Speakeasy forum

General discussion

WHEN MUSLIMS SPEAK OUT!

We covered this on the air yesterday, but again people are demanding details.

We've often asked on the air why, if Islam the peaceful religion that many Muslims want us to believe it is, we don't hear more Muslims speaking out against Islamic terrorism. Well, now we may have an explanation.

Jamal Miftah is a Muslim residing in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is an immigrant from Pakistan. Jamal Miftah is a member of the Islamic Center of Tulsa Mosque. On October 29th Jiftah wrote an article for the op-ed page of the Tulsa World. Here is what he wrote:

Because of lack of knowledge of Islam, Muslim youth are misguided into believing by the so-called champions of the cause of Islam that the current spate of killings and barbarism, which has no equal in the recent civilized history, is jihad in the name of Islam. They are incited, in the name of Islam, to commit heinous crimes not pardonable by any religion and strictly forbidden in Islam....

Even mosques and Islamic institutions in the U.S. and around the world have become tools in [Al-Qaeda's] hands and are used for collecting funds for their criminal acts. Half of the funds collected go into the pockets of their local agents and the rest are sent to these thugs.

They are the reason for branding the peaceful religion of Islam as terrorism. The result, therefore, is in the form of Danish cartoons and remarks/reference by the Pope.

I appeal to the Muslim youth in particular and Muslims of the world in general to rise up and start jihad against the killers of humanity and help the civilized world to bring these culprits to justice and prove that Islam is not a religion of hatred and aggression.

I appeal to the Muslim clerics around the world that, rather than issuing empty fatwas condemning suicide bombing, they should issue a fatwa for the death of such scoundrels and barbarians who have taken more than 4,267 lives of innocent people in the name of Islam and have carried out more than 24 terrorist attacks on civilian installations throughout the world. This does not include the chilling number of deaths because of such activities in Iraq and Afghanistan, which is well over 250,000.

I appeal to al-Zawahri and his band of thugs to hand themselves over to justice and stop spreading evil and killing innocent humans around the world in the name of Islam. Their time is limited and Muslims of the world will soon rise against them to apprehend them and bring them to justice.

Well, that's a pretty striking condemnation of Islamic violence from a Muslim, wouldn't you say? Well it certainly didn't go over well with Jamal's fellow Tulsa Mosque. Jamal Miftah has been expelled from his Mosque until he apologizes for writing that letter. He has also been subjected to death threats and threats of violence from his fellow members of the religion of peace. Miftah was told that he should not criticize Islam in front of non-Muslims. I've re-read Jamal's letter, and for the life of me I can't see where he criticized Islam. I guess that if you criticize any Muslim that is considered to be criticizing Islam.

If you search the blogs on this matter you'll see a letter from Jamal Miftah responding to this situation. He says: "I am Jamal Miftah and I stand by what I have written. America is great country and so its people and I hope and pray that one day justice is done to the victims of 9/11, no matter what Mr. Kabbani, the Imam of Tulsa mosque or Mr. Abu Waleed, the spokesman for Islamic Society of Tulsa feel or say. God bless America."

Now there is one Muslim I would be proud to have as a neighbor and count as a friend.

me 2

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHEN MUSLIMS SPEAK OUT!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHEN MUSLIMS SPEAK OUT!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is interesting that...

In reply to: WHEN MUSLIMS SPEAK OUT!

Collapse -
Good for him

He might as well become a Christian and complete the transformation.

Collapse -
No matter how you meant that....

In reply to: Good for him

Did you consider that he would probably consider your remark an insult? I don't think that's the type of support that will get more of them to speak up....

Collapse -
and when they speak to each other

A Conversation With and a Portrait of Jamal Miftah By Ali Eteraz

and 'spin' is contagious::

The Islamic Center of Tulsa tried to spin his statements and protect themselves by playing the Kabbani card. Instead of focusing on what he said, they lied.

"We agree with most of his article, except the one statement that American mosques support terrorists.

"Our mosque does not, and I don't know of any that do," she said.

The thing is, Miftah didn't say what the IST is saying he did. He didn't say "American mosques support terrorists." He said "even" American mosques have been subverted in the past. Just because the IST does not know of any that have been so subverted does not mean that Miftah becomes wrong. He is right to call them liars.

Miftah is on the money when he said:

My article does not say anything to that effect by IST mosque in Tulsa rather it was reference to the mosque in Brooklyn (Al-Farooq Mosque) New York, California, Albany New York, Bridgeview Illinois, Allentown Pennsylvania and one Texas and the result of investigation on the London bombing plot leading its trails to funneling of earth quake donations collected in Britain to the terrorists involved. I have not yet made any allegation about IST on this count...

posted as: Explaining My Miftah Support By Ali Eteraz at http://eteraz.org/tag/america
Collapse -
Too few Muslims speak out as forthrightly as Miftah has but

In reply to: and when they speak to each other

I do think this is a situation where Nixon's term "a great Silent Majority" is accurate. Regrettably their leadership, including the imams, tend to come from the most conservative and defensive and self justifying groups. There are several here in Canada who have spoken out, but they are Muslims who have left their religious community for various reasons, Islam not being any more tolerant of deviation than some of the more conservative Christian sects. And there are lots of books written by Muslim scholars, the greatest of whom, Edward Said, has sadly died in the last 3 years but while including a lot of explanation for the Muslim irritation with the west, disowns the idiocy that passes for what the media concentrate on as Muslim thought and attitudes.

Sadly Muslim education, again controlled by some of the most conservative elements and those hostile to the changes occurring through the Muslim world's exposure to the West, has retreated into an ever more insular and warped reading of the Koran. Effectively they would like a Jihad against Television, so that American and European values could not sweep into Muslim households and challenge the views that have been controlled from the Muslim equivalent of the pulpit for the last 1200 years.

What Islam is confronting is essentially the Reformation and the Enlightenment and the growth of free thought and societal change that has taken the West from the 15th Century until now to absorb. There have been religious wars, particularly in the 16th and 17th Centuries, which make much of the "Islamic" attack on the West look rather trivial in scope, and these were wars between Christians.

Most of the Muslim violence is internal, Sunni vs Shia, with only a few attacks by the most provocative and frankly Looney Tunes elements as in Bali or the attack on the twin towers.

Lets try to remember that Osama bin Looney and the Taliban Tunes crowd are a minority opinion trying to terrorize and inspire their co-religionists into going along. Even Muamar Ghaddafi has moderated his tune having recognized that he was fighting not against a country or countries, but against ideas and mass communication. He, at least, has recognized a futile battle when he sees one, and I think his attitudes are far wider spread in the Muslim world than the coverage of horror stories that occupies the media here would indicate.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.