Speakeasy forum

General discussion

When Fahrenheit and Celsius numbers match

by James Denison / February 5, 2015 7:48 PM PST

It happened today, this morning, they both met at the same number of 11.4 degrees this morning here in Maryland, except the Celsius was negative and the Fahrenheit was positive. Both scales meet at the same -40 degrees number though, so that's Canada and Siberia at times? Record here is 1 degree F set in 1895.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When Fahrenheit and Celsius numbers match
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When Fahrenheit and Celsius numbers match
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) It's -27 C here
by JP Bill / February 5, 2015 8:06 PM PST
Collapse -
the coldest
by James Denison / February 6, 2015 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: It's -27 C here

I've had to be outside in was about 20 years ago at 2 F, walking the oldest 2 to the bus stop. Made my face bones ache facing a small breeze on the way back.

Collapse -
The worst for me was Jan.1994
by itsdigger / February 6, 2015 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: the coldest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_North_American_cold_wave

That day I was working at the bottom of a drop shaft on a Jack Pipe tunnel job and a hydraulic cylinder broke loose from it's supports and landed on top of my feet and broke the arches on both feet. That cylinder weighed around 8 tons.

My feet were so cold that I didn't know they were broke until I got to the hospital and they cut my boots off .
I wouldn't let them cast my right foot though as I still had to drive home . I didn't get a cast on that foot until a few days later. Man !

I still have nightmares about that one.

Digger
Collapse -
I've been in negative fahrenheit temps many times
by Steven Haninger / February 6, 2015 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: the coldest

We'd call it "snot freezing cold" when it got to where it was painful to breathe. I believe the coldest I've been in was in Prospect Hts. Illinois over Christmas at the in-laws. This was '84 or '85. It was 25 below and I went out to start my car to move it out of the way of someone who needed to leave. The engine cranked over...barely, chugged a few times, and I heard a loud clunk. It would start no more. Surprisingly, the the starter motor would still crank away. I decided to have someone else turn the key as a checked the exhaust. Sure enough, there was vacuum at the exhaust as the engine cranked. This meant the timing chain had either slipped or broken. This was a Dodge Aries wagon with a Mitsubishi engine...a K car...on a snot freezing cold night.

Collapse -
at least that model is "non interference" engine
by James Denison / February 6, 2015 5:18 AM PST

Or you might have had even worse engine problem.

Collapse -
It was a company car
by Steven Haninger / February 6, 2015 5:57 AM PST

We were permitted personal use of vehicles but had a sum deducted from our pay for that privilege. I didn't need to pay for repairs but I know the car was junked by the fleet administrator as it was almost due for replacement anyway. That was a strong little engine for a 2.6 liter. I remember it had one odd problem and that was carburettor icing on those cold foggy mornings. If you've ever seen hoarfrost, it was those times that the car wouldn't last more than 20 minutes on the highway before sputtering to a halt. I'd need to stop the car and let the engine heat thaw out the carb and then I could go another 20 minutes.

Collapse -
we had the Reliant
by James Denison / February 6, 2015 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: It was a company car

it was '88 and had a warmer module on it for the carburetor, one of those that takes some heat off the exhaust manifold. Some of those only worked for starting period, others used air temp to control, so during extreme cold they could open it back up some pulling air past the exhaust to warm it up.

Collapse -
thinking back some more
by James Denison / February 6, 2015 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: we had the Reliant

...I remember putting cardboard in front of the condensor, which blocked the radiator too and left it there for the winter or till temps got above freezing regular. I remember I wanted the heater in the car to be warmer.

Collapse -
I remember walking the dog one night
by Diana Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 5:37 AM PST

When I came in and turned on the TV, it was 25 below with a wind chill of 50 below. Haven't seen that low since.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?