Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

When you do a clean install from XP how do you reload OEM

by bigredmatt / July 1, 2009 7:21 AM PDT

I will be moving from XP to windows 7 and i know that it will take a clean install. My hard drive has the boot built in it (no boot disc). I know how to back up all of my files but how do i get the extra OEM software like the DVD Decoder, and the Roxio software back on the computer after windows 7 is installed without a disk? I dont want to have to pay for the simple software that came with my computer.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
You can't install the software that was preloaded
by Jonmor68 / July 1, 2009 8:14 AM PDT

from the restore disks.
However Windows 7 does have dvd play and record software built in.
You need to determine what software you need that is not included in W7.
Next Google for free programs that will do the job for you if you don't want to pay for it, for instance Open Office is free and can be used instead of MS office.
Often the included software on new computers is shareware or free stuff you can download yourself.
If you must have the programs that are preinstalled, you have a choice to stick to XP, or buy Roxio and any other software that is not free when you get W7.

Collapse -
If your license is stil good for Roxio they should
by orlbuckeye / July 2, 2009 5:46 AM PDT

allow you to download or get a copy of a DVD. The dvd may have a slight cost. Roxio has a web site that lists all the software you've registered with them.

Collapse -
Generally not the case...
by John.Wilkinson / July 2, 2009 9:37 AM PDT

The manufacturer includes an OEM copy/license that is only good for the specific version that was preinstalled, and only on that original operating system. However, there are plenty of free alternatives, and Windows 7 comes with far more multimedia support than Windows XP did.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!