Speakeasy forum

General discussion

When is extremely Conservative not Conservative enough

by Ziks511 / July 6, 2005 12:48 AM PDT
Conservative Groups Rally Against Gonzales as Justice

Within hours after Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's announced retirement from the Supreme Court, members of conservative groups around the country convened in five national conference calls in which, participants said, they shared one big concern: heading off any effort by President Bush to nominate his attorney general, Alberto R. Gonzales, to replace her.

Late last week, a delegation of conservative lawyers led by C. Boyden Gray and former Attorney General Edwin Meese III met with the White House chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr., to warn that appointing Mr. Gonzales would splinter conservative support.

And Paul M. Weyrich, a veteran conservative organizer and chairman of the Free Congress Foundation, said he had told administration officials that nominating Mr. Gonzales, whose views on abortion are considered suspect by religious conservatives, would fracture the president's conservative backers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/politics/politicsspecial1/03scotus.html?th&emc=th

Sounds like a shakey coalition on the Right, with the lunatics attempting to run the asylum. Certainly makes sense (if you can call it that) of what's been going on.

Rob
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When is extremely Conservative not Conservative enough
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When is extremely Conservative not Conservative enough
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Funny guy
by Dragon / July 6, 2005 1:56 AM PDT
"They don't need me lobbying on this stuff - they know what to do," said Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, a conservative group with close ties to the White House. "My only recommendation is that they nominate someone who is 12 or 13 years old," to ensure as long a conservative legacy as possible.
Collapse -
So teh fact that different people have different opinions...
by EdH / July 6, 2005 2:13 AM PDT

is an example of the lunatics ruinnog the asylum?

Actually as a leftist you shouldn't be making ANY comments about lunatics. Especially considering the antics of **** Durbin and Ted Kennedy lately. Don't want to alienate any of your compatriots.

Collapse -
The reason Dems are surprised at the criticism
by dirtyrich / July 6, 2005 10:22 AM PDT

is that Dems by nature believe in everyone marching in lockstep...anyone questioning the party's beliefs is not a true Democrat.

Collapse -
Rob, I'm wondering if this may not be a case of

"Please don't throw me in that briar patch!" with hopes that feigned conservative opposition might bring Democratic support. Given his authorship of the torture memos, not very likely...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Torture memos
by EdH / July 6, 2005 3:08 AM PDT

see my post above, re: lunatics.

You guys oughtta cool it. It only reflects on youse.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Conservative concerns about Gonzalez have been long sta
by Evie / July 6, 2005 3:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Kind of a shame that none of our kids know that analogy.
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 12:35 AM PDT

Speaking of things that are not politically correct but are cerainly politically relevant. I still have the Disney Golden Book of the Uncle Remus stories, and you used (10 years ago) to be able to get the laser disc in Japan.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and the losers start again ho hum
by Mark5019 / July 6, 2005 3:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Rush Limbaugh said it best
by null. / July 6, 2005 4:10 AM PDT

yesterday
You liberals didn't win the election so SHUT UP!!!!!!!!

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Collapse -
Wow, you must consider anyone
by dirtyrich / July 6, 2005 8:28 AM PDT

left of Ted Kennedy as conservative.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.