Speakeasy forum

General discussion

where

by Nova-Ghost / November 29, 2009 12:38 AM PST

Where is there a rule that says you can't post a topic on both CNET and GameSpot?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
some info here
by oldie and goody / November 29, 2009 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: where
Collapse -
Haven't read all of posts on this but
by TONI H / November 29, 2009 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: some info here

At the very least 1998, I had discovered, even before I was a Moderator, that the SUBJECT TITLE LINE had to be slightly different if you wanted to post the same MESSAGE in various forums or the second one (and subsequent ones) would be rejected by the software. There were MANY changes to the software since 1995-1996 when I became a member/Moderator and if I remember correctly, no matter what software was being tested, considered, or finally used, ALL of them had that 'modification'.

I think it came in much more strongly when the 'flooding' issue got to the point that hundreds of posts could be done at one time in order for some real bad people to bring down a forum they were upset with. I haven't seen flooding going on since 2000, which is a good thing so evidently the writers/programmers finally got it down pat.

TONI H

Collapse -
Aha! I found it
by oldie and goody / November 29, 2009 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: where

Posting advertisements
This is a forum of ideas, so advertisements are not allowed in this venue. A member may answer another member's question about their occupation or business, however, blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited. This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited. Pyramid schemes --chain letters that involve money-- are not only prohibited by CNET standards, but they're also illegal. It is permissible for members to mention services or products that are provided by them or the companies with which they are affiliated, as long as the information is germane to the topic, is not a blatant advertisement, and the members mention their affiliation with the company in the content of the message.

Collapse -
Yep to all of those.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Aha! I found it

We also don't like spamming, not just spamming these boards, but also where it can be found elsewhere on the internet.

Mark

Collapse -
have you ever read reviews?
by James Denison / November 29, 2009 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yep to all of those.

On products? I do, but also run lines from the reviews in google to see if it's a spam or legit. Anyone putting in a legit review won't post it across 20 different main sites. I wonder how many bother to do that? Most of them you can spot anyway, a bit too slick, a bit too wordy, and way too much like a sales pitch.

Collapse -
O.o
by Nova-Ghost / November 29, 2009 10:05 AM PST

I go to over 300 forums. Granted, I only go to like 8 on a day-to-day basis.

Collapse -
Not really a bother to me just my thoughts
by Steven Haninger / November 29, 2009 6:23 PM PST
In reply to: O.o

You said you go to about 8 forums on a day-to-day basis. I would think it unlikely that those 8 forums have the same readership profiles and general focus. So, posting an (almost) verbatim script on all of them would make no sense to me. Your recent Christmas list post was an example. Let me ask something, however. If you did receive each of those gifts and each from a different person, would you think that writing one "thank you" card and cloning it to all would show any form of sincerity? I believe folks here who take time to read and respond to posts from others are due a bit more respect from those who are really looking for help, support, encouragement suggestions, etc. Copied and pasted text that's distributed among many forums doesn't, IMO, show that.

What I tend to learn when seeing such posts as yours lately is that they are just like the junk mail I get in my physical and cyber mailboxes daily. I ignore them. I don't care what you post. It's your time to waste. Someday you'll find yourself running out of time and wish you had those wasted moments back. Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!