TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

WHEN WILL CNET POST SOME NEW AV RECEIVER REVIEWS?????

by nofieldfive_billy / March 20, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

IT HAS BEEN 4 MONTHS SINCE CNET POSTED SOME NEW AV RECEIVER REVIEWS.
WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? I AM TRYINY TO FIND THE BEST ONE I CAN IN THE $1500 RANGE.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHEN WILL CNET POST SOME NEW AV RECEIVER REVIEWS?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHEN WILL CNET POST SOME NEW AV RECEIVER REVIEWS?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go here. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2008 10:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
CAPS LOCK AND REVIEWS
by nofieldfive_billy / March 21, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Go here. . .

GOOD TO KNOW, but what does the link you provided have to do with the AVR reviews on CNET? Nothing. THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT, NOTHING!!!!!

Collapse -
Sorry. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 21, 2008 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: CAPS LOCK AND REVIEWS

Since you say CNet has no reviews, I provided a link that does. And I'll be very honest. I trust the Sound and Vision reviews ahead of the CNet reviews any day. Your choice.

Collapse -
(NT) This forum is usually more polite.
by NM_Bill / March 21, 2008 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: CAPS LOCK AND REVIEWS
Collapse -
THE TRUTH IS THAT C-NET WAITS TO HAVE THE MANUFACTURERS.....
by Riverledge / March 23, 2008 9:27 AM PDT

SEND THEM THE DEMO MODELS. UNLIKE "CONSUMER REPORTS" which buys it's

own random sample models, at any given time!

C-NET is not the begin and end all of reviewers.

It's sad when people don't know how to access other sites on the INTERNET.

Riv.

Collapse -
WHAT MODEL ARE YOU CONSIDERING?
by Riverledge / March 23, 2008 9:33 AM PDT

riv.

Collapse -
Reciever reviews, SADDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!
by nofieldfive_billy / March 23, 2008 10:31 PM PDT

denon avr-4308ci denon avr-3808ci pioneer vsx-94txh onkyo tx-sr875 onkyo tx-905 sony str da5300es
These are the models I am considering. But what is sad is that I have been to about 9 different websites that review AVR'S and they all like one and hate another one but what is wierd is it is the same receiver. So how could one receiver be so bad by one review and so good by another? like that is the best receiver I have ever heard but the other hates it.

Collapse -
personal preference?
by bevillan / March 24, 2008 2:45 AM PDT

Some reviewers just have different personal tastes so that is why you are seeing the varying degree of reviews for one product. Some people will give a receiver (or any other product) a poor review because the one they tested had something wrong with it or didn't entirely mesh with their other equipment.

Take professional reviews with a grain of salt and be sure to check out actual consumer reviews too. They aren't usually very technical but you can see the percentage of happy people vs unhappy ones.

Collapse -
go with the sony
by THE COMPUTER HEALER / March 24, 2008 3:59 PM PDT

avr reviews are home theater setup variants.i've been installing home theaters for 6 years now. i install 2-3 of those monthly not 1 problem yet, believe me they would've called me. i won this system at ces last year, it was bugged heavy. it wouldnt recognize my lg hd hybrid or my xbox 360, but it handled the apple tv and the ps3 flawlessly. a thief stole it before i could get it back to sony.
so, i brought one anyway (the 6 hdmi inputs) and it plays the lg combo and the xbox 360 fine now(via firmware upgrade).
my only issue with this is some one forgot the usb input.
the denons are overpriced but their UI's are second to none, the onkyos are underfeatured in the sound department (although video upscaling is on par with the denon 4308ci and the sony da5300es)
the pioneer is a good second choice. i like the media streaming.
but its not worth picking ahead of the da5300.
i havent installed those denons or those onkyos.i can only vouch for the pioneer and the sony. i hope this helps.

Collapse -
(NT) UI's? Sorry, I wasn't born in acronym city. don't know
by NM_Bill / March 25, 2008 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: go with the sony
Collapse -
acronyms
by jostenmeat / March 26, 2008 4:15 AM PDT

Bill, I know this isn't the first time you didn't know what an acronym was, but you can google any of them. Or you can try a site like this:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ui

UI = user interface
OSD = On Screen Display
GUI = Graphical User Interface. Some pro's just say "Gooey" for short

Collapse -
A guy of my age is used to & prefers talk in actual words
by NM_Bill / March 26, 2008 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: acronyms

rather than insider shorthand. Yeah, tough for me, huh? Sure the mind runs much faster than can be converted to language & then even moreso to convert it to type, for instance. Too old to be hip? Perhaps.

Toi your credit, I did bookmark your link.

Collapse -
(NT) my bad, its a bad habit
Collapse -
NOFIELD, CHECK OUT ONKYO AND SONY ES, TO START WITH.......
by Riverledge / March 26, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Without knowing what you are planning on doing
by gretzkyv99 / March 28, 2008 12:42 AM PDT

with your home theater its tough to recommend one over the other. The only thing I use reviews for is the information they provide other than that its like judging Ice Skating.....Its all subject to what the reviewers taste are.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.