Computer Help forum

Question

when installing win 7 it gets to step installing updates and

by whitefields / February 6, 2015 5:27 AM PST

when installing win 7 it gets to step installing updates and stops.this is an install of a laptop i was given by a friend that didn't work anymore.it was cleaned using diskpart and a new primary partition was created

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: when installing win 7 it gets to step installing updates and
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: when installing win 7 it gets to step installing updates and
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: installing updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 5:35 AM PST

Since you can install Windows 7 while not being connected to Internet, so it can't download updates, this error is really easy to prevent. If it still hangs, it's a hardware issue.

On a laptop, moreover, it's recommended to reinstall Windows from the recovery partition or the recovery disks made from that or bought from the manufacturer and then it won't update either.

If none of these methods work, you can conclude the laptop doesn't work anymore. Nothing lost. You didn't pay for it, and it didn't work either when you got it.

Kees

Collapse -
dont have recovery disks
by whitefields / February 6, 2015 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: installing updates

i used an iso file copied to usb using rufus programme.was trying to get it working for my wife whos gone back to college.
would it be a problem with the hard drive would replacing it solve the problem or is it a bigger issue

Collapse -
Re: hardware issue
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 6:02 AM PST

You don't know until either you run diagnostics or swap hardware. Buf somehow, if it is hardware, I suspect the motherboard or something on it (RAM, CPU) more than the disk.

Can you install Linux? That might very well suitable for your wife, since it comes with common software like a browser and a word processor.

Kees

Collapse -
linux system
by whitefields / February 6, 2015 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: hardware issue

never used linux not familiar with it at all

Collapse -
Many years ago...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: linux system
Collapse -
Answer
Something odd here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 5:44 AM PST

Most laptops, to restore the OS do not use diskpart. We also don't create that partition ahead of the install or restore. I'd use the makers supplied OS and do it exactly like they tell us to.
Bob

Collapse -
no discs
by whitefields / February 6, 2015 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Something odd here.

dont have disks for OS

Collapse -
I can't find make and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: no discs

Some are downloadable, some you have to order. Your restore plan looks flawed from the second step you wrote. In over a decade I've yet to create the partition before I start the Windows install. You may want to read on the web how to install Windows. It's been done many times so I don't duplicate that here but will note when somethings amiss.
Bob

Collapse -
OEM disks
by pgc3 / February 6, 2015 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: no discs

You never said what the manufacturer of the unit is/was..the problem I see is that you don't have the OEM, manufacturer's disks, for starters. It also sounds as if the unit may have other issues. IF the hardware is functional Mr. Proffitt's suggestion of Linux Mint, given the circumstances, would be a good way to go, specifically Mint 17, I run Mint 17 on a Toshiba laptop and honestly, for my purposes, prefer it over Windows.

Collapse -
dell latitude e6400
by whitefields / February 6, 2015 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: OEM disks

Sorry dell latitude e6400,tried linux but it keeps finding an error just before it finishes loading tried this 3 times with linux mint and ubuntu.Msg says this error is usually attributed to hardx disk error.what to do next,any suggestions ?

Collapse -
e6400
by pgc3 / February 6, 2015 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: dell latitude e6400

This unit is getting a bit old to do a lot with, from an economical standpoint. IF it is the HDD and IF you had the Dell OS disks, it might be worth a shot but this was a Win Vista system, need I say more. Given the situation you might be better off buying something else..You could take it to a competent tech shop..get an estimate but I fear it may be cost prohibitive to get it up and running.

Collapse -
cheers
by whitefields / February 6, 2015 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: e6400

dont have the cash,im not working at the minute.might try scraping together enough to get a new hard drive and try that,otherwise its off to that gr8 big computer farm in the sky for this one.Thanks for all your help.ill get back in a few wks and let you know if new hard drive sorted the problem.

Collapse -
e6400
by pgc3 / February 6, 2015 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: cheers

IF it is just the HDD, look at Mr. Proffitt's link re: Amazon..then it might be worth doing..I am STILL leaning toward Linux Mint 17 as an OS OVER Vista given the stock hardware in the system. That unit is shown with 2GB of ram, bare bones for Vista or Win 7...but plenty for Linux Mint. If you went with Vista or 7, the recommendation would be to pump up the RAM another 2 GB to get decent performance= more monetary outlay. Your call, good luck!!

Collapse -
Good find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 11:37 PM PST

Did you try another HDD? The e6400 I looked at take a standard HDD such as this http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Drives-Notebook-WD5000LPVX/dp/B00C9TECFO/ which is under 50 today. If this was mine I'd pop for the 7200 RPM at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSUTWMQ/ref=psdc_1254762011_t3_B008BTOBWA which is just over 50.

Maybe this is why they parted with the machine?
Bob

PS. Remember about those downloads? For Dell you can read and find them at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19404941

Collapse -
how to fix it
by James Denison / February 7, 2015 3:40 AM PST

Find out WHAT manufacturer made the hard disk. Download the diagnostic software from that manufacturer. The main hard drive makers are Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba.

