad files.

Bob, thank you for the link. Tracking files for changes seem to take too much time and effort, even though if there is no problem with money. No wonder there seems that no one is using such software.

christy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?