Samsung forum

General discussion

Where are all the Samsung DLP HDTVs?

by stratplaya / April 1, 2009 10:24 PM PDT

I'm just now starting to shop for an HDTV. I was leaning towards a DLP as they seem to be the best value for an HDTV, bigger screen sizes and lower costs when compared to an LCD or plasma of the same size.

I used to see them all the time at Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, Newegg.com ,etc. But now they don't seem to be available as they had been in the past. I run into the Mitsubishi DLP models most of the time which I don't think match the quality of the Samsung models.

Is Samsung lowering the supply of their DLP TVs?

SP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are all the Samsung DLP HDTVs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are all the Samsung DLP HDTVs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This will be interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2009 10:29 PM PDT

What I'm noticing is that the consumer has grown very demanding that lines be straight and the opticals be perfect without any regard to the technology or design limits. RPTV was always a compromise as well as DLP for these areas. Maybe the consumer has spoken and killed these product lines?
Bob

Collapse -
Where are all the Samsung DLP HDTVs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 2, 2009 8:18 AM PDT

stratplaya,

Samsung is phasing out the DLP lines. We will have stopped producing them in the first half of this year, and will be concentrating on the other technologies - plasma and LCD - moving forward.

That said, we wil continue to support our line of DLPs for service and warranty issues. Customer's under warranty will be taken care of, so if you decide to go that route, we will still support the product.

Thanks for your inquiry.

--HDTech

Collapse -
WHAT?!
by SandFarmer / April 4, 2009 2:53 AM PDT

Where did you heard this? With the release of the new LED models and Mitsubishi's LaserVue, Samsung has reported that the DLP line was alive and well. So far Samsung is the leader in residential DLP.

Collapse -
WHAT?!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 6, 2009 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: WHAT?!

SandFarmer,

I'm unsure if production has stopped completely, but it's winding down this year.

LED DLP will be going away, as well the traditional lamp based projector. We didn't highlight or introduce any new models at the CES Show in January 2009.

We will, however, continue to provide support for DLP owners, including parts and service. That doesn't go away just because we stop making the units.

The new line of 2009 Samsung LED Televisions will be a huge focus this year, and have taken center stage.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Do not buy a Samsung DLP
by rhood55 / April 17, 2009 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: WHAT?!

Whatever you do, do not buy a Samsung DLP. I have a 42 in. DLP that I bought on Cyber Monday in 2006. White dots began to appear last month and have been multiplying since then. I googled "white dots on a Samsung DLP" and found many threads of people with the same problem. Most stated that the dots began to appear around the 2 year mark. And, the general consensus is that Samsung refuses to admit that it is a widespread issue. I am doing a remodel and will be purchasing a new washer, dryer, dishwasher, microwave, oven and fridge. Oh, and of course, a new TV. None will be Samsung.

Collapse -
That's not what I was told . . . .
by SandFarmer / April 17, 2009 2:07 PM PDT

When I called Samsung in September prior to purchasing a DLP, to find out where the 50" LED version that mysteriously disappeared . . . went, they had no clue, which I am finding is pretty much across the board. I was told that although they could not give me any info about the set I was looking for, that the Samsung DLP line was alive, well and will be available for a long time to come. Guess I was lied to to make a sale. Well they made their sale and I am glad to hear they will be there to support it, because my 7 month old 50" DLP is crapping out. Thank God, by the time I got done bartering I walked with a 4 year warranty. It looks like I'm gonna need it, or the person I sell this to to finance my new Mitsu LaserVue.

Have you seen the new Mitsubishi LaserVue's and their new line of sets? Lookin' really good.

Collapse -
DO NOT BUY Samsung
by hotchip41 / April 28, 2009 9:16 AM PDT

My two years old DLP has white dots all over too, and there are hundreds of people experiencing this known issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.