General discussion

Where are my e-mails hidden?

I have a dead HP laptop, but the hard drive is fine. It came OE with Vista, but I upgraded it 6 months ago to W7. I just bought a MacBook Pro, and a hard drive enclosure. I downloaded Thunderbird to an older XP PC and found the Vista e-mails on my HP HD, but I can't find any e-mails for the last 6 months( since I upgraded to W7). I really want to find my most recent e-mails and move them to my Mac! Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Where are my e-mails hidden?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Where are my e-mails hidden?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It's going to be tough.

Since those emails were not backed up and were lost when you upgraded to W7 my verdict is they are gone.

Moving said emails to the Apple might be as simple as copying the Thunderbird files to the folder that the Apple Thunderbird version uses (is there such an app?) If not you have to install Windows on the Apple, install Tbird and then move those files over.
Bob

- Collapse -

Just a clarification -- I did not lose any of the Vista e-mails when I upgraded to W7 -- those I have and have already copied them to the Apple from the Thunderbird files. It is the location of the most recent Windows 7 e-mails that I can't seem to find anywhere -- the emails that I got AFTER the W7 upgrade.

- Collapse -
Try.
- Collapse -

Another clarification. The e-mails I'm looking for on the old HP HD were not stored there by Thunderbird, but rather by Outlook Express for Vista, and later by Windows Live Mail for Windows 7. I downloaded Thunderbird only for the purpose of converting those files into files readable by Apple Mail. The problem is that I can't find all of the the e-mails.

- Collapse -
Then none of the above applies.

Sorry but I leave you here. Try a google about recovery of Outlook Express emails. Be sure that you have the old Windows machines to attempt this on.

Also, if you use GMAIL then your emails are still on the gmail server.
Bob

- Collapse -
Vista did NOT use OE unless you jumped through hoops and ...

ran it in a virtual machine with XP, it came with Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail came with Windows 7.

Standard locations are :
Windows Mail: C:\Users\?[username]/?AppData/?Local/?Microsoft/?Windows Mail

Windows Live Mail: C:\Users\?[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\

Outlook Express: C:\Documents and Settings\?[username]\?Local Settings\?Application Data\?Identities\?{[identity ID]}\?Microsoft\?Outlook Express or
C:\?Windows\?Application Data\?Outlook Express\?{[identity ID]}

After finding them copy all files in the folder(s) to other media then make use of Thunderbird to IMPORT them.

- Collapse -
Great Point!

OE seems to be so loved that you find folk performing tricks and acts worthy of the big top (flaming rings and all!)

CNET Forums

Forum Info