Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

WhenU Enters the Anti-Spyware Market :(

by Donna Buenaventura / October 29, 2004 8:31 PM PDT

Eric Howes, author of IE-SPYAD & AGNIS List and Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites posted in http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11723816~mode=flat that Aluria has partnered with WhenU.

He posted:

"Hi All:

You might have heard about the recent arrangement between Aluria (makers of Spyware Eliminator, a version of which is bundled with AOL 9.0) and WhenU, one of the more well-known distributors of adware. See here for the press release:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/10-27-2004/0002312862&EDATE

Aluria agreed to de-list WhenU from the defintions it uses for Spyware Eliminator. Suzi at Spyware Warrior has blogged about this:

www.netrn.net/spywareblog/

And there's a news story on the same subject here at DSLR/BBR:

It's Adware, Not Spyware!

But I just discovered that the situation is much worse than I originally thought. What we have here is more than a case of a little mutual back scratching with cross-promotion and links. See:

www.whenu.com/whenu_solution.html

From that page:

said by WhenU:
WhenU is committed to protecting consumers' privacy and consumer PCs against dangerous spyware. This is why WhenU has teamed up with Aluria Software, a leading provider of anti-spyware tools, to provide WhenU consumers with UControl.

UControl is the first product in the online advertising industry that provides a comprehensive scan of your computer and removes unwanted spyware programs, while continuing to provide the deals, offers and value consumers have come to expect from WhenU contextual products.
See also:

Anti-Spyware Portal www.whenu.com/take_control.html

Free Scan www.whenu.com/scan_pc.html

In other words, WhenU is now in the anti-spyware business now with Aluria. And a major anti-spyware vendor has now agreed to de-list an adware vendor and start working the same vendor to market its anti-spyware product.

I am stunned and amazed."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WhenU Enters the Anti-Spyware Market :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WhenU Enters the Anti-Spyware Market :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Aluria Software Gone Bad
by Donna Buenaventura / October 29, 2004 9:18 PM PDT

"Due to this development, Aluria is no longer a part of ASAP nor this website, I would like to have any other ASAP list on your own forums removed as well concerning Aluria's involvement. I would also like to suggest blacklisting Aluria from all future corespondance in the Anti-Spyware community and make sure we get the word out that their programs can no longer be trusted." - Tom Coyote

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=20626

Collapse -
Re: WhenU Enters the Anti-Spyware Market :(
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 11:36 PM PDT

This is interesting. It only goes to show that money talks. I'm curious to see how Aluria handles all this negative publicity.

Collapse -
No "word" in their forums or site regarding this issue.
by Donna Buenaventura / October 30, 2004 6:29 PM PDT

All we know now is Aluria is not recommended by A-SAP.org and its members now and many security related forums and sites. SpywareInfo.com and many other sites delisted Alurias' Spyware Eliminator from their respective sites.

Users of AOL Spyware Protection and other sites that is powered by Aluria Software should be aware too that the spyware protection that they are using.. will not flag WhenU any longer as "Adware"

In Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites,we can see the following products and domain is powered by Aluria Software.

See screenshot:

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=422

Collapse -
just a thought
by Melati Hitam / October 30, 2004 11:43 PM PDT

Lets look at it from another site...

What actually bother us, are those adware/spyware that 'breaking' our OS, such as Hijacking the browser or makes unauthorized connection etc. also make our OS unusable/unstable.

So in this case, what is WhenU/Aluria doing??
are they 'still' doing bad thing to our pc? If so, lets avoid the software.

If they just monitoring a hit or tracking where we go on the web... then they just like all other services on the net such as GMAIL, even Hotmail or Yahoo and others, keeping some(if not all) information or our browsing habit.. this is not to mention many other software .. such as microsoft itself (there are some software to prevent it, aren't they?)

What if there are an adware that NOT doing a bad thing.. what they do is just monitoring a hit on their webpage or their ad/banner..?

Have a nice weekend guys....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?