It will look something like this;

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/WDdiagnosticDriveTest-2-Oct2013.jpg

As for linux, it doesn't NEED a hard disk to run, so try booting it from the DVD you created or purchased with the hard disk removed from the laptop. It is also extremely stable. My desktop I leave on all the time, just let it sleep between uses, it's a lower power unit, here's one time I did page capture just to show how stable it was, no reboot over 100 days, even after multiple updates to the system. Unlike windows, you only need to reboot for updates if you install a new kernel and want to boot into it. (the old kernel remains for use if needed or desired)

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/101_days.png

In fact, I don't even use a hard disk in my old laptop with Linux, I have it installed to a $10 flashdrive which I keep on my keychain. Added benefit is my data is encrypted, so if lost, no worry. Even better, windows computers can ONLY read the first partition on a flashdrive, so I sometimes install mine to a second partition I create on it using GParted, leaving the first as FAT32 to use for file sharing when wanted. If I do a full install, then using EXT* file systems is sufficient for denying windows users to the data, and "on the fly" encryption locks it up the rest of the way.

My use of both go back aways. Wink
http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/100_2118Linboot98.jpg

Here's a Kubuntu (12.04) I run from a 16 GB Kingston Flash Drive.
http://glenburniemd.net/Linux/Kingston16GB_KubuntuDesktop1.jpg

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/Mint17FlashDrive_Feb2015.png
For you, I made this screen capture of a Mint 17 MATE flashdrive. You can see the Home folder for Mint 17, and it says Empty because that's what it shows when encrypted and viewed in a file manager by someone else. Unless someone has the password, all they can recover from it are encrypted files which are worthless to them. The flashdrive is 16GB in size, the fully installed system (different than using LIVE type install) is about 5GB of that, the rest is for data. Full install would normally be about 8GB in size, but for more data room I stripped out some programs I won't be using. I plug this into my laptop USB port and boot from it.

There's no reason a failed hard drive should should sideline your laptop. You can put an LIVE install on the flashdrive, or a FULL install.

Collapse -
slow slow slow
by whitefields / February 7, 2015 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: how to fix it

I did as you suggested and removed the hard drive.installed mint burned with imgburn and loaded disk ,plugged in 16gb flash drive i had.this worked but now the issue is everything is running unbelievably slow.could this be an indicator that there is another problem or does mint run slower than other OS systems.really with it running this slowly it is pointless.

Collapse -
Re: running from USB
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 7, 2015 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: slow slow slow

Yes, that can be slower, although it depends on what you do. I'd try another hard disk and give up if that doesn't make much difference for Linux and Windows still doesn't install. A 1 TB hard disk is quite nice to backup to once you have a working PC again.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: running from USB
by whitefields / February 7, 2015 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: running from USB

I have an external HDD 500GB could i use this(was using it to store old movies)instead of internal HDD.If i burned win 7 ISO file i got off a friend to a disc and reloaded this instead of the bootable usb i was trying to use and like before completly remove old HDD,could this work or is the issue with the slowness systematic of a deeper issue.Starting to lose the rag with this but dont want to let it beat me.Ultimatly it seems nobody gives away stuff thats working fine,should have known

Collapse -
Re: hard disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2015 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: running from USB

If your motherboard supports this kind of hard disk (IDE or SATA) you surely can install it inside the case and install Windows 7 or Linux on it (or even both, start with Windows 7 then and leave 100 GB for the later Linux partition).

Kees

Collapse -
yes, the full install on a flash drive
by James Denison / February 7, 2015 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: slow slow slow

can run slow till all programs used are loaded to the RAM. Faster is to use Unetbootin to install the LIVE version, with "persistence" added, which maxes at 4.3 GB, so you can set it during installation to 5 GB and it will adjust to max 4.3 GB allowed. This compressed system actually runs faster, because decompression by the CPU of the squash file happens faster than reading the fully installed system on a slow flashdrive.

When I make one that way, I create two partitions on the flash drive using GParted. The 2nd partition I make at 6-6.5 GB in size and then install the LIVE version (burn the ISO file) to that partition. It must be FAT32 formatted. The first partition can be FAT32 or one of the EXT type formats.

The LIVE system is about 1.3 GB that has to be read from the flashdrive, whereas the fully installed could be 7-8 GB which must be read, so obviously the slow read from the flash takes 4-5 times longer on the uncompressed fully installed system.

Collapse -
out of my depth
by whitefields / February 7, 2015 9:59 PM PST

no idea of how to do any of this use "Unetbootin to install the LIVE version, with "persistence" added", not to be facetious but is persistence not what ive been doing or is that the name of a program.is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do this.DO i Have to partition flash first using gparted before i load up iso file and what is a live version rather than what ive been using.Very confused and maybe a bit out of my depth.it is probably easy but when u dont know the steps its confusing

Collapse -
A conversation about that
by itsdigger / February 8, 2015 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: out of my depth
Collapse -
Just buy that new hard disk.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2015 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: out of my depth

And install Linux on it from the DVD you burned.

If it fails it's some other hardware issue than the hard disk and you either can use that new hard disk as a backup disk, or sell it second hand, or install in your new PC as data disk or even as the only disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Let's chat about "iso file copied to usb using rufus"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2015 3:48 AM PST

Frankly you have the iffy start with creating a partition before we do our Windows install, and now this nugget "iso file copied to usb using rufus".

Why not try it like it was meant to be installed? From the DVD meant for this laptop? You've created some new install method and it failed. Why not go back to how the maker and many others install routine?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.