Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

When support for win2000 stops

MS has ended support for win98 and winMe. When do the support for win2000 stops. I had thought about bidding on a copy on E-bay. But if the support for
Win2000 is about to end. I may get XP Pro instead. As for Vista, I will wait until the 2nd release. 1st editions seems to always have bugs in them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When support for win2000 stops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When support for win2000 stops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Then the same questions?

In reply to: When support for win2000 stops

I found this area interesting since everyone fretted about this but when I asked if they had called Microsoft for support the answers were "never."

What are we losing here?

Bob

Collapse -
Call Microsoft, Really!

In reply to: Then the same questions?

The last time, I tried to call MS, to ask them a question. They told me that they couldn't talk to me, Unless I paid them $60 dollars up front. I hung the phone up. Thats been about 7years ago. And I haven't called them again, or brought another OS from them. I still have Win98 2nd edition,on my PC. And Of course I have a 2001 Macintosh Quicksilver, running OS Panther as my reliable back-up rig.
I just would like to upgrade my Win98 OS. If Vista is the way to go, I would still wait for the second one, with all the revisions.

Collapse -
That's why it doesn't matter.

In reply to: Call Microsoft, Really!

You are not using said support so why does it matter it's going away? This is no bug free version of Windows, so let's dismiss that idea as well.

Guess what OS I'm on right now?

Bob

PS> Yup, Windows 2000...

Collapse -
About bugs. Windows 2000 has them.

If you thought this one was bug free, it's not.

What's the goal here?

Bob

Collapse -
To help you guys out I know when suport for win 2K will end!

I am the IT tech at a small company and I have enterprise support for all my Microsoft windows OS's so I have much more flexibility with Microsoft then the average end user and just to let you all know extended phase support for windows 2000 will end June/July 2010. Now that means when windows 2000 leaves extended phase support you will no longer receive patch support for the OS unless you pay to receive patch support. You will also not be able to get phone support for the OS ether I hope this helps you guys out.

Collapse -
Tell me what what you think about...

In reply to: To help you guys out I know when suport for win 2K will end!

I run into many that fret over this issue but when I ask if they call Microsoft for support the answer has always been no. While my sample base is all of a few hundred people I've come to think that if said support isn't be used then why would it matter.

-> Are you finding those that worry about this are using Microsoft support?

Bob

Collapse -
Reply To Tell me what what you think about...

In reply to: Tell me what what you think about...

I am not so concerned about the phone technical support I think most people are more concerned about the Patch support the get from windows/Microsoft update As I said I am an IT tech for a small company and that it what I am worried about the patch support not the phone support ( I have called Microsoft tech support 2 the entire time I have had a windows computer)I hope this helps. oh and for those users who use
windows XP Home/Tablet PC/ & Media Center Edition patch support ends for that 2008. I f you have windows xp pro/pro 64-bit you get an extension till 2012. I hope this helps every one.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.