HP forum

Question

When trying system recovery computer just continuously resta

by jcdavies / September 28, 2014 3:11 PM PDT

I have a HP Omni 120-1135 desktop computer running windows 7

Recently when I tried to turn the computer on it wouldnt boot at all I found the system recovery discs which the store had created for me (i never actually checked these just took there word for it).

I went in to the system options upon starting the computer and tried to boot the computer from the dvd drive with the recovery disc loaded. When I do this the computer boots i get a dos like screen saying windows is loading I then get the windows logo on the screen and then a blue background appears like my desktop but with nothing on it, two windows pop up momenteraly that look like from the DOS days and then the computer restarts. I left the computer for 8 hours and it just did this constantly. I have tried all the other options in the system options which I access upon setup and always with the same result infact with the recovery disc in the dvd drive i dont even need to select anything it will boot get to the desktop screen and then restart.

I dont know what my options are at this point any help would be much apprecited.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When trying system recovery computer just continuously resta
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When trying system recovery computer just continuously resta
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: reboot loop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 4:53 PM PDT

If system recovery from the recovery disks fails, that can have 2 causes:
1. bad disk ---> try another one
2. bad computer --> fix it
So it seems that your best option is to go back to the store with it to have them have a look.

Kees

Collapse -
reboot loop
by jcdavies / September 29, 2014 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: reboot loop

The computer is out of warrenty and we live on a small island off the west coast of canada so not so easy just to take it to the store for them to have a look at it.

any other suggestions Sad

Collapse -
There are other reasons for reboot looping on restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: reboot loop

One of the irksome ones is that some USB thing (printer, etc.) is plugged in. When we restore to a good machine (if it's broke you fix it or have it fixed) then a few machines will not restore when some USB devices are plugged in. Hint? Unplug all but what the machine needs.
Bob

Collapse -
unplugged everything still not working
by jcdavies / September 30, 2014 1:10 PM PDT

so I unplugged everything and did the following still with the same results

1. Hit esc to enter startup menu
2. selected f9 boot menu
3. selecteed the cd/dvd drive nothing happened so selected sata which was below and indented to suggest associated to the cd/dvd drive
4. screen goes black and a load bar with the words loading windows files appears this stays and progresses for about 10 min.
5. windows logo appears
6. a desktop background appears and then the computer restarts.

the same happenes even if i dont hit the esc button to access the startup menu upon boot.

I also had everything except for the mouse and keyboard unplugged form the computer.

any more help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Collapse -
That's proof to me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2014 12:30 AM PDT

That the HDD may need to be erased prior to restore or the hardware needs repair.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?